• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

home to install new ADII

i leaving OK to head home wednesday. while there i am going to install my new ADII 165. it came with a kit to replace the intank lift pump i have grown to love so much. Has any one here replaced an in tank pump? if so is there anything i should watch out for? the instructions look pretty straight forward but you never know. my try getting it running with the tank on the ground and rehang once it is runnig right. any input would be appreciated.

I had my AD 150 installed. If you have the pickup in the OEM basket, the AD return must be back to the basket (or the line). If your pickup is outside the basket, the return should be also. The problem is that the basket screen itself is designed around the flow capabilities of the OEM pump. The 150 - 165 pumps several times the flow of the OEM pump... the basket will just not flow that much. At low fuel levels its apparently possible to pump the basket dry & draw air with fuel still in the tank. I found this out when my install was in progress... I had put the system together from parts some used, some new to save money & the mixed parts were going to cause me grief. Hope this helps,Russ

as i remember the instructions both the pickup and the return go into the basket. since my intank paump was added about 5 years ago i dont know wether the basket has a screen as it came with or when they installed the pump they used the new style basket. i gues i will find out when it comes out.:shrug:

Does the AD165 not come with the fitting to cut the filler hose and run the return in there? That's how the 150 is. For the fuel pick-up I just found a good place to cut a hole in the top of the tank and put the draw straw in it. It all worked pretty slick.

Does the AD165 not come with the fitting to cut the filler hose and run the return in there? That's how the 150 is. For the fuel pick-up I just found a good place to cut a hole in the top of the tank and put the draw straw in it. It all worked pretty slick.

the AD II utilizes all of the plumbing in the basket. the return line from the pump is installed in the basket also.

it requires drilling a hole and installing a fitting.

--- Update to the previous post...

I've got the old school draw straw and just got back from Boise, ID where I ran my tank all the way down to 1/16 of tank with a old school draw straw from AirDog 150 with no sucking air problems. :stuned:

Posted Image

i have always been able to run my tank dry with no problem befor and after the in tank pamp install. it might be crazy but i have always been one to run my tnak as fas as i can. i have put 35 gallons in my tank at fill on multiple occasions. ran out of fuel twice too:cry:. my fault. thats the only time i have had air sucking problems. i use the odometer as much as the fuel gauge when making trips.

i have got nothing against the draw straw. but if what comes with the AD works good i would just as soon use it. the thought of having to do it twice is stuck in the back of my mind.

do you see a benefit in using the drw straw over the stock fuel basket? does it flow the fuel any better? i might could see a benifit from the return from the pump being away from the fuel pickup.

If I had it to do over, when I installed my ad II I would definitely ordered the drawstraw! Actually I ordered one lastnight! Going to be installing it soon! Other than that install is pretty easy!! W

are you having problems with set up? getting fuel to the engine is no problem for me as it is now. if i go as intructed i will just be removing the intank pump and replumbing it plus installing the return line from the pump. just wondering if you see a benifit from the draw straw over using the fuel basket.

• Staff

Unless you need the draw straw for power reasons I would stay away from one. There are many more issues with them than good stories like Mike's. A stock pickup should be plenty for you, the ADII uses an internal regulator and is not pumping 165GPH all the time, unlike the 150/100 GPH units.

• Like 2

Unless you need the draw straw for power reasons I would stay away from one. There are many more issues with them than good stories like Mike's. A stock pickup should be plenty for you, the ADII uses an internal regulator and is not pumping 165GPH all the time, unlike the 150/100 GPH units.

the only thing in the near futur for me is a set of RV 275s. the the basket should still provide more fuel than i need. i think i will save my money and install in the basket. it has worked good all these years. i dont see why it wont keep on working.

I installed the fittings that came with my ad II and I had problems with the tube being cracked! I made my own draw tube to use after the problems I had sucking air! Now I'm having problems with 1/4 tank issue that's why I'm going to be installing the drawtube in mine!

• Staff

the only thing in the near futur for me is a set of RV 275s. the the basket should still provide more fuel than i need. i think i will save my money and install in the basket. it has worked good all these years. i dont see why it wont keep on working.

You may need to source a non in-tank basket.

I installed the fittings that came with my ad II and I had problems with the tube being cracked! I made my own draw tube to use after the problems I had sucking air! Now I'm having problems with 1/4 tank issue that's why I'm going to be installing the drawtube in mine!

did yur fuel basket have a screen at the bottom or was it solid with the rubber flapper? if it was solid did you drill the holes in the side of the basket the instructions call for? i could see that not letting enoudgh fuel in.

this gets better with every post:ahhh:. to ds or not to ds, that is the question. i thinking of install the fuel pickup strapped to the outside of the basket instead of the inside. seems to me that would esentially give you the same as a draw straw.

• Staff

Based on what I have seen on the forums over the last few years I have zero desire to ever run a draw-straw. At 500 or less rwhp I think the best option is an OEM basket with a doorman to hose fitting on it. Above 500rwhp a modified stock basket!

If you just race/pull and need the unrestricted flow of a drawstraw just plan on never going below 1/4 tank.

Personally I like this the best.

Posted Image

Stock pickup reliability with greatly improved flow.

Based on what I have seen on the forums over the last few years I have zero desire to ever run a draw-straw. At 500 or less rwhp I think the best option is an OEM basket with a doorman to hose fitting on it. Above 500rwhp a modified stock basket!

If you just race/pull and need the unrestricted flow of a drawstraw just plan on never going below 1/4 tank.

Personally I like this the best.

Posted Image

Stock pickup reliability with greatly improved flow.

is there a screen in the bottom of the basket or holes to let the fuel in?

• Staff

I believe that one is still stock. Return flow should be plenty to keep it full, in addition to the screen. Lets look at how much fuel a stock motor can burn. Since I know the specs lets use my 325hp 05 motor. At WOT and rated rpm (2900) it uses 132 mm^3 per injection. That's 87000 injections in an hour, or 30.3 GPH. So lets say it's linear (for arguments sake) and thats .093 GPH^2 (Gallons per horespower per hour), so a 400 rwhp rig would burn 37.3 GPH, so even with a 100 GPH pump your putting nearly 63% of the fuel back to the tank at WOT.. plenty to keep the psi up and the basket full.Hi flow pumps aren't needed for their max flow, but to maintain the set psi across a broader range of flow. An internally regulated pump shouldn't have more than a 1-2 psi drop from idle to WOT, unless your motor is using all the fuel the pump can push at that psi. Remember a 165 GPH ADII flows 165 GPH at 0psi, and less as the pressure goes up.

I'm thinking of getting the ADII and the guy at diesel performance products suggested using the kit that comes with the pump and not a draw straw. My question is what is involved with the install (in the tank). Also how do you know if there is an in tank pump or not?

If you have a pump by the block it would be by the fuel filter cannister. Or bump the starter and listen for the noise of the pump running. That would tell you where the pump is at!

So its one or the other, not both?