• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which air bags for 2010 Dodge 1500?

OK, wanting to put air bags on my 2010 1500 4X4 Hemi.I have not followed air bag thread very close as I have not needed them for my 2500's but I am wanting to install a Gooseneck ball in my 1500 so I have a backup tow rig since my main trailers are goosenecks, not that I would pull them loaded but would like the ability to move the trailers around and transport them with my 1500 as well.I know there are several brands and I am not looking to install a compressor, I would adjust and set them to a set pressure manually and just want remote access hose and stems for now.What are the best ones for my application keeping in mind that the Dodge 1500 has rear coil springs and not leaf spring suspension.Price doesn't matter as much to me as wanting the best product that will last while being almost totally coated in mud most of the time and 75% of the time runs gravel roads so they need to be abrasion / puncture proof over the long haul.

I have the ride rite thingers, they just have the valve stem that I routed to right underneath the rubber grommet inside the tailgate. My tires leak more than those things. I never need to go over like 20psi and they are rated for 100. I have no idea what kinda insane load 100psi would take. I had our trailer packed, firewood to the bed rails and a 1000cc 4x4 4 wheeler on top of the firewood and that mighta been when I hit 20psi. They are great. I'm not sure how they would mount on coils though.

• Like 1

With all else considerations aside, I think the only option you will be close to having will be doing an air-strut. I'm sure there is an application that is specific to your vehicle. From what I understand 90% of the time the air-struts go inside the coil area.I'll try and see if I can find someone that maybe says a certain strut will fit the truck or carry a kit. As well, design of the bag and composition affect the durability.From what I understand, most probably if not, all of the bags/struts use a certain rubber compound. The proper word for it escapes me at the moment... But it is very resilient to external environmental factors. It also is good and not cracking, etc. You also want to look at a design that uses steel for reinforcing weak areas. I'm not sure if an air strut has the same design weaknesses as an airbag does, so that point may be moot.

• Like 1

I would look at Firestone kits. I used to be a dealer for them and they are great people to deal with. Looks like they list two set ups for that truck. One is a part number 2518 and the other is a 4190. The 4190 is a coil set up like hex was talking about. Its an airbag that goes inside the coil springs and usually has a fitting in the top that you can hook the lines to. With the 2518 you actually replaces the coil springs with air springs. It has height sensing abilities and all that. I would go for the 4190 for what you are planning on doing though.

• Like 1

I have been looking at different forums and found one that has great reviews and have read about blown bags from ride rite and fire stone with the in coil bags plus the Firestone bags specs are only rated to +15*f and not below.:stuned: Can't find the specs on the others though. http://www.totalloadcontrolsuspensions.com/TLCforNewDodgeRam1500CSRE-1500-1-2.aspx This one is by far the most expensive at current sale price of $370 and use Good year bags,The official temperature range of the air springs from Goodyear is -67F to 156F (-55C to 70C). In cold weather, Firestones are in the 260 range and air lift 1000's are in the $80 range. This is the first design which was changed to the current design of the second video.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcvxUvFx_8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbDvPWfDBi4bBBIjWumouoQ

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dyxKsEaxs

I use Air Lift http://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/57215/ on my 1994 Ram 1500. They have been on there for 12 years and have been the main reason my 1500 was able to tow my Beast of a horse trailer with 3 horses and equipment.post-13212-138698211431_thumb.jpg I do pump them up to 80# when towing that trailer:) But now that I have YabbaDoo it is his job to pull that Beast:cool: I will be buying the Air Lift for Yabba at the first of the year but will prob only put 20# or less in the bags.

post-13212-13869821142_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The more I look at the inside coil system that Firestone has and the air lift has other than a different color I think they are probably close to the same material and since Fire Stone says only good to +15*f I would then assume the air lift would be similar. I am leaning towards the TLC system, the good year bags hold up very well on off road semis with air suspension as well so there is a good track record there too.Not only the cold weather but the abrasion of being in a mud coated coil spring would leave me to believe I would be changing them out quite often and I have read of pavement queens having blow outs with the inside coil bags.Mike has more options since his 96 is a leaf spring suspension.

I put these in the front inside the coils. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-80765/overview/year/1997/make/dodge/model/ram-2500 Completely worthless. All they seem to do is firm the ride up and prevent the stupid bouncing that happens when you go off the 6" drop offs that missouri's fine road construction crews leave behind. I run them at max pressure, anything less and I doubt they would do a thing. IMO, if you can pull off a regular air bag, not that in-coil style, you would be muchhhhhh better off. Plus getting them in the coil works about as good as uh, I cant say anything without it being a dirty joke.

Plus getting them in the coil works about as good as uh, I cant say anything without it being a dirty joke.

lol...................like an old timer once told me about his love life "before the invent of those pills they got now mind you". "It's kind of like trying to stuff a marshmallow into a piggy bank" :lmao2:
  • Like 1

• Staff

I have been using Firestone Ride Rites on my rigs since 07, and dad on his since 97, a total of 4 sets that are all still in use. Aside from 1 schrader valve failure on the oldest set they have been flawless. I personally have had mine at -23F, and dad lived in MT for 2 winters with 3 of the sets seeing below 15F regularly. I have never heard the 15 F rating before, where did you find it?All of our rigs see lots of rough roads, loaded and unloaded, but none have coil springs.

The 15*F reference came directly from the Firestone site ride rite section specs, if they were not mounted inside the coils I would not be as concerned.The Good Year bags are good for----from TLC site "The official temperature range of the air springs from Goodyear is -67F to 156F (-55C to 70C). In cold weather, we suggest using nitrogen instead of plain air to fill the air springs. "

It is for the in coil polyurithane bags only,the rubber bags which what you most likely have are good for like -40. I read it in another Dodge forum yesterday as well as on a dealer site but can't find either at the moment.:banghead: OK found the forum reference to it but can't find the Firestone sales site I read it on, I looked at a hundred sites the other day while I was searching, I'm not crazy I know I read it in a couple of places. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108032&highlight=firestone+4190&page=2 Like I said earlier though don't mistake rubber bags good to -40 Firestone bags to -67* for good yearbags to the polyurethanebags only good to 15* that the FS4190 kit comes with. Found it a firestone pdf file but I was wrong they are good to 5* not the 15 I was saying. https://www.google.com/search?q=firestone+polyurithane+air+bag+temp+rating&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7MXGB_enUS564#q=firestone+coil+rite+polyurethane+air+bag+temp+rating&rls=com.microsoft:en-US%3AIE-Address http://www.firestoneip.com/site-resources/ride-rite/pdf/2011_Catalog.pdf Bottom of page 5 of the above PDF * Coil-Rite Air Helper Springs are designed to work in temperatures between 180˚F (82˚C) and 5˚F (-15˚C). I knew I read it and I wasn't going nuts, and you thought I was full of **it again didn't you?.....................:lol2:

• Staff

Isn't the in coil, coil-rite, all that Firestone offers for your truck? It is those specifically that state -40°F. I cannot find anything on my rubber bags.

From the 2013 Application Guide

Firestone Coil-Rite air helper springs are made of durable, elastic

polyurethane, providing years of comfort and stability to your

vehicle. The air springs will support 500-1000 lbs. per set (not to

exceed vehicle's GVWR). Coil-Rite Air Helper Springs are designed

to work in temperatures between 180 ̊F (82 ̊C) and -40 ̊F (-40 ̊C).