• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

this weekend i am taking my tranny out and preparing to install another one next week end. i have read several write ups here and feel confident i can do this. i know the nv5600 is quite heavy and i am prepared for that. just how heavy is the transfer case? i dont want ot get clobbered by it either.i figured while I had it out i would replace the seals since they leak slightly. does a seal removal tool make the job any easier? i have seen other ways, but if the tool is worth spending the money on i am all for it. any advice is appreciated.

i have got a 3 ton floor jack. have to do the work in my back yard which is going to be challenge, but it is all i have and i am just going to deal with it. i have seen specs that say the tranny weighs 360# and 460# dont know which it is so i am prepared for the heaviest, i hope. got plenty of help. i cant believe the transfer case is any worse.

I dont think it weighs that much but I may be wrong. I just helped put a clutch in a 5 speed 4wd and it was hard enough getting the input shaft lined up with the clutch with a tranny jack, lift and 2 of us pushing/wiggling. Put your tranny in gear before you start to put it back in and God be with you.

i have got a 3 ton floor jack. have to do the work in my back yard which is going to be challenge, but it is all i have and i am just going to deal with it. i have seen specs that say the tranny weighs 360# and 460# dont know which it is so i am prepared for the heaviest, i hope. got plenty of help. i cant believe the transfer case is any worse.

Go rent a trans jack from your local rental,usually if you rent fri/sat you get the weekend for a day rate,save yourself some headaches

I tryed to do my auto and transfer case solo. I removed it all fine. On the install i found out i needed a frame stretcher, I used the factory jack and a 2x6, then my wife jacked up the tranny and i moved it in until i could get a bolt in. I used a floor jack and a strap. I did the transfer case myself. It was heavy and hard to do but it worked out. Be careful.

Go rent a trans jack from your local rental,usually if you rent fri/sat you get the weekend for a day rate,save yourself some headaches

got home to late for the jack. will just ahve to make do with the floor jack.

--- Update to the previous post...

Go ahead and get you some plywood, I know how the back yard install goes:rolleyes:

plywood laid. transfer case tomorrow. it does help nicely

I tryed to do my auto and transfer case solo. I removed it all fine. On the install i found out i needed a frame stretcher, I used the factory jack and a 2x6, then my wife jacked up the tranny and i moved it in until i could get a bolt in. I used a floor jack and a strap. I did the transfer case myself. It was heavy and hard to do but it worked out. Be careful.

got my hydraulic jack to spread the frame.fot plenty of straps too. think my wife might have to much fun dropping the jack. my grandson helped with things and did a pretty good job considering he is only 13.

what is a good way to tell the condition of the center support bearing?

Best advice I can give on experience is Take off as 1 component (tranny/transfercase)Put back on seperately ..... tranny then TC.Had a hell of a time with 2 of us trying to align it all due to the weight. 2 hours of frustration and swearing.Took of TC and got her up aligned and bolted in in under 10 mins after TC was off.Only other hard part was getting the tranny out from under the truck - had to jack side of truck up heavily on wood supports.:thumb1:

Best advice I can give on experience is Take off as 1 component (tranny/transfercase) Put back on seperately ..... tranny then TC. Had a hell of a time with 2 of us trying to align it all due to the weight. 2 hours of frustration and swearing. Took of TC and got her up aligned and bolted in in under 10 mins after TC was off. Only other hard part was getting the tranny out from under the truck - had to jack side of truck up heavily on wood supports. :thumb1:

due to the weight of the nv5600 i figured seperating them and taking them down seperately would be better but i am always open to suggestions. yours a 6 speed also?

NoIts an auto - but with an 3x disk TC full of fluid also :) Thats almost as heavy as transfer case itself :) It comes down pretty easy once its balanced on jack with straps as your not trying to align.It was just going back in that sucked as the weight makes it real hard to align 1/4" here and 1/4" there ..... was amazing the difference.Just saves having to do it twice - but main point was not trying to put it all back on in one piece :thumb1:On a side note - it was amazing to see how easy the shop got it all in and out not working on the ground and with proper tranny jack. Working at head height and having all that room makes such a difference it was crazy.I dropped my tranny with a mate to do the VB and teh 3x disk. Working on ground like you. I had it rebuilt by a DTT tranny guy. Night and day.

glad to hear i am not the only one crawling around on the dirt. me and my grandson got everything off of the truck except the tranny. too many thunder storms. man that tranny got bigger every time i looked at it under the truck. i got my replacement today and talk about big. the bill of lading that came with it says it weighs 201#. i cant pick up one end of the pallet it is on. i think 400# is alot closer. BIG QUESTION? should there be any play in the input shaft? it sticks out of a tube on the front of the tranny. my repacement has about a 32nd of play either up or down or side to side. does this sound normal?

i am going to put a new front a rear seal in the new tranny before i install it. it appears you must remove the tube from the front to acces the seal. is there anything i should be watching out for when i take it off. i downloaded the FSM but it will not open. there is some sort of error.so i am on my own on this one. i would ask the same question about the rear seal. any help is appreciated.

the tranny is off and out of the truck.:hyper: the new to me one goes in tomorrow. everything i read said to be sure an support the rear of the engine, so i blocked it up with some wood. when they seperated the engine lifted and the blocking fell out. i was a little suprised at that. ijust hope it does not making lining them up any harder.

we manged to get the old tranny off and the new tranny on this weekend. there was alot of work we still needed to do to make this happen. i snapped one of the crossmember bolts so that will have to wiat until tomorrow along with the tansfercase and driveline. thankd god the heavy lifting is over. I got a brother and a son who are pretty happy about that one also. tomorrow the wife is my helper. we sill see how that goes. it does have some promise.

when the old tranny was out i spun the input shaft and there was lot of play and noise in the gear train, sounded really nasty. lets hope the new to me works as good as it sounds. no play in any thing and it spins smooth and silky.

i dont recomend this to any one who does not have help and a decent place to work. it is a major piece of work to accomplish. there is alot o f satisfaction in doing something like this yourself, but it is a lot of work.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:DONE AND WE'RE DRIVING:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

thanks Dave, my blood pressure was up to. kept having the thought in the back of my mind, what if i bought apiece of crap tranny. right now every thing works as it should, now strange noises, stays in gear, and shifts good. keeping my fingers crossed for now.

we manged to get the old tranny off and the new tranny on this weekend. there was alot of work we still needed to do to make this happen. i snapped one of the crossmember bolts so that will have to wiat until tomorrow along with the tansfercase and driveline. thankd god the heavy lifting is over. I got a brother and a son who are pretty happy about that one also. tomorrow the wife is my helper. we sill see how that goes. it does have some promise.

when the old tranny was out i spun the input shaft and there was lot of play and noise in the gear train, sounded really nasty. lets hope the new to me works as good as it sounds. no play in any thing and it spins smooth and silky.

i dont recomend this to any one who does not have help and a decent place to work. it is a major piece of work to accomplish. there is alot o f satisfaction in doing something like this yourself, but it is a lot of work.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:DONE AND WE'RE DRIVING:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Sweat and busted knuckles really gets you to appriciate your truck,when I first got mine I pushed her hard when pulling,now I baby her even though I have more transmission that I'll ever need:smart: