• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost Elbow or J-Hook?

I recently picked up a Juice with Attitude 2nd hand. It came with everyting except the boost elbow. Not too sure what the elbow is supposed to do. I understand it is an orifice, but in a closed system that will only slow down flow, not limit pressure. I was figuring the concept was to keep the waste gate closed, allowing the boost pressure to rise. I was wondering if I could substitute a J-hook (local fab) for a boost elbow, or should I get a new part from Edge? If a J-Hook is adequate, why not remove the OEM elbow and plug the port in the compressor housing and the hose running to the actuator?Appreciate your time,Joe in St Louis

The boost elbow is a sorta blow off valve. Instead of 30psi going through it, it will blow a little off so only say 20psi gets through it. I am not sure but I think if the engine sees over 20psi it will set a code so that is the reason for doing that. It is a tiny hole so you wouldn't notice any loss in pressure. The Jhook physically keeps the wastegate shut. John [originally from St Louis :lol:] had that setup and it was pretty nice because the juice can be set to have boost limits, so even though you have the wastegate shut, it can defuel when it sees 35psi (anything after that is a waste of time because the turbo is working overtime on itself and too small so it just builds friction (heat)). You also run the risk of blowing headgaskets (and the turbo) if you get up there in pressure (45-50psi+). So as long as you can make it defuel before any of that happens, I don't see any disadvantages.

ISX, Thanks for your reply (JLWelding too). I have a few more questions regarding your response.

The boost elbow is a sorta blow off valve. Instead of 30psi going through it, it will blow a little off so only say 20psi gets through it.

OK, So the boost elbow vents to atmospheric, thereby reducing the pressure available at the waste gate actuator and tricking the actuator into thinking that the boost pressure is less than it really is. Is that the way it works?

I am not sure but I think if the engine sees over 20psi it will set a code so that is the reason for doing that.

I think that the elbow would allow the turbo to generate more boost pressure but the MAP is monitoring the boost pressure, so if you don't have some sort of boost fooler in series with the MAP the ECU will defuel & set a code no matter how well you have tricked the waste gate actuator. At least that is the way I understand it

The Jhook physically keeps the wastegate shut. John [originally from St Louis :lol:] had that setup and it was pretty nice because the juice can be set to have boost limits, so even though you have the wastegate shut, it can defuel when it sees 35psi

Yes, the Juice with Attitude has features which allow you to set a boost limit and multiple alarms. From a discussion I read on the forum last winter it sounded like installation of a J-hook was a bit difficult due to poor access. Seems to me the waste gate could be disabled easier by disconnecting & plugging the elbow port on the compressor & plugging the waste gate actuator hose. See any problem with that approach? Anyone else, please feel free to pipe up. Appreciate your patience! Joe in St Louis

Boost elbow for hx35 ... Jhook for hy35 ... Due to way actuator works .... Both control the psi at which wastegate opens .... Tighter jhook or elbow allows more psi before wategate opens .... Boost fooler generally required on over 20 psi to prevent cel but that comes with most high end programers ....

Ah there is John. He has an HY and your 99' has the HX if I am thinking right, early auto's didn't get the HY. So you would do the elbow and yes it works just as you described. I don't know about how the codes get set or anything.

I read on the forum last winter it sounded like installation of a J-hook was a bit difficult due to poor access. Seems to me the waste gate could be disabled easier by disconnecting & plugging the elbow port on the compressor & plugging the waste gate actuator hose. See any problem with that approach? Joe in St Louis

Hey joe :) Like ISX said - you probably have the HX35 on the 99. So no jhook eitherway - just the boost elbow or alternatively clamp off the wastegate and use your edge/quad to defuel on high boost. Only problem is if it doesn't defuel in time -> you can hit high boost and do headgasket and/or turbo damage. These turbos only good to around ~35 psi. :thumb1:

• Staff

I run the boost elbow with my edge. I hit 28psi wide open then falls of to 25psi as the gate opens. The elbow is just a fitting with a small hole on the hose side. Due to the lack of air flow with the small hole it takes a little longer for the higher pressure to build up in the actuator housing an push the diaphragm to open the wast gate.

