• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 Stroke Diesel!

hex0rz

The 2 stroke diesel or the twin shifters?

The engine...

We have two and four strokes locomotives. The 4 strokes hold up way better, burn cleaner, and are quieter.

Why do they hold better?

Also, would'nt a 2-stroke perform better though?

We have to replace pistons and cylinders less. If you think about it, the 2 strokes are firing more often so thats means its wearing faster. I persoally like working on the 4 strokes also. Much cleaner. Both make 4500hp. Some guys like pulling with the 2 strokes and other like the 4s.

Edited by mopartechnician

We have two and four strokes locomotives. The 4 strokes hold up way better, burn cleaner, and are quieter.

Are those some old engines? I thought the bigger displacement 2 cycle engines were phased out a long time ago? I haven't had alot of experience with them but the few I've been around ran good when they ran but were high maintenance engines. And if you were going to be around them all day, you better have some ear plugs handy!

There is a truck race group that tours around the country and I know in all 10 trucks they run detroit model 92 2 strokes. They sound pretty crazy going around the track. They also use air starters and that sounds pretty mean too. I am not sure why they use 2 strokes for racing but it must be for the rpms.

I have worked on many 2 stroke detroits from the 53 to the 149 series and they are high maintenance although simple they are not a powerhouse for their size and are extremely noisy and like 2 stroke gassers are not efficient. Guys like to hot rod them because they accelerate very quickly and can be built up for power but they do not hold up very long.

They convert fuel to noise and the noise is what propels them.

• Haha 1

The first thig wrong with that type of two cycle is it uses a mechanical blower (parasitic loss) to pressurize the block for the intake. That causes oil to be pushed out in places you couldn't even imagine. About all you need to do is change the oil filter for an 'oil' change! When they were used in big trucks (v configuration) we called them "Double Breasted Yamahas". They remind me of some people I used to work with. They make a lot of noise but don't do much.

:lmao: Noise propels them that's good.  I had a some interesting conversations with my uncle who drove truck for almost 40 years about engines.  He did not like the 2 stroke Detroits at all.  Fuel hogs, oil leaks and high maintance.  Once he became an owner/operator all the trucks he owned had Cummins.   There are still a good number of 2 strokes in farm trucks around here.  You can hear them coming from over a mile away and most have mufflers.  I see some drivers where big hearing protection ear muffs.  The little foam ones you wedge in your ear are not good enough.

Interesting to see a conversion of that type. But not exactly something I would consider using for a power plant though.

Its actually an easy conversion especially since chevy ran this configuration in the 70's/early 80's C50/60 trucks, a simple swap from a chevy truck to same vintage pickup, it bolts right in.

Ether is a must with these cold blooded low compression junkers too, anything under 70 is an ether can start, If you had one that started down to 40 without ether you had a good one or one that was just overhauled.

The two times in my life I had to go wipe and change my underware were while working on the older style detroits, the injectors are manually controlled and the fuel rack is part of the injector with a remote governor that controls the injector linkage rod, the older ones had a solid control and detroit injectors were known to lock up and this creates a runaway situation as you can't move the shutdown linkage to shut off the fuel to the other injectors so one had to make sure the emergency air shut down flap was free at the blower to choke the air to it. The newer ones had breakaway injector arms on the main control rods so that if one injector stuck open the rest could still be shut down as the arm to the stuck injector would break away and the rest would be in no fuel shutdown and eventually drag it down until it killed itself. 

Nothing more frightening than standing over the top of an engine when it gets started and goes to WOT instantly and keeps climbing as the governor can't control it at that point. :ahhh:

tHE OTHER THING THAT HAPPENED WAS THE BLOWER SEALS WOULD GO OUT USUALLY WHEN A BEARING WAS GETTING LOOSE and the engine would run away on engine oil, another reason to make sure the emergency air shut down functioned, it was amazing as to how many were never checked and when time came for them they were rusted open and blew up many hundreds of these engines.

Edited by Wild and Free

• 1 month later...

Just ran by this thread and found it interesting that no one talked about his tranny(s).  I'm not sure why he was using his secondary tranny so often in the video other than to maybe just so that its there.  Reminds me of using the ol' brownies.....