• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Driveway Gate

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

MoparMom and I went down to Ontario, OR and purchased a pair of 8 foot ranch gates and pair of railroad ties for post. Needless to say it was a very nasty digging job took nearly all day to dig two 3 foot deep holes and set the post. But I'm please with the results it will keep unwanted people out of the yard and also keep thing from disappearing from the yard.As for the gap in the gates there wasn't much I could do about it being this is nothing more than a river bottom in my yard with roack as big as 4-8 foot at times. So I hard to fish my way down to 3 foot depth one way or another so the extra 9-10 inch gap was added. :rolleyes:post-2-13869819386_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698193826_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698193836_thumb.jpgpost-2-13869819385_thumb.jpg

• Owner

Nothing walking off yet. But don't like the traffic the neighbor has next door so before it does possibly walk off I better secure it.As for locking it. No problem the supplied chain is long enough already and it lock as of tonight... :hyper:You must not of paid attention to the pictures. What's is on my belt? :whistle:And the MAD (Mean Ar$e Dog) is usually running around the yard or laying here in the window so if he barks I open door and either the Diesel gets it or I do.

• Like 1

• Owner

No, if you were talking to me that is one of the first things I saw. Said to myself, wonder what kind of looks he got around town?

Actually rarely have anyone ever said anything. Most people give me the thumbs up. As far as I know both Idaho and Oregon are open carry states and allowed. As for my concealed permit its good for Idaho but not Oregon so I got to open carry in Oregon. Also a member of... http://idahoopencarry.org/ I'm more about protecting my family (MoparMom, Diesel, and myself). Hence why the gates being installed its about protecting the house and property. :wink:

When I was on the PD... we lived way up a private drive... we'd occasionally get people who were lost. The drive was a single lane (filled) through a swamp so people who started in had no choice but to keep coming. There was barely room enough to turn my stock trailer in front of the garage... except my dog (noisy white sled dog type) had an overhead cable run that took up half of it. I installed 3 banks of flood lights on the house so I could do what ever in the dark... switches inside & outside in the garage. "Visitors" had no choice but to wait in the glare of the lights for me to hold the dog... If I didn't have a gun on me when they arrived, I stuck one, half into my back pocket, before going out. Most often the intruders claimed to be looking for a neighbor (ex-bro-in-law to my then wife) same name on mail box... similar driveway... who had a auto repair garage. Oh, yeah, then there was the "other dog"... looked like a German Shepard with long hair. Butch was a collie/shepard cross, full brother to the dog at the junkyard down the street.

Last year (I think) when I went to Nebraska to help that guy, he had me digging holes for posts as well. He had a post hole digger and I said how deep and he said until the post hole digger is flush. Meaning the holes were like 6 ft deep. It was freezing with wind and everything which pushed me so hard to get enough heat going that I was doing each hole in half an hour. Then you fill them in and tamp them the whole time while you fill it in. Those posts were so solid it would total a geo metro if it ran into it lol. So do it on a cold day when someone ticked you off and get really mad and take it out on the dirt and you'll have a 10ft hole in no time lol. My fury was derived from the cold but I don't think you care about the cold so yeah, slam your foot in the truck door or something to bring out the rage :lol:

That same property of my ex... needed fencing. Borrowed (from a neighbor) a small Ford farm tractor with a post hole digger. Stretched a rope & put a stake every X feet. Picked up my rope. Drove down the fence line (between the trees) & put the auger on each stick. I hit a few rocks but was able to move forward & back a tad. Only broke the shear pin once... just a long 1/4" steel bolt. Used PT 4x4s or garden ties as posts. I used native oak barn board for rails, nailed on with Galv twist nails (before the era of screw guns & deck screws) on the inside so leaning horse push twards the fence posts, not away, trimmed to length with a Homelite chain saw, added next section. Since it was along the road, we only left the horses out there in the day time. You should have seen me leading 4 horses down the driveway at once...

• Owner

Well I got to finish my fencing project after I install a VP44 for a local gent today. I'm going to talk to him and see if he's got a T post hammer so I can replace a few missing T post and then I'm going to string up a bit of barbed wire to close off the front of the property. What's bothering me is the firewood pile. This spot I'm using is next to driveway and wouldn't take much to drive up and load rounds. But once the fence is in you not going to lift a 100-200 pound round over the fence to well.More or less keep the honest people honest. Because if someone wants it bad enough they will cut locks, push open gates, push over fences to get what they want. It the difference of making it difficult so they might get caught.

Well I got to finish my fencing project after I install a VP44 for a local gent today. I'm going to talk to him and see if he's got a T post hammer so I can replace a few missing T post and then I'm going to string up a bit of barbed wire to close off the front of the property. What's bothering me is the firewood pile. This spot I'm using is next to driveway and wouldn't take much to drive up and load rounds. But once the fence is in you not going to lift a 100-200 pound round over the fence to well. More or less keep the honest people honest. Because if someone wants it bad enough they will cut locks, push open gates, push over fences to get what they want. It the difference of making it difficult so they might get caught.

