• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is a hx40 big enough for 80 to 100 hp injectors????

• Owner

what do you plan to do with it?

Good question... Because if you think about it I'm running my Edge Comp on 5x5 (120 HP) and running RV275 Injectors (40 HP) and all I got is 3" straight pipe exhaust, BHAF, and HX35 (stock) turbo. :whistle: I will admit 100 HP injectors will flow a lot of fuel so it all based on what you plan on doing...
  • Like 1

My truck came with and HX35 while most automatics seem tohave the HY35. Mine also had the 12mm exhaust housing.

I started to have the oil seal weeping on the compressor side so when I pulledthe unit out to have it rebuilt I opted for the HX35/40 hybrid with a 14mmexhaust housing. I also run the Quadzilla ZXT + chip which has 2 settings for35hp and 70hp.

I had two thoughts in pursuing this solution: first I wanted to see if I couldimprove my mpg by decreasing the exhaust back pressure some by going to alarger exhaust housing, and second I wanted to get some more pulling power forpassing. I just never felt I had much increased poop when I mashed the throttleat 65 or 70 to pass someone.

Now I fully expected with a larger exhaust housing I could see a little lowspeed lag but I wasn't too concerned because I don't generally try to do manyjack rabbit starts.

Well sure enough when I got the new turbo installed with the 4" (turboback ) exhaust I did acquire a small lag when I mashed the throttle from a deadstop, but I got a nice increase in the pulling power on the top end. So I wasok with the new turbo. At this time Iwas running the stock injectors.

Sometime later I then installed a set of RV275 injectors and then I saw a wholenew ball game. When I mash the throttle at a stop sign my wheels will lay asmall patch of about 10 feet (I have posi trac) from both rear wheels. Now mytruck has an auto and I have never seen that happen from a full stop and justmashing the throttle to the floor. Sonow the low speed lag is gone and this thing really pulls nice when I need topass someone from 65 or 70 mph.

Now I haven't been able to verify that I actually got an mpg improvement byopening up the exhaust housing to lower the back pressure but with theincreased hp from added fueling and increased air from the larger compressorwheel, I haven't seen any loss of mpg when I drive sensibly.

Would I do it again? You bet.

• Like 1

War Eagle - where did you have your's rebuit and how much. Feel free to pm if it's not ok to post here. I would like a little more out of my truck come this spring and your set up sounds about perfect for me (though I'll keep running my edge attitude rather than buying a new tuner).Sorry for the Hi-jack. It sounds like the 40 with those injectors should work well unless you are not a fan of the potential lag from a stop. Good luck and let us know how it works out if you do it.Thanks

• Like 1

a HX-35 would be fine for 100hp injector. Unless you are towing heavy and adding a programmer.Then i would move up to a HX40/35 which will give you more pressure and boost with the same spool up. But a HX-35 turbo is good till 350-400HP depending on how it is achieved.:smart:

• Like 1

The reason i want the the 100 horse injectors is to tow my boat it is a 28 foot by 12 foot wide. when i was towing up a hill i was only going 28 mph and it was lame. So mainly to tow. So the hx40/35 highbread would be a faster spoolering but still get the same boost?

I would go with 125-150's, even with the hx-35 and 7x.010's mine hauls ars and I have never seen over 1300 with my settup.

yes, but he is also at altitufe so he needs to be more aware of his fuel to air ratio.

The reason i want the the 100 horse injectors is to tow my boat it is a 28 foot by 12 foot wide. when i was towing up a hill i was only going 28 mph and it was lame. So mainly to tow. So the hx40/35 hybrid would be a faster spooling but still get the same boost?

correct, it is a HX40 compressor with a HX-35 exhaust housing. Currently your HY has a 9cm the HX 35 has a 12 and the HX-40 is a 14cm. the problem is you will smoke bad if you went to an HX-40 until the turbo lit, and then it would smoke. The HX will give you better spool and the air flow you need. 100's would be more then enough. with those 33's i would think a smarty would do you more good when combined with some lower hp injectors like 75's. but if you swap to a 40/35 you will get better airflow and could run 100's, but be warily of pyro's. if you add a programmer on there.

yes, but he is also at altitufe so he needs to be more aware of his fuel to air ratio. correct, it is a HX40 compressor with a HX-35 exhaust housing. Currently your HY has a 9cm the HX 35 has a 12 and the HX-40 is a 14cm. the problem is you will smoke bad if you went to an HX-40 until the turbo lit, and then it would smoke. The HX will give you better spool and the air flow you need. 100's would be more then enough. with those 33's i would think a smarty would do you more good when combined with some lower hp injectors like 75's. but if you swap to a 40/35 you will get better airflow and could run 100's, but be warily of pyro's. if you add a programmer on there.

I didnt think about that as I have never lived at much elevation, dam this gulf coast.:banghead:

I didnt think about that as I have never lived at much elevation, dam this gulf coast.:banghead:

as you go up in elevation you need to run more boost to get the same HP out of the engine. this is why Supercharged engines were perfered over turbo powered engines durning WW2. engine like the Allison 1710 were monsters down low but once you got up there was such a loss that they suffered in the arena about 25,000 feet. This is where supercharged two statge engines like the Merlin 61 came in. See if he is at say 7,029 feet he would build 3 less psi then he would at ground level. regardless of the fuel he could produce. So if his engine can produce at sea level a maximum of 30psi, up at 7,029 feet he would be at 27 psi. which could mean he has more fuel then he can burn, thus EGT's go way up. But if he was to run compound turbos he could build that 3 psi loss back and then more. the other option is to run a turbo large enough to compress the air, even though he would still be at a loss of 3psi, in theory if he ran a larger turbo for example an HX40, he could build 33psi and (then the waste gate opens up), but then at altitude he then is only building 30 due to the loss of pressure. this is why VGT turbos are much better, they can help recoup the parasitic loss up at altitude, by closing the exhaust down even more to try and build more boost pressure. now there will be arguments about how visible this effect is, but my guess is that if he is hauling a good load it will become very visible at altitude, as he will have more fuel then he can handle.

A question I would ask, is the fass DDRP up to the task of 100hp infectors? Are you monitoring your fuel pressue at all. I dont know what the DDRP is capable of feeding fuel flow wise.

This is a good question, a DDRP is a good pump when you put the right pre filter in front of it. many people make the mistake of not adding a good filter in front of it to trap the crap and then they want to know why it dies on them. As a result i don't see why say DDRP won't hold up to maybe 75HP injectors but with 100's and a programmer that i wouldn't give unless i saw the fuel pressure. My FASS 95 with 60HP injectors and a smarty can drap my FP from 17 to 14 at WOT.
  • Like 1

So the DDRP is bad for 100s? What is this prefilter? So i need one???

its not that the ddrp will not handle them, its just not a rated pump. the ddrp flows a bit more then the OEM one, i think about 40gph, rather the FASS 95 is 95gph. i know of people who run the ddrp running mods but the reliability issue of the fass ddrp is questionable. But i don't think the DDRP is the blame. I think its because there is no filter set up for the DDRP like there is for the FASS.

I would think if you still have stock lines and the stock pump location that it would struggle to keep up the pressure. Do you know where your fuel pressure stands now?

this i am inclined to agree with. Replace with at least 3/8's line if not 1/2 inch. 1/2 inch is over kill but it seems to be the standard now a days.

I use an inline filter specific to diesel before my fass, let me see if I can get a number off of it. Wix # 33270 http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/33270.html

this looks good but why not just get a real set up like a GDP kit with a Baldwin 1212 on it?