• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing & 2 cyc oil

I changed my fuel filter to Baldwin and started using 2 cyc oil on my return trip to SC from Santa Fe, TX via Oskaloosa, IA on 30 Jul.I averaged 11.5 MPH towing (9000 lbs) 2315 miles under various road conditions. Mostly rolling hills and some higher elevations in KY, TN, NC & SC. I didn't baby the truck, i.e., 63 to 65 and on a few legs up to 70MPH. One thing I did differently was in hilly areas whenmy speed dropped to around 60 MPH I kicked out of OD and dropped my speed to 52 MPH to maintain 2000 RPM. I think that helped my MPGs a bit. I am very happy with my trucks performance. I use the stubby pencil method to figure my gas mileage (up to the neck) and use a factor of 1.04 to compensate for my larger tire size.I have a 1000 mile R/T to Fla coming up in late Oct and it is mostly all flat roads. Am anxious to see if I can do better than my 11.5 MPGs on that trip. I have a S&B Cool Air Intake and am now leaning toward a BHAF.What is the bottom line on a heat shield for the BHAF? Yes/No??? Mohok

I had a oil type so called cold air intake and I can tell you first hand mine was (junk). I had oil and dirt stuck to the fins on the turbo. Had to pull precooler and flush, went with a BHAF and been really happy with it. It had holes in the filter you could drive a truck through.I have a heat sheild on mine but from all the test folks here have done here it really dont matter. I am sure someone here will come on board and fill you in with more info than I have.

• Staff

I tow about the same weight,and my trips take me from sea level to over 8,000 ft. I get 10.5 mpg going up and 13 mpg coming back, 400 mi each way.I thought about a oiled filter but the cleaning and oiling made me think about a bhaf. I found a 9" cone filter from AME that was a dry type and was washable. I've used it for about 20,000 miles and have washed it in a bucket of soap and water,came out fine. I did build my own heat shield for it. I don't know if it does any good but thought it was a good idea.

• Owner

Well I got back from a 300 mile trip over to Lowman, ID I was towing my Jayco (7,760#) I was on a narrow 2 lane road most of the way with speed limits averaging 55 MPH. I pulled 14.13 MPG using the pencil method.Weather: Hot, 95-100*F, 12-16% RHTruck: IAT Sensor Locked (143*F), Edge Comp (5x5), BHAF (w/ heat shield), 2 Cycle Oil (128:1), Stock Injectors

i had used a k&n for along time. swapped over to a BHAF about 10k mile ago. no heat sheild. i still get 10 mph towing and i run the speed limit as long as the interstate is open and not crowded. i have not noticed any differance in egt's either. so i think mine will stay without a heat sheild.

Well I got back from a 300 mile trip over to Lowman, ID I was towing my Jayco (7,760#) I was on a narrow 2 lane road most of the way with speed limits averaging 55 MPH. I pulled 14.13 MPG using the pencil method. Weather: Hot, 95-100*F, 12-16% RH Truck: IAT Sensor Locked (143*F), Edge Comp (5x5), BHAF (w/ heat shield), 2 Cycle Oil (128:1), Stock Injectors

Thanks for the info. Mike, a couple of questions: At 55 mph what was your RPM? Auto 4 speed or Std 6 speed tranny? My 4 speed auto with OD locked out is 2000 RPM @ 52 MPH. With my OD locked out, I just can't tow 400 miles @ 2000 RPM @ 52 MPH. I do understand that the Cummins 5.9 curve for max performance and MPG is around 2000 RPM. I did notice on my return trip that when I kicked out of OD and dropped my speed to 52 MPH and kicked the RPMs to 2000 my EGT dropped from around 11 to 7 to 8 although my engine sounded like it was racing. I understand that the lower the EGT the better the MPG. I will say again that I have learned a lot from this site and thank you for your efforts. Mohok

• Owner

At 55 mph what was your RPM?

About 1,600 RPM's

Auto 4 speed or Std 6 speed tranny?

5 Speed NV4500

My 4 speed auto with OD locked out is 2000 RPM @ 52 MPH.

Same here... My 4th gear is exactly the same as your OD locked out.

I do understand that the Cummins 5.9 curve for max performance and MPG is around 2000 RPM.

Actually the peak of the torque curve is there but economy comes at lower RPM's according to Cummins.

I understand that the lower the EGT the better the MPG.

Correct... So yes you want to travel at a safe speed for the trailer which most trailer tire are only rated up to 65 MPH. so 55-60 MPH is a safe zone for hauling. But your still high enough in the RPM's to create plenty of torque. So like when I start pulling a grade I'll drop a gear and bounce the tach up to 2K and hold it and watch the EGT's if it manageable I hold it if it still rising then drop another gear and kick up to 2K and hold again. So far I've never had to pull any lower than 3rd.
  • Like 1

I notice while towing in overdrive the engine sounds better than revving in 3rd. but in overdrive the egt's are pretty high if on a grade, and i do notice that in 3rd the egt's drop considerably when rpm's are up.And no the heat shield is not required, there is plenty of air passing by the turbo, and mopar said in another forum, that iat temps will not be any better with heat shield than running without. I agree with the 55-60 while towing, unsafe at speeds some people mention, trailer tires or bearings are not rated for racing, the are under a great load, and heat builds very fast, i have seen them blow on people as i pass them by haha, watching them pick up parts of their nice camper fenders is the best part, the tire will rip your nice trailer or camper to bits.

• Like 1