• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sad Day for Mopar1973Man!

• Owner

Well gang...I've gone and done it. I've gone and sold my 1973 Dodge Charger to a local family that is planning on restoring the car back to its glory days. This car has a lot of history being my Dad bought the car back in 1973 brand new and then hand down to me for my 16th birthday. The car is now 39 years old and got roughly 339,000 miles on it. The engine and trans have low miles on them.post-2-138698188333_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188347_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188359_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain... Been there too, more than once. I guess the worst was when I sold the 68 RoadRunner... my first car of my own. The 80 Challenger (Jap). The 79 Chevy 454... broke my heart after 5 years in the barn, fired that mother up, burned the fogging oil out of it. I didn't even take it for a run up the street. (I never would have been able to part with it if I had.) Sounded like a bear, rummbling away. It is hard to move on, even when it the right thing to do.

• Owner

The family that is buying it is going do me the favor and post pictures of it change in life. So as he fixes it up he'll post pictures up of the the car... So its going cool to watch him restore the car back to the way it was the best he can. Be nice to see a 39 year old car rolling again...Yeah its sad but yes I need to let it go... There is no reason to hang on to it to let it rot away under the tree.

Yeah, that is sad Mike. I tend to get more attached to cars than most people and can sympathize. But, things must move on. Lots of good times in the car, and it looks well loved, but I think the new owners will love it as well.

• Owner

Better running under the sun than sitting under a tarp. That is the first dodge I have seen with an auxillary speedometer on the dash. Factory custom?

That is the raylle speedo for that car that goes to 150 MPH... I pulled it out to keep myself out of trouble because that car has seen 145 MPH... :woot:

• Owner

Well it finally left the property today... I'm sure going to miss that old car... :cry: Like all you said it best to left go and allow some one else to enjoy the vehicle now after he builds it back up again. :thumbup2:My buddy Relentless70 show up with his trailer and we loaded it up and got it tied down. The the new owners showed up shortly afterwards and finished the transaction and handed over the title.post-2-13869818837_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188383_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188394_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188405_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188415_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188425_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698188435_thumb.jpg

At least it left behind a Dodge!!

My 454 woke from it's 5 years asleep, with a positive growl. AFB carb, edlebrock intake, cometition cam (towing), edlebrock timing chain, headers into oversized exhausts. When it fired off, it filled the barn & yard (front acre anyway) with the sweet grey haze of fogging oil... and settled down to a rumbling idle. Took me back to all the boats we winterized (200 a year for nearly 20 years).

I'd had my CTD for 5 years... I was never going back...

Posted Image

454 Camper Special, Scamper 5th wheel parked next to my horse's paddock after we married '89. (The horse got to move in before I did!)

Well, then, who would I be? I learned to drive on Mom's 64 Chrysler. My first car was '68 Plymouth RoadRunner. (Kept the RR until 1977. It ran like a bear but was a rust bucket after sinking up to the headlights on I95.)

• Owner

I don't know Russ... :shrug: But that 1973 Charger is what made me who I am today and my love for the Mopar products. It's also what I learned how to turn my very first wrench on. Trust me I learn a awful lot of things with that Charger. Basically what I'm saying is if it wasn't for my Dad giving me the Charger for a graduation present this site might not of ever come to be. :cool: The Charger was the vehicle that got me started down the slippery slope of Mopar / Dodge Products... :whistle:Could of been worse my first rig could of been a Ford or Chevy... :ahhh:

• 4 weeks later...

First Mopar was a 1972 Barracuda, Canary yellow with a white hard top, white interior, etc. Hercules Honcho 60s on Cragar S/S wheels all the way around. Of course, dual exhaust. I miss the hell out of that car.

Also bought a '72 Cuda ..... only 'new' vehicle I've ever had. Torrid Red (orange), with black interior. Factory Hurst pistol grip 4-speed. This was the first year that the compression ratio was dropped to 8.5:1 from 10:1 ... 340, AFB, dual exhaust. First ChryCo was a '50 Fargo flat deck 'duellie' ..... flathead 6, with a split exhaust manifold ..... wish it were still mine! My Dad had a '67 Barracuda (non fast-back) also .....