• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Roadtrip Adventure spare parts list!

So I am planning a week long trip to Yellowstone and the surrounding areas and figure I should compile a list of spare parts and tools to carry. There may be some mild off roading along the way. What would you consider essential spares to carry? Fan beltrad hosestire repair kitfluids (oil, coolant, trans)u joint?Extra fusesLight bulbsAre there any known common parts failures that are specific to 24v trucks that could leave one stranded?

• Staff

On long road trips I tend to carry only a few thingsExtra lift pump and tools for that3/4'' wrench for primingExtra fuel filter(s) and tools for thatA Timbo Apps and cam sesnsor and tools for them.Tow strap and extra fluids

Aside from what you mentioned I always take my oem carter lift pump with me and I have a spare of every critical sensor. Also keep a tool box in the back with all the common wrenches and sockets. All critical fluids as well. If you have a scanner to read any codes that may pop up that could be a life saver. Caj is right about aaa while on the road but then you still have to pay a shop to fix your truck. Sometimes theres no way around that, you cant do everything yourself on the road. But I sure do try to cover as much as I can. Not only does it save money but can potentially save alot of time. Nobody wants to hang around and burn up an extra day and night of vacation on a Sunday waiting for a shop to open Monday morning when it could be something you handle on your own in an hour or two.When are you heading to Jellystone? Ill be in south eastern Wyoming the 2nd week of July for 6 or 7 days. Would have liked to of taken the kids to Yellowstone while were out there but we have too much going on this summer and couldnt take enough time away from home. Will make it happen one year soon.

We'll be heading out the 3rd week of June. I will definitely have a full assortment of tools. The scanner is a good idea so I will bring the smarty along. The spare! Of course. It's funny how many times I've curiously checked people's spares only to find them completely flat. I have a mechanical fuel pump and always have an extra belt, but filters would be a good idea along with extra fuel line. I see the Timbo apps mentioned, what other sensors would one carry?

The APPS is the big one IMO. Also for me a crank sensor, although I think the 00-02 trucks went to the Cam sensor, I dont know if they have both. MAP sensor rarely fails but I have one anyway. In my case I bought a spare of everything simply because my sensors (except my APPS) are all original. Which means theyre 13+ yrs old now, who knows how long they will last. Eventually theyre bound to go so when they do I have them sitting on the shelf in the garage or in the toolbox when Im on the road. Also if you order from Geno's you will get Cummins sensors. Theyre just a tad pricier than going to your local autoparts store but worth the extra few bucks IMO.

Take your AAA card that has the 200 mile free tow on it. Best tool I own.

That's what I go with myself, if you need to carry half a vehicle worth of parts with in fear of failure means you are not doing a good enough job looking things over during normal "PM" preventative maintenance service time. I carry a spare belt in all vehicles "although in 20+ years I have never failed a serpentine belt" and basic tools specific to the vehicle and on road trips far from home a fuel filter and a bit of engine oil since I use Amsoil and during summer a box of rags and window cleaner. In the winter I have little room in the cab as I carry enough cold weather gear to keep 2-3 people dressed for sub zero and have had to use it to help other out a few times over the years.
  • Like 1

I have only had a water pump fail out of nowhere. I look at my truck all the time and never saw it do anything weird, then I was driving and it started making noise, popped the hood and watched it wobbled around the bearing. Went to the store and changed it. Other than that, I have had a tire blow out from running too long on tires (they were bald), so that was my own arrogance. I had an intercooler boot blow off at 40psi because the impact wrench beats the crap out of those threads and stripped it partially out, I knew it did but it was still somewhat tight so I ignored it. I carry a 1/4" drive set with me so I put it back on and just kept the boost low. So to me the water pump should be replaced every 100k just for the sake of it not just going out instantly. It's only $30-40 so it sure saves the cost of a tow truck or overheated engine. Aside from that, I think the same way as W&F, if you don't maintain it, bring the toolbox. I know every inch of my trucks condition so I take only what I know will break along with the 1/4" drive set and maybe some pliers. I take some oil but I don't bring any spare parts as if I have a doubt, they should have already been changed. On cumminsforum there was a thread like this and those guys had more tools in their truck than I have in my garage :doh: Make sure the spare tire and everything to change it are all there.

