• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Who Makes the Best Magnetic Oil Pan Drain Plug?

I am looking for a good quality magnetic oil pan drain plug for my wife's 2001. I have one of the Geno's Garage magnetic oil drain plugs on my truck which is a very good plug but the magnet is kinda weak. It does OK. Does anyone know of any other good quality magnetic oil pan drain plugs? I ordered one from Power **** Racing on ebay. The magnet is really strong but the plug is not the right size and is junk. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Owner

You could always just put a strong magnet on the oil filter so every time you change oil just pull the magnet off the filter and use again. All the metal stays inside the filter cartridge. Or just upgrade to a bypass filter like Frantz or Motorguard. They both filter down to 1/10 or so...

Changing the bypass filter is a partial change. 'The solution to pollution is dilution'. The Frantz is a short change for less than $5 with most price charts.If you use a NAPA or Wix they keep working until the can does not get warm, an engine well cared for and not abused ( lugging esp ) will last over 3 years. I lose confidence at about that time because I have seen disintigrated filters at a guess of 6-10 years. The NAPA will stop working on a dirty engine in as little as 4 months but the pickup that I liked well enough to put a filter on a dirty engine cleaned up in 5 filters with Castrol oil.The last that I got were Wix in the old box, so there is some left. They look good when I cut them, so if it is close to 3 years when an oil change is due it gets changed as well.keydl

keydl,Are you saying you like the Frantz or not? I couldn't make heads or tails of what your point was, sorry I did not comprehend your reply. :confused: I'm going to put a strong magnet on the bottom of my filter as instructed by Michael, another good tip. :thumbsup Dave

• Owner

keydl, Are you saying you like the Frantz or not? I couldn't make heads or tails of what your point was, sorry I did not comprehend your reply. :confused: I'm going to put a strong magnet on the bottom of my filter as instructed by Michael, another good tip. :thumbsup Dave

Sorry... I love my Frantz Filter... 1. Filters are just a roll of Toilet paper... (Super cheap and always available from home!) 2. Frantz filters tend to be able to filter down to 1/10 of a micron. As for the magnet... It would help... The only problem I see is the magnet popping off the filter on rough roads... :confused:

• 1 year later...

Try www.Goldplug.com for magnetic engine oil drain plugs.

I am looking for a good quality magnetic oil pan drain plug for my wife's 2001. I have one of the Geno's Garage magnetic oil drain plugs on my truck which is a very good plug but the magnet is kinda weak. It does OK. Does anyone know of any other good quality magnetic oil pan drain plugs? I ordered one from Power **** Racing on ebay. The magnet is really strong but the plug is not the right size and is junk. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Just to follow up on this thread, I bought some rare earth magnets from Harbor Freight. These magnest are REALLY strong. I put a package of them on the side of the oil filter towards the bottom on both truck. Works like a champ and the price was right. :thumbup2:http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html I also installed these oil drain pan plugs. They are VERY good quality, hold torque well, and although not nearly as strong as the rare earth magnets still do catch a noticable amount of gray metalic matter. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HDOP-KIT-18MM2 http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HDOP-KIT-22MM These drain plugs in my opinion are FAR and away MUCH better than the OEM Cummin 3/8 squard drive drain plugs that make such a mess at each oil change.

• Like 1

• Staff

I have always wanted to put a couple magnets on my filters, I just never have. It seems silly to even me, but I am worried about the filter being damaged by too strong of a magnet pulling metal thru the media and lowering the filtration rating.. Now I know that if I have that big of materiel in my filter I am screwed, and the magnet would have to pull harder than 80psi of oil pressure pushes.. but that's how my mind works :banghead:

• Owner

Actually AH64ID the oil passes from the outside to the inside of the filter. So no it won't actually do that.. It would attract the metal to the side of the can and then the non-ferrous metals, and debris would stick to the media. So its completely safe to use a magnet. Now on the Frantz Filter its backwards... It goes from the inside to the outside. So in that case you would put the magnet in the center stem. But i'm not to worried being that Frantz filters down to 1/2 micron... Pretty small... But the magnet in the drain plug or filter would still be a awesome idea... :thumbup2:

• Staff

Yeah I figured that outside in was standard flow and wouldn't be hurt by magnets.. They are on the list to get, just haven't yet. Has anyone ever done a lab rating test on a Frantz? I know they filter very very fine, but at what %age? I mean a screen door will catch 2% of all 1/2 micron particles..

You could always just put a strong magnet on the oil filter so every time you change oil just pull the magnet off the filter and use again. All the metal stays inside the filter cartridge. Or just upgrade to a bypass filter like Frantz or Motorguard. They both filter down to 1/10 or so...

i have a strong magnet on my oil filter oil pan and tranny pan.they are rare earth magnets.takes every bit of both hands to get them to come off of there.:thumbup2::smart:

--- Update to the previous post...

here is some magnets i was talking about.http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

is everyone using Neodymium-Iron-Boron magnets?

if you heat them beyond 170 degrees Fahrenheit (80 degrees Celsius) the magnets will begin to loose their magnetic properties. Sustaining these temperatures for a length of time or heating the magnet significantly higher than this will permanently demagnetize it. Other types of magnets such as Samarium-Cobalt have higher heat resistance.

i thought engine oil got up to 300* i think the cobalt magnets are more expensive

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

It's been a while, but I ordered 5 sets of those harbor freight rare earth magnets (couldn't get just one, had to make the parts more money than the shipping!), and a magnetic drain plug from Geno's on the way. I'll probably put a set on the bypass, full flow, coolant filter, and put one set on each of my other two rigs.

It's been a while, but I ordered 5 sets of those harbor freight rare earth magnets (couldn't get just one, had to make the parts more money than the shipping!), and a magnetic drain plug from Geno's on the way. I'll probably put a set on the bypass, full flow, coolant filter, and put one set on each of my other two rigs.

I keep 10 of those magnets on the lower part of my oil filters on both trucks. Nest best think to a magnetic oil pan drain plug. :thumbup2: These are the magnets I got on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Magcraft-NSN0573-8-Inch-Magnets-30-Count/dp/B000SJ61EC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328126343&sr=8-1

http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=122&osCsid=b698d573015b1eb04d5b8350fe4160d0 i stuck several 2x2 neodymium magnets in the bottom of my oil pan when i had it off a while back. dont need to clean them off, each one pulls about 500 lbs.

neodymium work perfectly. From what i am told they are the strongest. If they would somehow fall off the oil filter they would never hit the ground.