• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4th ECM...PLEASE HELP

I am about to put in my 4th computer, the first was used and installed a few years ago, the 2nd was new from cummins, Aug 08. 3rd new from cummins Feb 09, and now it's time to install another. Cummins won't warrantee them because they don't show any codes??? I am running a hypertech reprogrammer, usually set to stage 3. When it runs it runs great but i cannot find anyone who can tell me why it keeps trashing the computer. Has anyone else had this problem or am i the only one?

What you describe sounds like that old "Definition of Insanity"........doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome!!!!! I sure know that if I was looking for my 4 ECM, and was running a hypertech on all the previous ones that failed, I sure wouldn't download a hypertech program until I found the reason!!!!!! Honestly though, I've no clue why your truck would eat ECM's..........IMHO, ditch the hypertech and run stock for a while........if the ECM stays sound, you'll know the cause then!!!! :smart

• Owner

Got your phone message... ;) Dorkweed has a point the programmer could be a cause of this problem. ECM info and wiring diagrams http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/ecm/ecm.htm Voltage drop test http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/voltage-drop/voltage-drop.htm I would check over all wiring. Like I know the system ground for the ECM and sensor is right behind the starter and cannot be seen without removing the starter. I would check over the charging system to be sure it charging properly. This means having the alternator diode checked (Don't skip this!) What ever is going on is a electrical issue. So make sure the battey cables and main feed line, fuses, etc are all in good shape. Like I've found main fues for the PDC that have CRACKED but not blown so when the load would increase the fuse would break OPEN and the item would fail till the fuse cooled again. Bad or weak battery cables could make the alternator work excessively and might casue voltage spikes or unusual voltage levels. This also includes bad grounds. The only thing I can think off is having a Dealer DRB III tool scan the system for faults this goes a bit deeper than just a typical code reader... Check CCD network bus (voltage and terminatation), VP44 (commuication), etc...

• 2 years later...

I've had a similar problem. An ECM and many edge juice modules. I finally got it out of edge exactly what was burning out, the noise filter on the juice. They said that this is an occasional problem with these trucks, and in the past they have put more robust noise filters on their modules to combat the issue. I have acquired a flukemeter (cheapie meters won't read fast enough) and I have found that I have a weird voltage spike in my power system somewhere... I have replaced the alternator, and replaced or checked just about everything power supply related aside from the PCM. I have also had it into Dodge to be checked out and they can't find anything out of the ordinary. I haven't been able to find the time to check it with the alternator disconnected, but I am wondering if I have a solenoid (relay) with a bad diode could be backfeeding some noise into the system somewhere. I have been looking (as ISX has been) for a good solid state heavy duty voltage regulator to avoid replacing the expensive PCM, but I haven't found one yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a similar problem. An ECM and many edge juice modules. I finally got it out of edge exactly what was burning out, the noise filter on the juice. They said that this is an occasional problem with these trucks, and in the past they have put more robust noise filters on their modules to combat the issue. I have acquired a flukemeter (cheapie meters won't read fast enough) and I have found that I have a weird voltage spike in my power system somewhere... I have replaced the alternator, and replaced or checked just about everything power supply related aside from the PCM. I have also had it into Dodge to be checked out and they can't find anything out of the ordinary. I haven't been able to find the time to check it with the alternator disconnected, but I am wondering if I have a solenoid (relay) with a bad diode could be backfeeding some noise into the system somewhere. I have been looking (as ISX has been) for a good solid state heavy duty voltage regulator to avoid replacing the expensive PCM, but I haven't found one yet.

Ha guys I dont run the PCM and this is what I use. It is a BOSCH made in australia Electronic Regulator part # RE55. The reg workes fine with the Dodge Alternator. Hope this helps.:thumbup2:

Ha guys I dont run the PCM and this is what I use. It is a BOSCH made in australia Electronic Regulator part # RE55. The reg workes fine with the Dodge Alternator. Hope this helps.:thumbup2:

What does it charge at using a multimeter? The only reason I hate the aftermarket (non PCM) regulator is that it has no voltage control based on load. As in, it is over 14V all the time, that kills batteries. You won't notice it but you will wonder why your batteries are slowly deteriorating. My PCM did a good job of staying around 13.5V and my batteries were always fine, after putting in the aftermarket one and having it stay more like 14.5V all the time, they are slowly dieing. The voltage should only peak after you start it, when the batteries have lost their charge due to starting, they will draw amps to recharge. As they top back off, voltage should drop down to 13.5 or so. It should be floating the batteries while running all the truck's accessories, which doesn't require 14.5 volts. I did find some "smart" marine ones but I could buy all new batteries with how much they cost, but that is ideal.

being that hypertech is a cheap programmer it has a cheap software on it. ive heard of several people complaining of them burning up coumputers. i personaly do not mess with programmers because if one thing goes wrong while you are messing with it while its downloading then your cumputer is toast

being that hypertech is a cheap programmer it has a cheap software on it. ive heard of several people complaining of them burning up coumputers. i personaly do not mess with programmers because if one thing goes wrong while you are messing with it while its downloading then your cumputer is toast

I ran a Hypertech for 5 yrs,switched between stages several times before buying a used Edge EZ cheap on Ebay. Never had a problem and really don't see a difference in performance between the two(even ran both together)still keep it to pull codes,but hav'nt needed to do that in awhile. Really doubt that the Hypertech is his problem.:2cents: