• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Job!

dennhop

Well, after almost a month of pounding the pavement, keyboard, and my head on the desk, I landed a new job. I start work on Monday at Poindexter Excavating as their shop small engine mechanic. Extremely happy to have the job, and excited about the fact that I get to work with my hands again. The only kicker was another job that I interviewed with and liked, called me back a few hours after I'd accepted Poindexter offer...I guess this whole civilian job thing I could have taken the other offer, but I told them that considering a good friend of mine had gotten me into Poindexter on his reference, and I'd already committed to them, that I couldn't back out now.

Either way, I've got a job now, I get to wear jeans and a t shirt (and a beanie and jacket right now too!) to work, lol. After 14 years in the Marines, it'll be nice to actually be comfortable in my work clothes for once, lol!

:thumb1:

Its hard out there! I've been going since the end of August looking for work and finally landed a new job in manufacturing! Right at the last moment, too! No unemployment left over!

Just did 60 hours and its gonna stay that way until end of Feb!

Hope you enjoy working back in the civvy life!

Guess I live in an area and state where you can almost basically pick the job you want, there are that many openings.  Here in ND we are well under 3% unemployment and a lot of that stems from the 4-5 reservations we have, and there are tens of thousands of job openings here that companies can't fill. The energy industry boom has driven up wages across the state fairly quickly. As a mechanic or a skilled trade of any sort $20+ is a starting wage now around here. If you work within the energy industry it is around $30+ starting wages up to over $40 and hour already.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

Guess I live in an area and state where you can almost basically pick the job you want, there are that many openings.  Here in ND we are well under 3% unemployment and a lot of that stems from the 4-5 reservations we have, and there are tens of thousands of job openings here that companies can't fill. The energy industry boom has driven up wages across the state fairly quickly. As a mechanic or a skilled trade of any sort $20+ is a starting wage now around here. If you work within the energy industry it is around $30+ starting wages up to over $40 and hour already.

This is the first thing we noticed when we moved out here. In WA, it is almost impossible to find any kind of job. It was especially difficult for anyone under 18 years old. We got here and every single business had a now hiring sign in the window. I jumped in to a store manager's position for a local auto parts store at age 20!!!

• Like 1

I've heard a lot about ND and their hiring opportunities....If it wasn't for the fact that we have family and friends here I might have been willing to move there. Heard a lot about it and I like the idea of being further west and mor e out of the cities if I could, but I like this area.

At the mine I work at we have hired several 50ish Year old employees the last few years. If you are a candidate for hire after the interview process you are offered a position contingent on passing the pre-employment physical and drug test you are on board for 6 months of probation and then permanent.

At the mine I work at we have hired several 50ish Year old employees the last few years. If you are a candidate for hire after the interview process you are offered a position contingent on passing the pre-employment physical and drug test you are on board for 6 months of probation and then permanent.

Would a 50 year old……….former horseshoer…………be able to get employment in NoDak, in the fields??

Would a 50 year old……….former horseshoer…………be able to get employment in NoDak, in the fields??

You probably could! Oh, I do believe the term is Farrier not horseshoer.......