• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3 In a Row

i has been seen average miles per gallon on my 2001 Cummins 2WD dually as mixing city and highway... it is about 19 to 20 MPG... but i do fill between 24 to 26 gallons (i has never let fuel gauge pass after 1/4 of tank!) it was between 540 to 600 miles per filling up... most of time i do enjoying to driving my cummins on highway as just go where i want go to get lost! like my dad did with my family when i was kid... my dad always say we will go to someplace where we will lost!

woohoo! DW, I got 14.02MPG with yesterday's fill-up! That's the best I've had in awhile! LOL

I just looked at your signature line.............

1. Those mud tires don't help mpg. What psi you run in them? Who makes Federal tires BTW???

2. Leveling kit/death wobble starter kit doesn't help mpg either. Increase drag.

3. What are you running your "box" on??? The "more power" tunes can get better mpg if you can resist the urge to use the power all the time.

4. Is it possible you've got a dragging brake, or even a dragging emergency brake??

5. I'm wondering if you injectors are shot.:shrug::smart:

Your mileage is certainly abnormally low IMHO. Almost as low as many of the guys here that tow big 5ers!! Unless you have Frankenstrein driving shoes, or there's something you're not telling us, I truly don't know!!!!:doh::banghead:

- - - Updated - - -

i has been seen average miles per gallon on my 2001 Cummins 2WD dually as mixing city and highway... it is about 19 to 20 MPG... but i do fill between 24 to 26 gallons (i has never let fuel gauge pass after 1/4 of tank!) it was between 540 to 600 miles per filling up...

most of time i do enjoying to driving my cummins on highway as just go where i want go to get lost! like my dad did with my family when i was kid... my dad always say we will go to someplace where we will lost!

You must use the "new math" or go by the overhead Lie-O-Meter: because when I ran your numbers (they looked off), and came up with 20-22.5mpg for the 540 mile tank and 24-26 gal fill up; and 23-25mpg for the 600 mile tank with the same gallons.:smart::duh:

'Splain please!!:cool:

Not arguing, just asking!!

I just looked at your signature line............. 1. Those mud tires don't help mpg. What psi you run in them? Who makes Federal tires BTW??? 2. Leveling kit/death wobble starter kit doesn't help mpg either. Increase drag. 3. What are you running your "box" on??? The "more power" tunes can get better mpg if you can resist the urge to use the power all the time. 4. Is it possible you've got a dragging brake, or even a dragging emergency brake?? 5. I'm wondering if you injectors are shot.:shrug::smart: Your mileage is certainly abnormally low IMHO. Almost as low as many of the guys here that tow big 5ers!! Unless you have Frankenstrein driving shoes, or there's something you're not telling us, I truly don't know!!!!:doh::banghead:

1. I'm sure they dont help, but are a necessity. 60psi front, 80psi rear when towing. when not, I drop the rears to 60. 2. I'd like to see #s on how much drag coefficient is affected by a leveling kit. Curiosity. 3. It doesn't really matter what I run it on. #2 (tow), to #5 (extreme) matters none. I can and do resist the power usage. 4. I've been over the rotating assemblies many time, for just that reason. No dragging that I can find. 5. This is my #1 concern, and one I've been chasing for a week or so. I think this is where it resides.. At least a majority of the poor fuel economy, anyway. I agree on the abnormal numbers. It's definitely decrease over the past 8-10 months.. And I don't have Frank's shoes. I'm a lot like you.. slow and easy. well, driving-wise, anyway..

• 4 months later...

Filled up this afternoon after pheasant hunting. Very little trailer towing on this tank...............less than 100 miles. At fill up, I had 672.6 miles on the tank and filled her up with 32.8xx gallons of fuel. That works out to just under 20.5mpg. No long jaunts on the highway either............mostly driving around suburbia here. Mighty Whitey has 177,4xx miles on her now also.:thumb1:I truly believe I've picked up almost 1mpg with the SpynTec freespin hub kit that I installed in July.:smart:

Dorkweed, in your sig you have a few mods I'd like to ask.... What is the tone ring mod? Why did you do a tank vent mod? And, What is the Fram boost intake mod? Sounds interesting, does it help mileage ? T.I.A.

Tone Ring Mod............Just a way to "advance" the engine timing mechanically. If you've read any of my posts/threads about my Smarty, I can't run any "timing" via the Smarty or I'll get timing rattle. The tone ring sits behind the engine dampner on the front of the crank. Fuel Tank Vent Mod..........This was the first mod I did to my truck, and the I love the most. It's a mod to move the fuel tank vent so you can get more diesel in the tank. Dodge uses the same tank for gas and diesel trucks. Gas truck fuel tanks need an area above the liquid fuel line in a full tank for expansion and for vapors. Diesel expands and doesn't vaporize anywhere near as fast a gasoline, so it's a way to get more fuel in the tank. Before the mod, I'd fill up with about 28gallons when the "distance to empty" on the "lie-O-meter" read 0. Now I fillup with 31-32+ gallons when it hits around 0. Fram Boost 2 Intake.......Just a "rebadged" AEM Brute Force intake system. Won the thing in an internet raffle!! I've just changed back to the OEM intake system because the rubber on the filter part of the Fram system was starting to dry rot. In 20/20 hindsight, I should've kept the OEM intake system from the start. It's good to almost 500 HP. Does that help??:smart::think:
  • Like 1

• Staff

Tone Ring Mod............Just a way to "advance" the engine timing mechanically. If you've read any of my posts/threads about my Smarty, I can't run any "timing" via the Smarty or I'll get timing rattle. The tone ring sits behind the engine dampner on the front of the crank.

I thought you ran SW5 defaults? I know that on my truck I turned down the timing in the load load 1200-1600 rpm range from stock because stock rattles. But the rest of the map I run more timing, and the truck is much better to drive. It's also not just a couple of degrees, in some places I run more than 20° of timing over stock.

I thought you ran SW5 defaults? I know that on my truck I turned down the timing in the load load 1200-1600 rpm range from stock because stock rattles. But the rest of the map I run more timing, and the truck is much better to drive. It's also not just a couple of degrees, in some places I run more than 20° of timing over stock.

All I can tell y'all is what I've done!!!! I "cannot" run my Smarty Revo with "advanced timing", because I get "timing rattle"!!!

Now I am confused, SW5 defaults (as stated by you) has advanced timing??? So are you running defaults or not?

According to my Smarty Revo "destructions".......................SW5 is "Advanced" timing; but not "max" timing..................the "even" numbered Smarty settings are stock timing. On the the "REVO" tune I have, I run the "default" settings...................which is "mild" timing advancement. Sorry!!!

I STAND CORRECTED!!!:duh::doh: I'm a dope!!!