• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I will advise this, that my truck was having random TC lock up issues before the alternator blew up. And at the time growing up on the shore I noticed the fog, and rain made it worse. headlights on, made it worse.

Now I did replace the rectifier and it did it still but not as bad. Ended up testing the ground cables with a vDrop test, and discovered the passenger cable was good, but the drivers cable was borderline failing. Replaced both cables and the issue went away.

I also replaced the reman alternator with a New Denso alternator from the local dodge Dealership.

All, 

First I want to thank Mopar1973MAN and everyone who has posted here, very helpful. I have recently purchased a 2001 CTD Extended Cab, 2500, Auto with 203K miles. Trans was rebuilt previous to me, not sure what they did or what parts were used. I have a Smarty for it, FASS liftpump, Aftermarket Injector Pump, Oversized Injectors (100HP I think). I have the TC lock/unlock shutter bad. Now it is vibrating even when I let off the pedal and everything I have tried is not working. Here is what I have done so far:

Checked all grounds, cleaned and reattached. Removed PCM plugs, cleaned and replugged, Voltmeter and Bench test of Alternator. I need a better meter for this as mine showed it was slowly increasing with RPM's and made it up to .4, thinking meter was bad. The bench test is hard as Advanced Auto is the only one with a tester and their tester just shows that it is under .5 and that they consider that good. I took the Alternator to a reputable rebuild and test shop and they acted like they didnt believe it was an issue and said they tested it and that it was "FINE". 

I want to rebuild the alternator myself ( have no issue with this, I rebuild everything of my own and my background is electronics, but way back no recent work in this field). Are there recommendations on a good parts supplier for this? And what all should be replaced? 

I found this online so far: https://www.aspwholesale.com/alternators/denso/er/if/alternator-p10709.html

Also I want to test my cables, voltage drop and continuity, what is the best or proper procedure for this? 

Looking for any help, I love the truck but will not be able to keep it if this cannot be resolved. Just frustrated. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, jlongjohn said:

All, 

First I want to thank Mopar1973MAN and everyone who has posted here, very helpful. I have recently purchased a 2001 CTD Extended Cab, 2500, Auto with 203K miles. Trans was rebuilt previous to me, not sure what they did or what parts were used. I have a Smarty for it, FASS liftpump, Aftermarket Injector Pump, Oversized Injectors (100HP I think). I have the TC lock/unlock shutter bad. Now it is vibrating even when I let off the pedal and everything I have tried is not working. Here is what I have done so far:

Checked all grounds, cleaned and reattached. Removed PCM plugs, cleaned and replugged, Voltmeter and Bench test of Alternator. I need a better meter for this as mine showed it was slowly increasing with RPM's and made it up to .4, thinking meter was bad. The bench test is hard as Advanced Auto is the only one with a tester and their tester just shows that it is under .5 and that they consider that good. I took the Alternator to a reputable rebuild and test shop and they acted like they didnt believe it was an issue and said they tested it and that it was "FINE". 

I want to rebuild the alternator myself ( have no issue with this, I rebuild everything of my own and my background is electronics, but way back no recent work in this field). Are there recommendations on a good parts supplier for this? And what all should be replaced? 

I found this online so far: https://www.aspwholesale.com/alternators/denso/er/if/alternator-p10709.html

Also I want to test my cables, voltage drop and continuity, what is the best or proper procedure for this? 

Looking for any help, I love the truck but will not be able to keep it if this cannot be resolved. Just frustrated. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

First, Have you unhooked the alternator to confirm that the alternator is indeed the cause?

Second Shutter can be caused by to much torque management provided by the smarty, this is why I refer the previous.

Also, any bench test done by a shop included AC from the actual test machine, I've seen Alternators test a .4 on the machine, and on my truck it tests .2 on my Fluke Meter.

A VDrop test is much better to test on these, and I have noticed a trend of failing Drivers side ground cables causing TC lock up issues.

