• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Extreme Low Fp In 0 Degrees

Hey guys, its about 0 degrees here this morning, feels like -24. I went out to the truck this morning, actually started up very well. But there was a unusual humming coming from around the fuel pump under the hood and the FP on my Edge was stuck at 3psi, then 4, 5, and seemed to stick 6-7psi. Normally I have about 14-15. I cut it off because I didn't NEED to leave, and I just replaced the VP44 last spring and do not want to do it again. I am just wondering for later today and the future, is this normal? If I had left it warm up would it get normal or would I end up causing damage?

Most of the time the fuel that is sitting in the fuel filter is gelled. It will take a good rise in temp to thaw it out in any amount of time. I would dump at quart of 911 in the tank for the time being and maybe splash some into the fuel filter housing. I know the 911 isnt the best product to use but it seems to work the quickest.

If you can get the fuel heated back up and ungelled, your filters should be fine. That is just usually the first place the fuel will gel because its a small amount of liquid in a metal can hanging out in the wind. Get some good antigel in the tank or top off with #1 and you should be fine.

• Staff

Your best bet would be to find 5 gals of #1 and dump that in, if you cannot find #1 then dose the fuel with diesel 911 or equivalent. Pour it in the tank, let it sit for a few min then bump the starter and let the fuel pump run until it stops and repeat until you get good pressure.

How old is your AD? If it's fairly new you are probably alright, but if it's more than a few years old be sure to check what filters you have.. AD didn't supply them with filtration better than stock, was actually worse in some aspects.

If the fuel station is winterizing their fuel properly you shouldn't need to add anything. I generally dose my fuel early in the cold weather as stations are catching up then by December I stop, unless I am going into the back country or a colder climate (most stations winterize for the local conditions).

I kept my stock filter and fuel heater for this exact reason because even slightly warmed fuel is better the extremely cold gelled fuel.

The first filter inline is the one that will gel, a fuel heater down the line doesn't do any good (ask me how I know).

A fuel heater is a great thing to have, but it needs to be on the first filter to keep you from gelling otherwise it just provided the IP with warmer fuel.

I think I should be good then. The AirDog isn't even a year old yet. Maybe 5000 miles on it. I will have to take the Camaro out and get some fuel treatment then. I'm not sure how well the fuel is treated here. Below freezing temps are not normal here so I'm sure the stations didn't compensate enough either. I always use the same Turkey Hill to fill up so I suppose I could find out if I wanted to... I don't mind keeping a treatment in the fuel all winter long though just to play it safe since the weather here is pretty inconsistent. Today is feeling like below zero, but this weekend is supposed to shoot up to the low 50's.

Here in iowa we had some cold temps, -20 25 or so windchill about -40. I didn't even bother to start my truck. See a few semis and other diesel truck on the side of the road. Heard a few of them run, sounded like they were missing and running on few cilynders. Had a generator at work was supposed to exisize today and only ran for about 10 seconds and fail, I took fuel filters off put them in heated garage for fe hours and then dumped 8 qts of 911 in tank and added a little in each fuel filter before putting them back. Also I put some hand wormers on filters warped them in paper towels and put a plastic bag over them, because generator fan blowers cold air directly on filters. Fired it up after few cranks started up and ran fine, let it run for a half hour before shutting off. It's 2009 cummins 6.7. Talked with the guy that keeps them filed up and he said they always put blended fuel in generators because you never know how ng they sit, he will be there tomorrow to top the tank of with #1 it has 3/4 of tank now and it's 1000 gal tank.

2 cents.

Just noticed my iPad deletes some letters from my sentences.

Edited by Dieselfuture

I went to Pep Boys, Kmart and Walmart and only could come up with the arctic Dieselkleen formula. I put a little extra in than what your're supposed to. Bumped the starter about 5 times, then started it for about 5 seconds just to see what the pressure was like... 0 PSI... now I'm worried. I sincerely hope I did not damage my almost brand new VP today in the short minute or so it ran. I JUST replaced that along with the majority of my fuel system not even a year ago. Honestly, I do not think I will fork over the money again. If it gets messed up from this I may just have to shut the truck for awhile and store it away. Fingers crossed...I think I might wait til friday or saturday to even start it again since it will be around 40 and 50 degrees.

Now that I think of it, I installed a T fitting in the fuel line and one of those adjustable valves to stop the hammer affect on my Edge sensor... maybe the fuel is still too thick to get an accurate reading... because the truck was actually running very smooth when I started it. But like I said, the fuel pump was humming like crazy earlier... I could hear it over the motor... at least I believe it was the pump, don't know what else would hum like that.

I'm looking into winter fronts right now actually. I have a stainless steel chimney cap I may cut up and screw on there, unless I find a decent cheap one to purchase. I'll head out and plug it in right now...

Take some cardboard and make templates with it and cut the cardboard to the pattern of the holes in the grill. Trace those out on some material you want and cut it. Drill holes in them and mount them to the grill! VOILA! ...a winterfront! I used diamond plate for mine, I think they are sweeeeet!

• Owner

Yes it might be true that the second fuel filter with heater doesn't do much good but as long as the fuel return to the take is above gel point it will aid in preventing gelling from occurring.

The winter front idea will keep a warm pocket of air in the front of the truck. I've made mine from a old aluminum road sign. works good on both the 96 Gasser or the 02 Diesel.