• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what interval do you change oil/oil filter at?

what interval do you change oil and oil filter pick one of each (multiple choice)  

85 members have voted

1. 1. what interval do you change oil and oil filter pick one of each (multiple choice)

• ~3000 miles oil change
    • 3000-5000 miles oil change
    • 5000-7000 miles oil change
    • 7000-10,000 miles oil change
    • over 10,000 miles
    • ~3000 miles filter change
    • 3000-5000 miles filter change
    • 5000-7000 miles filter change
    • 7000-10,000 miles filter change
    • over 10,000 miles filter change

• Owner

It just seems to me that 7 or 10 thousand miles is way to long. For all the more it costs me I will change it sooner. Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

For $160 an oil change I think I let the oil run its course!

Its not a 4-5 quart gasoline engine where the fuel adds acids and other by products to the oil that cause damage. You got to remember its a diesel with 3 gallons (11-12 quarts) of oil. It takes a long time to use that amount of oil up... There is a old post here where Dorkweed ran his truck for 87K miles on a single oil change on Supertech 15w-40 and did oil test every 7K miles... It wasn't till 87K the silicon level started to rise and the oil was changed. Then there is CajFlynn here that changes ~20K miles for a oil change when he clears 1,000 miles a day and that means he would be doing weekly oil changes. His truck is run on fleetguard filters and Delo 15w-40 and cleared the million mile mark no problem. So this 3-5K oil changes are a waste of oil and money... :spend:
  • Like 1

I agree with you mike.There is a pot of waste out there. But there is one minor factor missing. The person. I have been in the 'HABIT' and 'BELIEF' you change oil at a max of 5k in the other vehicles I've own. I don't run my Dodge with heavy loads all the times and per the manufacture schedule, I'm to do the 15k between changes. I, personally have a hard time going the 10k I do, but have done oil analysis to give me that 'friendly fuzzy feeling' it's ok. In time the person should 'feel' comfortable when they 'feel. the change is actually ok. Until that time, those who do it every 3 to 5k is COMFORTABLE ... to them. Even if there is waste in oil, money or time.

• Owner

Also remember where we came from in oil design... Back in the 70's engine oils where really basic and didn't have much of a additive package.

http://www.upmpg.com/motor_oil_rate_gas.htm

As the additive packages improved over the years and design of engine oils the change internvals have been extended more and more over the years. I know old habits die hard but I use the factory specs as a safe point. So like 24V's are safe to run 7,500 miles by design.

Even the 96 is 6K to a oil change...

Posted Image

Then my 83 Goldwing 1100I is even 6K to a oil change...

The only vehicle I got that is a super early change in my 08 Honda Rancher at 600 miles... :wtf:

I have a question If you have an oil bypass which oil do you run? Is it worth running expensive oil like amsoil 5w 40 or even syn 15w 40 or just plain ole 15w 40. See I have the frantz bypass which I am going to put on at next oil change but I dont know if I should continue to use syn 5w40. I was going to buy amsoil 5w 40 synthetic a grade 4 oil or run amsoil's syn 15w 40 OE which I guess is a Grade three oil. The 5w 40 is 7 and change a quart and the OE 15w 40 synthetic is 5 and change a quart.

• Owner

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum and run a Group IV in everything I own! In addition to the longer life (which I don't really take advantage of with my current use) I feel there are other benefits.

:thumbup2: I guess we'll always agree to disagree... But that's what is so wonderful of this little family... No need to...:spank::cool:

So I figured out what the TBN number is Total Base Number and the higher the TBN, the more effective it is in suspending wear-causing contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids over an extended period of time. So with that said is the TBN a big determining factor in buying motor oil or are there other factors to include when buying oil? The marine oil offered by Amsoil has the highest TBN number over the other choices on their website under the diesel oil tab. So does this make it one of the better oil's to buy? Putting the price aside some would say "the more expensive it is the better it is" does this always apply? So I had a few questions any guidance would be awesome not to high jack the thread :thumbup2: The reason I ask is I would like to put good oil in and take care of my motor as do many of you but I dont want to be wasting my money on oil that does the same job if not better than a higher cost oil.

• Staff

The higher the TBN the longer the oil can last. It does not mean it's long lasting oil, contamination can kill an oil before the TBN runs out (fuel, soot, wear metals, etc).

New CJ oil's are lower in TBN because the vehicles are hard on oil thru regenerations.

So in an older diesel, with good filtration, TBN is much more important if you want to run extended intervals. If you just want to run standard or short intervals TBN is of little importance.

The higher the TBN the longer the oil can last. It does not mean it's long lasting oil, contamination can kill an oil before the TBN runs out (fuel, soot, wear metals, etc).

New CJ oil's are lower in TBN because the vehicles are hard on oil thru regenerations.

So in an older diesel, with good filtration, TBN is much more important if you want to run extended intervals. If you just want to run standard or short intervals TBN is of little importance.

Cool Thanks for the response :thumbup2: So how do find out what grade is the oil? Grade 3 or 4? So i think I am going to run the 15w 40 marine diesel oil with my bypass should be a good setup I also just purchased a Donaldson ELF the 15 micron filter so over all I am on the right path right? Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

I try to get it changed right at 5k but sometimes I do go over. Like stated above its just habit.....:cookoo:Surprised to see so many folks waiting to change until over 7k though.. I guess that is due to oil bypass kits? Maybe synthetics?...... :shrug: