• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alright, I have read and read about lift pumps..... what is the verdict?

I am stuck trying to figure out which one to get for my truck.. I have read and read. all I hear is bad things about the Raptor pumps, I have read bad things about the FASS direct replacement pump, I have read good and bad about the Fuel Boss, I haven't heard anything about the BD lift pump, but they don't even have a good description about their own pump. I am looking to do this in a costly manor. I cant throw down the coin for the fuel boss. don't know which way to do with this. I know I am bringing up a topic that has been brought up and talked about over and over. I just know that I don't know the condition of my factory lift pump. or when it has been replaced.. I am assuming it has because my truck has 230k on it. iv`e only had it for a little over a year.

I've had good luck with FASS. I haven't been overly impressed with Air Dog or Raptor. If I had it to do again, I would do a fuel boss, and likely will if my FASS pump expires. Mopar Man has had zero issues with his AD, although his is a bit older. Honestly, I think that it depends on what is on sale and what your price point is.

• Like 1

Two things i think everyone will agree with is one, the oe Carter is none to good(the in tank solution is the same) and two, you need a fuel pressure gauge to monitor whatever pump you have, oe or aftermarket.Personally I have the ADII on mine and it has performed flawlessly for over 2.5 years now. Several folks here are running mechanical and most are happy with them. I dont know much about them other than what I have read. Not sure if there is a definitive answer as to which is best.

I have been looking at the FASS, Which one do you have? im trying to stay around $300 .

They don't make the model I have any longer. It is one of their older ones. I would shop around, JKidd here (dieselautopower), Vulcan, etc.... Perhaps one of them would work a deal with you.
  • Like 1

As always I have to recommend the assassin pump. I have been running mine for awhile now and have had zero pump issues, only replacing a belt (3minutes) due to improper deflection. I did a write up on mine that's on here somewhere. I also know there are a couple other guys running the assassin and the fuel boss. Both nearly the same. Plain and simple logic for me, fewer parts to have fail and I gain pressure when I put the skinny pedal down. I am Not knocking the electrical pumps as I have not ever owned one, but I I am a huge fan of my mechanical pumps. Good luck. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Owner

Mopar Man has had zero issues with his AD, although his is a bit older.

My AirDog 150 was back in the day when the original owner was still producing. But now AirDog quality has slid downhill. Way to many problems with air leaks, fitting problems, mounting issues, etc. Now if you where to build your own mounting bracket from steel like old school and ditch all the hoses and fitting and got a roll of parker hose and Push-Loc JIC fitting most of the problems would be solved. I'm not in pressed with Raptors or AD 165 adjustable regulator. Wat too much to fail. Old school AD 100/150's are very stable.
  • Like 1

• Staff

I may have gotten lucky getting one of the older Raptor 100's. No problems so far in 2 years, but, I've got mine set up so it's easily changed back over to an oe pump that I carry in the tool box. No quick lock fittings, just 1/2'' fuel hose and clamps. Carry extra piece of hose just in case I have to cut it off the old pump.Here's how mines set up;1/2'' shutoff ball valve-------- pre filter-------- liftpump--------1/2'' shutoff ball valve.Shut off valves help a lot. keeps prime and stops a mess when changing filter or the pump.I should mention having the Vulcan big lines all the way too.

I have been running the BD OEM bypass for 6 years with not a single issue. It was easy to install. Plugs into the factory connector for the lift pump, no relays to install. I have it mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible and am using the stock filter housing. It runs a Carter 4601 pump which is good for 100 GPH free flow. There are those who will say otherwise, but my experience has been positive.:2cents:

My AirDog 150 was back in the day when the original owner was still producing. But now AirDog quality has slid downhill. Way to many problems with air leaks, fitting problems, mounting issues, etc. Now if you where to build your own mounting bracket from steel like old school and ditch all the hoses and fitting and got a roll of parker hose and Push-Loc JIC fitting most of the problems would be solved. I'm not in pressed with Raptors or AD 165 adjustable regulator. Wat too much to fail. Old school AD 100/150's are very stable.

I have been wondering if the regulators were the same in both pumps. I assume you have seen both of them. I set mine twice the first week I had mine and have not touched it since. Sits just over 19#. I bought mine before they sold to the new owners also. I have the quick disconnects also with no issues to date.