• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for turbo idea's

hy35 is the only turbo that has a flange mount elbo that connects to the downpipe thru the fared compression fit...any turbo you upgrade to will require you to either replace the downpipe or modify yours..

richie:thumbup2:

--- update to the previous post...

upgrading the exhaust to 4 or 5"inch wont help egt's much if any...the hy35 has a 9cm exhaust housing and that elbo on the rear that connects to your downpipe is 3" or less ...however with a pyrometer you should be able to run it fine as a dd if you are not towing heavy, ..just watch thar pyro.. Cause you cant stay in the throttle very long at all....also a boost elbo and boost fooler will help keep it spooled up longer but thehy35 still runs out at 2000rpm even w boost fooler

i just took one of and replaced with an ats auroa 3000 & pulseflow manifold

hope this helps!

richie:thumbup2:

how do u like it?

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up just keeping the hx35 i put on it.. Put a new gasket on the bottom oil return line and stoped the oil leak i had.. It spools alright..I think the egt gauge I had wasnt working properly cause i got a new egt gauge in it now and read MUCH lower then the hy. runs bout 600 most the time and if i stay on it long enough it will get to 1000* but take a awhile. Havent had it over 1000* with a edge comp on 5x5. So im happy with it.. Thanks for asking.

--- Update to the previous post...

egt gauge I had on it before was reading 800 all the time and hit over 1000* easy with the same turbo only truck was stock. Now I can run edge Comp 5x5 and still be in save zone.

Awesome man. I have the hx35 and i just dynoed two months ago and hit 380 on first run. 402 was my best. They had no torque reader. You can get 350 hp out of that turbo with just a few hundred bucks. As long as you have a GOOD turbo, it will get there if that's what you want. Don't be to discouraged with the hx.

I have the HX35 w/ adjustable elbow, BHAF(big honkin air filter), a 5 level BD Power box(same as Edge Comp I believe),stage 3 injectors(300 hp), rebuilt 47re tranny, ATS ex manifold,4 in T/B,Holley Blue secondary fuel pump...not really anything spectacular but it runs good for me. There was a guy at Industrial Injection, on the same day I dynoed mine, that almost hit 500 on stock turbo(not exaggerating). My father-in-law has an 01 that dynoed I believe 435 hp with 1000 lbs torque...and the only big difference in our trucks is he has a full blown Suncoast drag tranny and Edge Comp Drag. I have heard of several guys getting 400 hp on an HX35. You don't really want to spike much over 35 psi on it though, I believe. Where are you at now with your truck? mods? turbo psi? etc???

HY35 is the only turbo that has a flange mount elbo that connects to the downpipe thru the fared compression fit...any turbo you upgrade to will require you to either replace the downpipe or modify yours..

I don't understand this because mine has this type of connection but it is an hx turbo:shrug: I went and checked for probably the 5th time and it still says HX35W on the tag.

I have the HX35 w/ adjustable elbow, BHAF(big honkin air filter), a 5 level BD Power box(same as Edge Comp I believe),stage 3 injectors(300 hp), rebuilt 47re tranny, ATS ex manifold,4 in T/B,Holley Blue secondary fuel pump...not really anything spectacular but it runs good for me. There was a guy at Industrial Injection, on the same day I dynoed mine, that almost hit 500 on stock turbo(not exaggerating). My father-in-law has an 01 that dynoed I believe 435 hp with 1000 lbs torque...and the only big difference in our trucks is he has a full blown Suncoast drag tranny and Edge Comp Drag. I have heard of several guys getting 400 hp on an HX35. You don't really want to spike much over 35 psi on it though, I believe. Where are you at now with your truck? mods? turbo psi? etc???

I got the BHAF, Edge comp, 5in turbo back exhaust, HX35, did have gauges but sold em to get some new ones and havent got them yet. I saw max on this hx so far bout 25 psi.

I got to build up my tranny.. I cant even run the box on 5x5 in overdrive just tap it a little and its slipping the converter. no fun.. cant punch it or lug it down then get on it..

I got the BHAF, Edge comp, 5in turbo back exhaust, HX35, did have gauges but sold em to get some new ones and havent got them yet. I saw max on this hx so far bout 25 psi.

I got to build up my tranny.. I cant even run the box on 5x5 in overdrive just tap it a little and its slipping the converter. no fun.. cant punch it or lug it down then get on it..

i have a banks ottomind tuner, their quick turbo with big head waste gate and see 33 to 34 pounds in 4th 5th and 6th not quite as high in the lower gears unless i am pulling. would it not be difficult to get higher pressures with a waste gate that opens at 25 psi? as i remember my waste gate is supposed to open at 35.

how do u like it?

so far i love it

what i mean is the downpipe on the HY35 is made to connect the Elbo ON THR REAR OF hy35..if you swap out with the HX35 the pipe will not reach without modifing your Downpipe or buying one..HX35 is made for the downpipe to couple directly to the rear of turbo via A V-BAND Clamp

That is at almost a full turbo spool...but the weight was not that much. We are talking a 6X14 ft trailer with a Ranger 4X4 on it and a Honda 230CRF in my bed. I was climbing 2000 ft elevation though too. If I pulled more weight, the temp would obviously go up more I'm sure. I just haven't seen over 1000 but that one time. And the HX35 will go well over 25psi. Mine would hold 28 before I put the adjustable elbow on. Now it will hold between 32-35 psi. I talked to a guy last week from Pennsylvania that claimed to spike 42+ on his HX...who knows

That is at almost a full turbo spool...but the weight was not that much. We are talking a 6X14 ft trailer with a Ranger 4X4 on it and a Honda 230CRF in my bed. I was climbing 2000 ft elevation though too. If I pulled more weight, the temp would obviously go up more I'm sure. I just haven't seen over 1000 but that one time. And the HX35 will go well over 25psi. Mine would hold 28 before I put the adjustable elbow on. Now it will hold between 32-35 psi. I talked to a guy last week from Pennsylvania that claimed to spike 42+ on his HX...who knows

where's your EGT probe tapped ??