• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thermostat

I know how diesels work, lol, I can understand why the newer engines need a hotter thermostat due to the higher injection pressures with CR injection but don't see a reason on a VP or older truck. Other than heat in the cab for winter. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Heat in the cab is the reason!

Are you running a winter front? You know, the insert panels in the grill that close that air source off. There's still air coming through the bumper, of course. It speeds warm up & puts the coolers & radiator in a warmer environment without blocking. Time for me to dig mine out since I've got the camper home I'm done heavy towing for the season. I might use a utility trailer locally & I've never noticed any temp rise doing so (but still watch).

• Owner

Like I've learned from watching coolant temperatures and IAT temperatures on the 24V Engines the coolant temperature will effect the offset of the IAT temperature which is typically +40*F over outside temperature. So now if you increase the engine temperature the offset also increases. Now for every 10* drop from 140*F IAT temperature you lose roughly 1 MPG. As the IAT continues to fall in minus weather like as low as +20*F IAT Temperature that I've seen you be down to about 14 MPG tops. Cold air does hurt MPG's. Heck this morning its only 14*F in New Meadows, ID... (Brrr....)

Here in the good ole Lone Star state it got down to 32 last night and its only 34 mid day. Time to move farther south :ahhh:

Just don't go too far south, I hear the water sucks down there!

- - - Updated - - -

Must be nice........ It was 3*F when I went to bed and 4*F when I got up.

You can keep it! It was 17 here last night but the 35 mph winds were eating through my shorts in no time. Turned my outtie into an innie.

Just don't go too far south, I hear the water sucks down there!

Ain't that what tequilla is for???

You can keep it! It was 17 here last night but the 35 mph winds were eating through my shorts in no time. Turned my outtie into an innie.

TMI!! TMI!!:ahhh::ahhh::lmao:
  • Like 1

Are you running a winter front? You know, the insert panels in the grill that close that air source off. There's still air coming through the bumper, of course. It speeds warm up & puts the coolers & radiator in a warmer environment without blocking. Time for me to dig mine out since I've got the camper home I'm done heavy towing for the season. I might use a utility trailer locally & I've never noticed any temp rise doing so (but still watch).

I slip a piece of cardboard between the rad and the air cooler. I find I get good heat in the cab with 195 degree coolant but at 190 it's already not nearly as warm. I want to try the hotter stat to see if it helps at all. I can't see it hurting in any way. By the way it's already been down to -13 here.

I'm not a fan of the cardboard idea. You block airflow to the engine bay. That leaves an aspect of overheating if its not cold enough. But airflow is also a factor. What I mean is the lack of air flow due to the fan being blocked. IIRC, it puts extra strain on the fan or fans.