• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELP! Airdog 165 Blows fuses!

Guys, NEED HELP ASAP!I do not have a low pressure warning light, but I have gotten in the habit of turning the key to the ON position and listening to the pump prime before I turn the truck over. I cannot recall if the problem started last night, or longer or if it really was this evening.So me and the wife went to the grocery store for a few things, which is about a mile or so away from the house. Truck started and ran just fine. Although I was stupid and did not remember to listen to the pump. We get done shopping and I put the key in to let the grid heaters preheat. I was putting my coat on outside of the truck as I was waiting. I noted that the airdog did not prime.I tried cycling the key to see if it was just me. The lights came on, but the fuel pressure gauge showed 0 psi. So I started checking fuses, the dash fuses were not blown. I popped the hood, and the the main fuse block was good. I checked the airdog pump fuse, itself, and it was blown. I just so happened to not have any 20 amp fuses out of all the fuses I have in my truck! Luckily, I spend about $4 for an assorted fuse kit back in the grocery store. It has 1 20 amp fuse. I plug the fuse in and turn the key to listen for the pump.Pump starts priming, but it sounds like its loaded and it would not prime more than 10 psi. I turn the key off and try again, it primes, but still sounds loaded. So I crank it over to see if the pump would see a better voltage after the grid heaters kick off. I wait, and just as the battery starts charging, the pressure needle drops. I shut the truck off. Check the fuse, BLOWN! :banghead:I checked all the wiring. Everything checks out. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on?! It does not seem like it could be a short, as a short should immediately blow a fuse. I was reading just a smidge before I posted this and someone says the pumps can be the culprit?I also noticed last night that my trailer brake controller light does not come on when I push on the brake. i checked those fuses, they were fine. :shrug:Damnit, I need my truck! I was supposed to go into the station tomorrow and put in my duty time!

• Owner

Since the pump is under warranty I would contact AirDog first thing... But as for the pump blowing the fuse that tells me there is something wrong with the pump itsself that is binding up and causing extra load on the pump motor which in turn is blowing the fuse. Don't increase the fuse size either this is not a fix. There is something phyiscally wrong. But since there is a warranty call AirDog first and get the tech on the horn first thing. I'd hate to see you lose your warranty from fiddling with your pump. :wink:

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick input guys. I did not for one second think of putting a larger fuse in. I don't care if it is a mile to my house. It takes but a second to cause a fire.

Yea, my pump is on warranty. I got permission to leave it in the lot until tomorrow. If it is not a quick fix, when I talk to airdog, I got free towing through my auto insurance.

I will not be happy if it is the pump. They better overnight me one! :nono:

--- Update to the previous post...

So it sounds like the fuse problem is going to very well be from the pump. I have yet to read of anyones problem with the fuse blowing being related to anything else BUT the pump.

What gets me is that I have had this pump since September. That is almost 6 months with this! My confidence in their product is quickly losing my respect solely on this.

Hopefully it is just a simple fix, like a clog in the gyrator assembly.

if the bushings or bearings (not sure which the AD165 uses) go bad or sieze it will cause a amp increase thus blowing the fuse. Or like other suggested it is having issues either pulling fuel from the tank or pushing fuel to the filter assembly.You could get a bucket, disconnect the output hose at the filter and bump the key to get it turning, if it sounds like no load then the filter assembly has a clog. If you cant find the clog move up the line to the vp input and repeat.Or remove the suction side to the AD and see if it runs with no issue. Could have something stuck in the straw in the tank.Best of luck man!

Well, for the moment, I will sit on it. I called Airdog today and Kyle did not even question me. He just confirmed my info and he is having a pump UPS grounded to me. Supposed to be here Friday. So when I switch out the pump and if it still has problems, I will start troubleshooting.Kyle mentioned that the seal on inside might have gone out and liquid could be shorting the pump out...:shrug: So, can someone tell me how you disconnect the lines from the fittings?

Okay, so I got the Airdog motor in the mail yesterday. I replaced the motor on the pump and it took maybe 30 minutes. The biggest part was the fact I lost probably 1/2 a gallon of diesel because of the fix. I only had a dirty bucket to dump it in, so I could not filter it off. :banghead:Makes for good fuel to get a good campfire going!A couple things I noticed though. The pump sounds much quieter than the older one. I also had to adjust the regulator to increase the fuel pressure. So I wonder if this is a bad thing or a good thing...After driving it a bit, I did a final pressure adjustment of 25psi at idle, and I believe it goes down to about 17-18psi at WOT. Is the idle pressure too high? I think it made the truck respond much better and quicker, it seems.When I talked to Kyle at Airdog, he said he was going to have a return shipping label for the bad pump. I did not have one in the box. :shrug:So I took the pump apart. It had some liquid in it that kind of smelled like ATF fluid and alot of copper residue in it.The bearings felt fine. It spins fine without the brushed end on, but when I put it back on and spin the shaft, it has a weird feeling like when bearings are bad. Eh, I was thinking about putting 12v to it to see how it runs...