• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle Kit Is Here

funny, I've  seen you mention  this  'high idle'  ever since  I've been a member here...  but  finally read  this thread and others  about it!   I've been under the assumption  for over 30 yrs.   that 'high idle' is  and  has been  the  industries standard  for  what   the  diesel engine   can  turn: HIGH  means fast  as  governor  allows, and IDLE  means   "no load'.   At least   that is  what  my  service manuals  for  my  old  Cummins  and  Perkins calls it. :shrug:

anyhoo, what ever name its called, I suppose there is  a place  for this  engine management tool.

• Owner

funny, I've  seen you mention  this  'high idle'  ever since  I've been a member here...  but  finally read  this thread and others  about it!   I've been under the assumption  for over 30 yrs.   that 'high idle' is  and  has been  the  industries standard  for  what   the  diesel engine   can  turn: HIGH  means fast  as  governor  allows, and IDLE  means   "no load'.   At least   that is  what  my  service manuals  for  my  old  Cummins  and  Perkins calls it. :shrug:

anyhoo, what ever name its called, I suppose there is  a place  for this  engine management tool.

Yeah... I know even Wild and Free will say the very same thing.

Yes there is I wish I had time enough to install mine and show it off but I'm losing time today working on the DSL and getting it fixed today.

• Staff

I tried for a long time to get people to use the proper terminology, it was a losing battle.

It's really a fast idle kit....

yeah I just kinda give up some days too.

Same goes for calling all pickups a "Truck".

No duals or tandem axles not a truck!

Even a Caravan is classified as a truck by Chrysler.......

• Owner

Well gang its installed on my truck.

As for installing you need to carefully pull your dash bezel from the dash and remove it. Then taking 3 screws out holding the cubby pocket in place and remove. Also remove the 4 screws holding the HVAC controls. This will give you room to routing the wires across the dash.

Posted Image

Now mount the face to the cubby and using the supplied screws and nylon spacers.

Posted Image

Continue to route the wires over to the bulk head.

Posted Image

Then this part is bit tricky and requires patience carefully route the plug through the rubber boot of the bulkhead connector. The bulkhead connector inside can be released from it mount and might give you a few more inches of work room for a single hand.

Posted Image

Now route the connector to the proper placements. Black ECT to the front of the engine and the Grey IAT connectors to the rear of the engine. Now unplug both ECT and IAT and plug in the fooler cables.

ECT
Posted Image

IAT
Posted Image

Then reassemble your Dash.
Posted Image

The only thing I didn't hook up yet was the LED power.

• Owner

Dusty mountain roads then before winter got here I parked the truck and its been sitting in the shop for 2 months just about. Sad aprt is this winter I might not have to worry about warming up the diesel because price of gasoline is so low.

But the 3 cylinder "fast idle" (there are you happy? LOL) will only function with the truck sitting still if the truck moves at all even 1 MPH the whole thing is cancelled instantly. So the whole idea of rolling down the hill isn't going to happen.

• Staff

I got to thinking this morning that this would also sell for 3rd gens, mainly 2003 trucks and 2010+ manual transmission trucks. No programming needed, just tell the ECM the coolant is below 180, and that it's below freezing out and it will work. It will take 2 minutes, but better than nothing for the warmer months. Just a thought.

Guessyou need to add one more element to that "fooler" now lol.....

Not only that but if the engine is warm the exhaust brake won't function when any fuel is being injected, you don't want it to.

Received mine Saturday, installed it today.  Works just like it is suppose to.  Took me 2 hrs.  Running the plugs was my biggest challenge as I have a number of other wires there.  I had to ream out the mounting holes on the face plate to make it line up and cut off two alignment tabs on the dash that stuck out.  Otherwise it was a very east install. 

Edit: I see why the tubing was in the kit now, I was wondering now I know.

Edited by ABennin

Abennin, I am the person who produced these units. I personally am missing 1/2 of my dashboard & had no way to gauge the legnth of the spacers. How long were yours for a final right fit? I am guessing around 1/2-9/16". I put 3" of the tubing in there to cover any screwups. I am glad you are happy with the unit.

There is a small batch with ECT issues. If anyone has a code thrown, please message me & I will replace your unit as fast as the post office moves. I had a failing soldering iron. 3 have surfaced & I am expectong 2 more from that session.

Thank you all for your patience,

Ed

• Like 1

• Owner

Ok i couldnt take it. Gonna install it today while the turkey is frying. One question, does the led wire go do constant 12 volts or keyed?

Suggested to constant +12V power to alert you that fooler is on and should be switched off. Or you can have it on the key so it can be left in a fooled position without the light always burning. Or... Completely ignore this wire and not hook it up and no light will ever come on. Your choice. But let me tell you that if you opt for constant 12V it will take many many weeks to wipe out a pair of batteries. I leave my cellphone charger in the truck and its got a bright blue LED that glows anytime the charger is plugged in and no issues with that. So I doubt there is any issues with high idle tiny LED.