Mike should be able to chime in correctly, but I believe that you use your voltmeter on the voltage setting, and put the positive probe on the engine, and the ground on the battery ground post. the difference should be noted.

here is the article Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link, I am searching and finding tons of good resources here. So I did a ton of things today. First I disconnected the alternator and took a ride. Somewhat better but some vibration still there. So I have been noticing a screeching sound when pulling out and it was really bad today, I suspected the driveshaft u-joints but when I crawled under and tried to turn it it was solid. Had a friend look underneath while pulling out and he thought he saw movement in the rear u-joint so I looked while he moved the truck and sure enough it was at the rear u-joint. It was very tight but when I took it apart I only found a couple needle bearings in the whole joint. Took it for a ride and the constant vibration was gone but still shudder there under light to no acceleration. So I started testing cables. All were good except the passenger side battery to block. The connection at the block was corroded, I missed doing this one when I went over the body grounds and PCM/ECM grounds. I took it for a ride and it was the same. So I tested voltages at various points with the truck running, and I noticed the ac ripple was fluctuating up and down in rythym with something I could hear in the truck. It was the ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge. Since I have owned it the gauge always bounced up and down from 15-20 constantly while driving. I neede to change the fuel filter anyway so I did the filter and the inline prefilter on my FASS. After the change my pressure is constant at 20, so I took it for a ride and it seems like the issue is gone! So maybe the FASS pump fluctuation or the driveshaft vibration made the shudder worse? I have tried both the stock ecm settings and smarty #3 which is fuel, timing, and boost but not catcher. Didn't want to add torque management yet. Funny thing is it still feels like it limits as my boost and acceleration rise it reaches a point where it lets off and I am still in the pedal. Not sure where to go next. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 12:14 PM, Carl Steven Clendenning said:

Ive done everything listed here in this thread and then some. Still doing it and Im done. Anyone wanna buy a 2001 with 170000 miles brand new ATS stage 5 tranny and common bolt ons 

When testing are you using a good quality voltage meter? also can you give a list of things you have replaced, or tested on the electrical system.

Also how was you battery grounds when doing a vDrop test?

After putting new cables, terminals, alternator cable, batteries, and 2 alternators in my truck I was still having issues.  My alternator was testing good but I was still getting the unlock/lock issue.  I found an article online somewhere talking about the little ground connectors on the passenger side causing issues.  My new cables spliced in before these connections so I just cut them out and respliced.  I now have gone a few months without issue.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bojangles said:

After putting new cables, terminals, alternator cable, batteries, and 2 alternators in my truck I was still having issues.  My alternator was testing good but I was still getting the unlock/lock issue.  I found an article online somewhere talking about the little ground connectors on the passenger side causing issues.  My new cables spliced in before these connections so I just cut them out and respliced.  I now have gone a few months without issue.  

Did you get rid of three grey plugs (female and male) that are from the negative to the body grounds and go to the PCM. these were a problem area for me also.

• Staff

I'm usually wrong about suggestions, but on one of my two second gens, both nice trucks, I found a faulty ground thru the alternator bracket and alternator does not have a wired ground So I added wired grounds from alternator housing to neg. battery on both trucks.

I have no clues if it has helped but, will say on the truck I removed the grey connectors and soldered them back together had a slight shifting problem before has never come back.

Now the other truck is showing the same shifting problem and still has the grey connectors well you know where those connectors is going.........

BTW, I also added a big gauge wire ground from PCM to the firewall instead of pea unie factory wire. lol

Edited by JAG1

I agree I pulled them apart like Mopar Man and put the dielectric grease to them for the second time I have had the truck for 12 years . The problem in my area Nova Scotia Canada is the salt water and air has the salt fog which rust everything. I just put a new truck box on the truck from Texas and undercoating is a must in our area but the Lobsters are great also. I see post of trucks on the site and some of the trucks have zero rust on them makes me cry as I get ready for undercoating again.