• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck Pulls Right

So I've been waiting to do a few things to the truck before I brought this up.  I have done some searches and found some things on some other diesel sites and it seems common to the 2nd gen 4x4 trucks.  My truck pulls to the right fairly consistently.  I noticed it the first day , the outside right front tire is showing scrub marks and wear.  I got an alignment this week at a pretty good local shop- they said it was pretty close, only a toe adjustment.  Today , I swapped front tires side to side, replaced the original steering stabilizer and the two front shocks.  It now rides smoother and isn't so fast to wander, but still pulls right.  Next is going to be swapping out the front calipers- but changing parts on this truck isn't exactly cheap. 

Anyone else dealt with this?

Looks like another hundred bucks. At least the fuel economy of this pig is offsetting these initital repairs. I'm getting a little super duty homesick, but i know that these first repairs are due to a lazy or cheap PO

Edited by AGPTurbo

If it still pulls to the right something is wrong. The problem with the specs on these trucks is that they are so broad that the truck may be 'within specs' but still not drive right. This site has specs that seem to work well for your truck: http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/00_steer_specs.html Be sure to read the discussion below the specs as it tells you why to set it where he says.

I prefer eliminating the issue by replacing it with a 3rd gen track bar conversion rather than replacing the end link with one that needs to be adjusted and can wear out just like the factory one if not kept up on. I have a friend that did lukes links and ruined a couple of them by not keeping up on the adjustments.

I've not seen the instructions for Luke's link. Do you actually have to deform the pumpkin cover to get adequate clearance for the track bar? Sounds prehistoric.

I believe it says you might have to, but mine and my dad's fit just fine without "deforming" the pumpkin cover.

I prefer eliminating the issue by replacing it with a 3rd gen track bar conversion rather than replacing the end link with one that needs to be adjusted and can wear out just like the factory one if not kept up on. I have a friend that did lukes links and ruined a couple of them by not keeping up on the adjustments.

3rd gen track bars wear out too. My brother's 05 had to have new bushings put in it.  :smart: As with anything you have to keep up on maintenance. I just check it and grease it at every oil change!

I believe it says you might have to, but mine and my dad's fit just fine without "deforming" the pumpkin cover.

3rd gen track bars wear out too. My brother's 05 had to have new bushings put in it. :smart: As with anything you have to keep up on maintenance. I just check it and grease it at every oil change!

By "it" you're referring to the Luke's link mod? Do you have to remove the trac bar when you remove the pumpkin cover for fluid change of the front axle? Edited by joecool911

By "it" you're referring to the Luke's link mod? Do you have to remove the trac bar when you remove the pumpkin cover for fluid change of the front axle?

I'm not sure. I haven't changed my fluid since I put the luke's link on. You could call the company and ask though.

I second the road crown as part of pulling to the right. Even after rebuilding the front end and an alignment mine still pulled slightly right except on flat stretches of roadway, where it tracked very straight. The crown of the road is causing a pulling sensation. 

The crown of the road is causing nothing.  The engineering of the steering and suspension geometry is the cause.  This is the 14th vehicle I have owned and besides the one with a lift kit, has the worst road manners of them all. I towed my 5th wheel around 3K miles last summer on an east coast adventure with my Ford.  I could have fallen asleep at the wheel towing the 9,000 lb beast and looked less suspicious  :cheers:than this Dodge. I will check the track bar and report.  

Thanks for the replies!

AP

After my front end rebuild and alignment, my truck tracked very good. It still had would track a little to the left or right depending on the road crown and straight if the road was almost flat. I have the Moog track bar on mine and after about 60k miles it is showing signs of wear and the tracking is off a little more. The steering design is rough on them. Definitely not the best steering system by any means. 

• Like 1

After my front end rebuild and alignment, my truck tracked very good. It still had would track a little to the left or right depending on the road crown and straight if the road was almost flat. I have the Moog track bar on mine and after about 60k miles it is showing signs of wear and the tracking is off a little more. The steering design is rough on them. Definitely not the best steering system by any means. 

If'n you want to check it out…………………when possible…………………drive in the other lane, where the "crown" pitches the other way!!!