• Like 1

• Owner

Bingo! Wild and Free & ISX hit the nail right on the head.

As you notice there is no extra parts in my photos. I do carry some basic tools typically but nothing else. I typically go through a full one month inspection on my truck and deal with everything. Check fluids, axles, brakes, transmission, etc. I treat my truck as if its a airplane. Because with a airplane if there is a failure you going to crash. Well in my case like Wild and Free I get the sub-zero temps and where I live it might be deadly trying to walk to get help for a vehicle failure. No cell service so AAA is meaningless. To this day my truck had NEVER seen a tow truck and never left me stranded on the highway I've always gotten home.

Like for example.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/7736-Replaced-Straight-Pipe

On my inspection I took note of my pipe starting to get small pin holes so I knew that it was low priority but I needed a new piece of exhaust pipe for the truck. So I just planned next time I headed to town pick up the pipe and Get R' Done. You bee so amazed how reliable your beast can be if you do once a month inspections.

The only time any rig of mine was behind a wrecker was when I first got a smarty for my 02 and did the first download at home, drove 40 miles to meet a guy along the Interstate to pick up a trailer for another guy, while sitting there I decided to try another program and that is when the Engine ECM gave up the ghost during the second ever program change. Thanks to AAA to get my rig home a couple hours later and Bob Wagner getting me into direct contact with Marco we found that the ECM fried, rare but does happen. Bob overnighted me an ECM on him and I was back in business 2 days later.

When your making a 1000 plus mile trip each way its hard saying what can happen and where it will happen. An electric lift pump can go at anytime, mine is a year old and I just pulled it off yesterday due to an internal leak causing loss of prime when the truck sits. This 2 days after a 1000 mile trip to west Virginia. As far as carrying extra sensors, I would like for someone to explain how you know when one is going to give up its ghost? Ive contemplated changing all mine out due to their age but as we all know in todays world newer does not necessarily mean better. So I have all the critical spares and I keep them handy whenever i leave town. My truck is over 13 years old. Thats called being prepared, it has nothing to do with lack of maintaining anything.

• Staff

What about that silly factory tire jack behind the seat? That thing is not very good, esp. if you are hauling a heavy camper. Has anyone figured out a way to mount a better bigger jack back there? It needs to mount pretty solid cause a good jack can kill in a wreck.Also, can a hydrolic (sp.) jack mount sideways without leaking on the carpet?Thanks:) to anyone that knows

When your making a 1000 plus mile trip each way its hard saying what can happen and where it will happen. An electric lift pump can go at anytime, mine is a year old and I just pulled it off yesterday due to an internal leak causing loss of prime when the truck sits. This 2 days after a 1000 mile trip to west Virginia. As far as carrying extra sensors, I would like for someone to explain how you know when one is going to give up its ghost? Ive contemplated changing all mine out due to their age but as we all know in todays world newer does not necessarily mean better. So I have all the critical spares and I keep them handy whenever i leave town. My truck is over 13 years old. Thats called being prepared, it has nothing to do with lack of maintaining anything.

My thinking is more along these lines. I am always on top of maintance and have gone through the truck from top to bottom since I've acquired it. I have addressed anything that seemed questionable, such as worn front end parts, switched to mech fuel pump,addressed fuel system, full array of gauges, etc. it has a fresh trans. Maintaince wise, I have no concern, it's just those unforeseen things, hard to find parts, or parts that would be more susceptible to failure in an off highway environment for when we decide to wander into the backcountry, which I will admit I am a bit new to.