Isn't this in the middle of nowhere? I think fort knox is less secure lol. If it were me, I would have left everything completely open. Then when they start taking wood, make them dance with bullets. Why prevent them from learning a good lesson, if it's not you then they will take it from someone else.. I should run the country :evilgrin:

• Owner

It is in the middle of nowhere. I've been informed by Adams County deputy that they will not come down here typical because they are to afraid because of lack of cell and radio service. Then there is more drug and alcohol usage in the area now since things are getting rather depressed around the area. So grape vine rumors are going around of little things disappearing. So time to secure the fort. Because I can't rely on local police force (60 miles away) and I'm not going to support someone else's drug and alcohol habit with our property and belongings.Already had the fire house vandalized this summer. So how much more clue do I need. :whistle:

I see. I would still open everything up, give moparmom a hole in the wall and a .22 and let her go at anything that moves lol. People need to be taught! I think there is a much bigger issue with the country that everyone is missing. I can't put my finger on it but it revolves around bandaiding things than finding permanent solutions. Actualllllly the BIGGEST problem is that people don't work together. I don't know if they ever did (did they?) but back in the world wars I know everyone supported it and did what they could to help (at least thats what I read they did). I don't see that kind of support these days. 9/11 happened and bush said he would kill them and his rating went through the roof, but I don't eh I don't remember but I guess I don't recall anyone doing anything different to support the war. Half the country says we shouldn't even be at war. We need to unite, settle our differences, compromise on a plan that works for everyone, if that means that the federal government needs to step back and let the states decide on their own, so be it. I don't think what works in colorado will work in delaware. But I have no clue on the laws all I know is people really don't work together. I mean a community could work together and thrive. Car pooling.....NEVER happens because of whatever reason between people. You could probably cut half the gas consumption in america if everyone carpooled to work. But people don't because they don't want to talk to the other or they haven't made any friends with anyone, whatever. I have noticed that a lot in college. I have a chemistry class with 500 people and although it was completely filled at the beginning, only 250 or less show up now. Everyone sits with a chair between the next person. It's BS. I realize some people are unbearable to put up with, as in they talk when the teacher is talking or try and copy off of you or something, but most people don't and I see no reason why everyone can't be friends with each other and work toward a common goal. Voting booths...why the hell do you have to be in a closed booth so the person you don't know next to you doesn't see who you voted for... Even if they knew you, it should just be "known" that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But no, people of today would chew you out, tell you obama is the antichrist, whatever else. I think it is apparent everyone on here is against obama, I really don't have an opinion either way because I got nothing out of the debates. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion of what they think is best though. My mom didn't like obamacare, so she went romney. Another person I know didn't like it either because she was a pharmacist and apparently obamacare caps their income. But obviousllly there were other aspects that people did like. I just don't see why people don't join forces. Hell it wouldn't take much to set up a meeting in your town, explain that we need to join together, and spread the word to other towns. Nobody cares though, its always the governments fault apparently. But if we joined together, we could surely overthrow the government, if that was the ultimate solution to the problem (I have no clue). You can think about it the same as a company. They work together for a common goal, to make a product so they can make money. America is the same way. We all work together to make money. In bigger companies, there is less communication between people. This is the same in america, but in both cases it works. The problem comes when you can't settle differences between people and work out a compromise. People pay twice as much to ship something just so they don't have to talk to whoever because of reasons that probably don't make a damn to the company. The last place I worked did a lot of crappy work because of this stuff. The foreman and the guy under him didn't like each other so the foreman would just tell him to do whatever he wanted since he knew everything. He didn't but he was kinda cocky so the foreman shoved it in his face and made him figure it out. He had no experience and made a lot of worthless crap that the foreman didn't care about and so it worked but it was just so lousy that anyone could have done better. Daysss were lost because of this because it took him forever to figure it out on his own. I realize his cockyness needed to be corrected but you don't sacrifice customer quality for that crap. I worked with everyone's ways of doing things as to not tip the balance any and make someone mad, but the crap they did partially reflected on me since I was wearing the same shirt as them. Meaning my awesome conduit (I love bending/running conduit) was distorted by the crap they made that I had to run it to. So it was part of the reason I left, if not 3/4 of the reason. Ok this is plenty long and yeah the point is we just need to work out our differences, get to the point of understanding we all have opinions and the RIGHT to our own opinions and work together toward a better way of life. Don't attack me, I know this might be way off to some [or all] of you but it's just the way I see things :pray: Sorry to divert into a huge uhhh whatever I just did.

Mike, I did see your "little buddy" in the picture. Just didn't think I needed to mention it!!!! The extra dogs would just be your "early warning" device for possible thievery!!!!:smart::thumbup2:With yesterdays outcome; I'd expect more stuff to "walk off" magically for regular folks around the country once things hit the even lower bottom than we're in now.:think::duh:Hope you and Mom have plenty of ammo around.:smart::thumbup2: This coming year; the current occupant of the White House, will again be the NRA salesman of the year!!!! And expect an all out assault on "legal" gun ownership and "legal" gun and ammunition sales!!!!:smart::smart:

So do it on a cold day when someone ticked you off and get really mad and take it out on the dirt and you'll have a 10ft hole in no time lol. My fury was derived from the cold but I don't think you care about the cold so yeah, slam your foot in the truck door or something to bring out the rage :lol:

LMFAO!!!!