Called up Edge & ordered the boost Elbow. They say it just has an orifice so I guess it slows down the response of the waste gate - seems to me you would want to raise the pressure at which the waste gate opens instead of just delaying it. May find that its just right. Figure it is a good place to start.Thanks for the help!Joe in St Louis

I've got the baby hy35 on mine. With the HRVP and edge comp set on 5x5. Not sure how much boost it will build without the j-hook but I haven't got a cel because of it. I used a friends smarty to check for codes and have overboost codes in it but never had a light.

second gen trucks are notorious for not having a CEL come on, they will nly CEl when a hard code is set or when you have a number of codes present i think like 8 or 10.

second gen trucks are notorious for not having a CEL come on, they will nly CEl when a hard code is set or when you have a number of codes present i think like 8 or 10.

I'm sure by now it has went above that but haven't checked. I am trying to decide which would be the best turbo to replace mine with. The only other power mod I plan on is a set of rv 275 injectors. So those with the HRVP and edge comp will all have to play nice together. :lmao:

I'm sure by now it has went above that but haven't checked. I am trying to decide which would be the best turbo to replace mine with. The only other power mod I plan on is a set of rv 275 injectors. So those with the HRVP and edge comp will all have to play nice together. :lmao:

IMO either a HX-35, or a 35/40. i would think the HX-35 with a boost elbow would be more then suffice, they will push alot of air, the next step up is a 40 Compressor wheel on a 35 turbine,. EDIT: As for CEL's right, my Vp-44 died, truck ran like crap and no CEL:lol:, Oh wait but it went off a few years later when i accidentally knocked my shifter from 2wd to 4lo.:lmao: and hit my high idle switches at the same time.

IMO either a HX-35, or a 35/40. i would think the HX-35 with a boost elbow would be more then suffice, they will push alot of air, the next step up is a 40 Compressor wheel on a 35 turbine,. EDIT: As for CEL's right, my Vp-44 died, truck ran like crap and no CEL:lol:, Oh wait but it went off a few years later when i accidentally knocked my shifter from 2wd to 4lo.:lmao: and hit my high idle switches at the same time.

I was looking at a BD super b turbo. Just can't seem to find anyone that has had one to get any info. Going to be a while before I get any of them because I refuse to buy a 2 or 300 chinese turbo from ebay for my truck. Since you mentioned it, I've dealt with 3 trucks that had dead vp44s, and none of them had a CEL. Thats is a very good way to slow down in a hurry, unless you were parked when that mishap occured,:lmao::lmao:

I was looking at a BD super b turbo. Just can't seem to find anyone that has had one to get any info. Going to be a while before I get any of them because I refuse to buy a 2 or 300 chinese turbo from ebay for my truck. Since you mentioned it, I've dealt with 3 trucks that had dead vp44s, and none of them had a CEL. Thats is a very good way to slow down in a hurry, unless you were parked when that mishap occured,:lmao::lmao:

im not saying go Chinese, but i know you can find genuine HX35's and HX40's everywhere in junk yards on old Cummins engines. Now as for the Chinese stuff i think Jacob had one or two kind he was selling im not if prowelder had one, but i would go with something that works good. My opinion is to not go over the edge your HY has to small of a turbine, only 9cm and the HX has a 12, the HX-40 is 14cm, and is to big for what your looking for. I would scavenge the CF for one, heck a rebuild kit is only 80 bucks for one. Im running a smarty with 60HP injectors and my HX holds fine with it, now i would think an HX would do you good. i think a super B might be to much for you, but you can call Jacob and ask.

My opinion is to not go over the edge your HY has to small of a turbine, only 9cm and the HX has a 12, the HX-40 is 14cm, and is to big for what your looking for.

Never had a super b - had a hy35, hx35 and SHX40. About to put a he351cw on in next couple weeks. Great thing about a super b is its a 57/65/14 - but its upgradeable and can be used in twins. I think a super B would be an awesome option - but its a little costly new, and then you have to pay to upgrade. There are so many options - and everyone has preferences based on experience. I REALLY like by HX40 .... but it is a little laggy until it hits over 6psi ....... don't notice it too much except a little black smoke and sure its hitting my MPG around ton - so gonna go with the the he351cw. So apart from the hx35 which I think is best bang for buck to handle under 350hp HP your probably looking at these as upgrades (no DP) (new) $750 for hx35/40 $1100 for super-b $1300 for a 62/x/x - HTT/DTECH/II or (used) $600 he351cw (with parts required) $800 super-b $900-$1100 62/x/x - HTT/DTECH/II I would go this order for the cost/HP hx35 ~ 350 HP he351cw ~ 450 HP phatshaft/special b 62 (or equiv) ~ 550 HP :2cents: pepsi I think ran a hx35/40 hybrid and loved it - so that sounds good to me - I just never have and couldn't justify the cost over a he351cw