You can be the worlds most pro active guy in the world and still end up sitting on the side of the road. Things happen that are beyond our control. The question is how well are you prepared for it. I personally dont like letting people work on my truck if I dont have to. I probably know my truck better than most average mechanics that your going to run across out on the road, so I'd prefer to not hand over my money on a job I could potentially do myself. Not to mention alot of places I go in the summer dont even have cell service, so then what? Your walking or waiting on someone to happen by you thats kind enough to stop. Just like last weekend we went to West Virginia to go fourwheeling. I didnt have cell phone service for 3 whole days. Going into camp we lost coverage about 20 miles out and didnt get it back until we were headed back out to go home. It would be a real bummer to be in a situation like that where a simple fix could get you back on the road but you dont have anything with you. It almost happened with my lift pump. I started the truck to let it warm up while we loaded the machines up and it had a hiccup about 2 seconds after it started and then carried on like nothing. I figured it was due to the steep angle the truck was parked at for the last 3 days. I drove it 500 miles back home, parked it in the driveway and went to start it for the first time yesterday and guess what? No pressure. After a little investigating I noticed the rubber grommet that seals the plug at the pump was swollen from fuel. So after trying to bleed the system unsuccessfully I went to the back of my truck (I was still loaded from the trip) grabbed the carter threw it back on and truck starts right up.It could have very well happened to me down there in the middle of nowhere and I would have been just fine because I was prepared.Of all the parts, tools, and fluids I carry they take up no more room than 2 small coolers. I have an 8 foot bed with a locking tailgate and cap so I can afford a little space. The bigger stuff that you cant do on the side of the road you may have to call a tow truck. But then again, if your stuff is properly maintenanced thats an unlikely occurance.JAG, as for the hydraulic jacks a properly working jack will not leak fluid as long as the bleeder screw is tight. But there still is an outside chance a seal could go south and then you could have a leak in your carpet. I keep a bottle jack in the bed when Im hauling my trailer. The factory jack will work on my truck but if my trailer is heavily loaded I have my doubts. I like those wheel ramps they make for tandem axle trailers. If you need to change a tire out you stuff the ramp in front of or behind the good tire and then pull up (or back up) onto it and the damaged tire is off the ground and now you can service it. I dont own one but its on the list of "it would be nice to own"

What about that silly factory tire jack behind the seat? That thing is not very good, esp. if you are hauling a heavy camper. Has anyone figured out a way to mount a better bigger jack back there? It needs to mount pretty solid cause a good jack can kill in a wreck. Also, can a hydrolic (sp.) jack mount sideways without leaking on the carpet? Thanks:) to anyone that knows

I carry a 12 ton hydraulic in the rv. The oe jack aint much but it works for me.

heres a list of what i carry, i do not carry spare sensors or anything like that, just tools and this junk:

[*]spare fuses

[*].38 s&w

[*]2 boxes of ammo

[*]12 ga - 2 boxes of shells

[*]wire strippers, needle nose pliers, hammer, pipe wrench, crescent wrench, 3/4 wrench for priming

[*]electrical tape of varying colors

[*]fluke multimeter

[*]coolant

[*]2 stroke oil

[*]tire plugs

[*]folding chair

[*]5th of my favorite for hard times and lonely nights :smart:

[*]machete

[*]survival knife with emergency fire starter, band-aids, gauze, sharpener

[*]wooden chair leg for those pesky thieves that just deserve a good beating :cool:

[*]bug spray

[*]sunscreen

[*]coveralls, long johns, thick socks, extra underwear, t shirts, shorts, gloves (winter and summer)

[*]extra fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and water separator

[*]tire plug kit

[*]1/4 inch drive sockets, metric also

[*]1/2 breaker bar with metric and started sockets

[*]a can of PB Blaster :drool:

[*]towels

[*]heavy duty flash light with batteries

[*]spot light with cigarette outlet charger

[*]2 fishing poles

[*]3 tackle boxes

[*]100 ft extension cord

[*]30 ft chain

[*]folding military shovel

[*]lantern

[*]small mouthwash bottle with larger bottle to refill from in toolbox

[*]ratcheting screwdriver with 30 interchangeable bits

[*]toilet paper

[*]very thick sleeping bag

[*]tire chock

[*]siphoning hose :whistle:

im sure there is tons more im forgetting.. i am prepared for this world to go south quickly, or so i think. i keep finding helpful things that make sense to store, just running completely out of room. im thinking of ditching the backseat soon :ahhh: