• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Over filling 6 Speed tranny

So in the efftot to elimanate issue's in my tranny before I put on my Master/Slave Clyinder. I took the time today to check the fluid level on the side which seemed almost full. then i took off the shifter and what level should the fluid be at cause it looked about 10 quart's low lol Cause i could see way down there is it suppose to be all the way up to the shifter base?? Cause I have no idea i put a quart in it and i couldn't even tell i had put any in it. So any info would be great

I don't think I have 6 quarts in mine; but the last time I changed out fluid, I drove the drivers side of my truck up on about 4 inch blocks so I could get a bit more in. I probably have close to 6 quarts in my NV5600, but not over, and 192+k miles on her now!!

I am curious why want overfill the nv5600 since Chrysler/dodge had engineering team to work and design the nv5600 and the service manual said fill up to top by fill plug port. That it. I did drain and fill mine like 5 quarts into nv5600. So far no noise as feeling the shifting as normal that would be as 208k miles.

What I read was to get more oil to the rear of the tranny for the bearings. Read enough to convince me it would not hurt anything. Had the taranny continued in the trucks longer Dodge and/or New Venture might have been an advocate of the extra quart too. But we will never know since it was discontinued. I see it as cheap insurance on an expensive transmission.

lol ill keep the 6sp and enjoy the granny gear 4lo and crawl up whatever i want with ease HAHAHAHA

JFYI; with the NV4500 and the NV5600, first gear ratios are the same............as well as the overdrive ratios.......... 5th(NV4500) and 6th(NV5600)!!!!:smart: Basically; other than weight...........the NV5600 goes almost 400lbs..................is the NV5600 has an added gear between 1st and overdrive.

I am curious why want overfill the nv5600 since Chrysler/dodge had engineering team to work and design the nv5600 and the service manual said fill up to top by fill plug port. That it. I did drain and fill mine like 5 quarts into nv5600. So far no noise as feeling the shifting as normal that would be as 208k miles.

6th gear bearing on nv5600 gets starved of lube and when towing will eat itself alive from heat and friction when filled to spec, thus why people overfill via the shift tower. a couple more quarts will save a few grand on a rebuild :)

What is best way to fill one or two more quarts in my nv5600? Jack up the driver side or just pull the shifter out then re-sealant on shifter? I did drain and filled two years ago as only like 6,000 miles. I was not drive my cummins much as I would as too many things I has to do. But now it is time to do traveling..

• Staff

So in the efftot to elimanate issue's in my tranny before I put on my Master/Slave Clyinder. I took the time today to check the fluid level on the side which seemed almost full. then i took off the shifter and what level should the fluid be at cause it looked about 10 quart's low lol Cause i could see way down there is it suppose to be all the way up to the shifter base?? Cause I have no idea i put a quart in it and i couldn't even tell i had put any in it. So any info would be great

I run 9 Qts in mine, but that's with the added capacity of the FAST Coolers. When I went from 7 to 9 Qts I did pick up a little extra gear rollover noise, so I plan to drop a Qt out.

Just need to yank out those 6 speed trans and slap in a 5 speed. I only use 4 quarts (1 gallon) no problems and no 5th gear problems. :rolleyes:

I think I'd rather have an auto.....

- - - Updated - - -

lol ill keep the 6sp and enjoy the granny gear 4lo and crawl up whatever i want with ease HAHAHAHA

1st is only 0.02:1 lower on a NV5600 than a NV4500.

The extra gear is in-between 2nd and direct (4th on a NV4500 and 5th on a NV5600). Overdrive is 0.02:1 lower on a NV4500.

Shifting at 2500 rpms a NV4500 puts you below peak torque on 2-4 shifts, and a NV5600 gives you 150-200 more rpms at the shift, meaning more torque, quicker turbo re-spool, lower EGT's and less NVH.

[TABLE=width: 186]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]NV5600[/TD]

[TD]NV4500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1st[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5.63[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5.61[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2nd[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.38[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.04[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3rd[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2.04[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.67[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4th[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.39[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5th[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6th[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.73[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I run 9 Qts in mine, but that's with the added capacity of the FAST Coolers. When I went from 7 to 9 Qts I did pick up a little extra gear rollover noise, so I plan to drop a Qt out.

I think I'd rather have an auto.....

- - - Updated - - -

1st is only 0.02:1 lower on a NV5600 than a NV4500.

The extra gear is in-between 2nd and direct (4th on a NV4500 and 5th on a NV5600). Overdrive is 0.02:1 lower on a NV4500.

Shifting at 2500 rpms a NV4500 puts you below peak torque on 2-4 shifts, and a NV5600 gives you 150-200 more rpms at the shift, meaning more torque, quicker turbo re-spool, lower EGT's and less NVH.

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]NV5600[/TD]

[TD]NV4500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1st[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5.63[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5.61[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2nd[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.38[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.04[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3rd[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2.04[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.67[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4th[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.39[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5th[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6th[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.73[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

What is "gear roll over noise"???:shrug:

I read years ago about a fellow that actually took tranny temps with different quantities of gear lube in the NV5600. IIRC, the tranny actually operates COOLER(according to him) with the OEM amount or just slightly more vs. the 6-8+qt. amount. Is it foaming and not getting splashed around to dissipate the heat generated???

Twas probably CF or TDR where I read it.:smart: