• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What kind of mileage with Your RV

• Staff

I am curious about what kind of mileage you guys get hauling your RV's.I get right around 14.1 hauling a 3,000 lb camper. Running around 60 mph. Usually over one mtn. pass and then the rest of the same tank used mostly on level highway.How 'bout you guys?T.I.A.

I haul a slide in camper in my gen 2 truck. The weight (when loaded ) is slightly above 2500 pounds but it stands over 11 feet tall.The reason I mention that is the fact that wind drag is the major contributor to decreased mpg when you travel at higher speeds.As an example my mpg with the camper on has run between 10.5 when traveling into a headwind and up to 16.0 when traveling on flat level roads at between 58 and 60 mph.I also pull a 5000 pound boat and I can run down the road at 65 mph and get 16 mpg all day. The boat doesn't sit up in the airsteam like the camper and is more streamline shape.

Mine is a 36' fith wheel. It stands 12' 8" high and weighs 15k loaded. My last trip I got 11.3 mpg at 65mph and less. That was from columbia tenn to Des Moines Ia. Mostly rolling hills. I used to run the same RV at 70 to 75 mph and only got abotu 9.8. I have to agree on the wind drag.

Before the 75 HP injectors hauling my 16 ft. gooseneck, loaded or empty I would get about 12 mpg. Now with the injectors I am seeing around 16 mpg, plus the only reason to downshift on most hills is to keep my egt below 1200 degrees.

Johnathan, do you run your boost fooler AND your smarty together?

Did a run down to Pismo, 252 miles one way. Set the cruise control on 60. Got 12.5mpg. Smarty on 7. Fifthwheel is 36' long, a hair over 12k pounds. On a 3200 mile trip to Yellowstone and back I averaged 13mpg, but that included close to 1000 miles of solo driving. Doing 65-70mph I was down to 10mpg on a few of the legs, especially with a head wind. One leg I had a great tail wind because I jumped up to 13mpg even though I was doing 70-75 the whole way (about 300 miles). All hand calculated. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnathan, do you run your boost fooler AND your smarty together?

Not at the moment. I had my pcm go bad and replaced it, but at the time that my pcm went out I had my smarty programmed so I have to send it in and get it unlocked. I made a few calls back when it happened and got a run a round, but I do have to get it taken care of so I can start using my smarty again.

Hate to sound like the towing police but to keep you all out of trouble be aware there is towing speed limits for each and every state. Just because the post speed limits is 65, 75, or even 80 MPH doesn't your allowed those speeds with a trailer in tow.

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

Mike, is this just for rvs or does this include all trailers? Im in Ohio where the speed limit is 65 but Im right on the Pennsylvania border where the speed limit is 55. I am in pa quite a bit and have never ran 55 mph with my trailer in tow :stuned: Either Ive been lucky all these years or this law only applies to rvs :shrug:

Im also assuming the minimum length they posted is truck and trailer combined? Not too many people pulling 40 and 50 foot trailers or rvs with a pick up!

- - - Updated - - -

Not at the moment. I had my pcm go bad and replaced it, but at the time that my pcm went out I had my smarty programmed so I have to send it in and get it unlocked. I made a few calls back when it happened and got a run a round, but I do have to get it taken care of so I can start using my smarty again.

So at one time you were running them together? Im just curious because the smarty does the boost fooling in the software and Im interested why you ran the boost fooler as well?

Thanks, JR

• Staff

I get 9.5-14 towing my 8K TT, depending on speed. ~10 at 70, and increases from there.

As for Idaho laws it applys to any trailer in tow be it a utility, RV or another vehicle. You might research the towing laws in your state. Like a clue for Idaho is Truck speed limit is towing speed limit. (65 MPH).

Do you have a reference (official) for the 65 mph towing limit in Idaho? According to a source at ISP there is no separate speed limit for towing in Idaho. The only lower limit is if your 5 or more axles, and over 26K lbs then it's 65. But your legally allowed to tow at the posted limit with any trailer that doesn't make you a "truck".

- - - Updated - - -

Found this.. no speed limit when towing other than listed above.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH6SECT49-654.htm

No worries here. 55mph in CA when towing. 75mph on 80 once I'm out of CA. 65mph most of the rest of the roads I was on between here and Yellowstone. I upgraded the trailer tires to LTs, so I'm not limited there. The only time that i was speeding during my 3200 mile trip was doing 60 in CA. The vast majority of my trip I was actually either at or below the towing speed limit. I switched from 3.55s to 4.10s because of the speed limit out here, and the roads into and out of Yosemite. :-)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Owner

I get 9.5-14 towing my 8K TT, depending on speed. ~10 at 70, and increases from there.

Do you have a reference (official) for the 65 mph towing limit in Idaho? According to a source at ISP there is no separate speed limit for towing in Idaho. The only lower limit is if your 5 or more axles, and over 26K lbs then it's 65. But your legally allowed to tow at the posted limit with any trailer that doesn't make you a "truck".

- - - Updated - - -

Found this.. no speed limit when towing other than listed above.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH6SECT49-654.htm

Well I'm going to have to double check up here next time I see a state police officer.

The maximum lawful speed limit on interstate highways shall not exceed sixty-five (65) miles per hour for vehicles with five (5) or more axles operating at a gross weight of more than twenty-six thousand (26,000) pounds.

So a triple axle RV would be bound by the law. Even though you might not meet the weight requirements.

So just with that small part of it and the "or" makes it rather grey...

• Staff

Well I'm going to have to double check up here next time I see a state police officer.

The maximum lawful speed limit on interstate highways shall not exceed sixty-five (65) miles per hour for vehicles with five (5)ormore axles operating at a gross weight of more than twenty-six thousand (26,000) pounds.

So a triple axle RV would be bound by the law. Even though you might not meet the weight requirements.

So just with that small part of it and the "or" makes it rather grey...

I spoke with an ISP Trooper yesterday on the subject. He had never heard of a towing specific speed limit.

A triple axle RV only has the speed limit if he is over 26K. The bold OR you reference is still talking about axles. It is perfectly legal to go 75 (in a posted 75 zone) with 5 axles at a GCW of 25K.

• Owner

I spoke with an ISP Trooper yesterday on the subject. He had never heard of a towing specific speed limit. A triple axle RV only has the speed limit if he is over 26K. The bold OR you reference is still talking about axles. It is perfectly legal to go 75 (in a posted 75 zone) with 5 axles at a GCW of 25K.

That's scary... :stuned: I still wouldn't want to do it...

• Staff

Back to the MPG's part of the thread. What good is it to travel 68-70 MPH? Its been proven by many people already that MPG's fall off quickly above 55-60 MPH wind drag of a flat face box is going to jump quickly as you increase speed.

You don't have kids do you :-) Safety is another reason, going 20mph below the average speed is not safe, it's worth a few bucks in diesel to me.