• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well, the door "sill" beam that runs across the side of the cab is a 2 x 4 x 3/16 piece of tubular steel, and the rear cross tie is 2 x 2 x 1/4 tubular steel.  The cab mounts are welded thoroughly to these members....if I get broadsided I think I'll be in pretty good shape except for NO crumple zones....PLUS I plan on schedule 40 pipes to be bent and made as the running board main frame.

not fer sale!   LOL.  But I hope to do some serious road tripping before the morons make fuel unavailable and a loop thru the PNW on the way to my buddies in CA is on the list.

• Like 1

• Staff
11 hours ago, PilotHouse2500 said:

I HOPE to have the front of the rear door put on tonight so it will be more obvious.   Sealing these might be....interesting....

Seeing your work I know you will plan it out well and be careful to think it thru.

• Staff

You are showing how the doors are going to fit together when the green section, you are holding, gets welded to the rear door, right?

Don't want to tell you how but, is there a way to rid yourself of the sharp tip the rear door carries? You know, leave the curve in the glass on the front door but, add to the top and make both doors square at the top thereby letting the sharp tip go away.? 

After the vaccine Dripley has a long thin neck now he can look in the cracks for you. Oh grap! I said it :lol3:

Edited by JAG1

Yah it was just being held in place with my left hand, eventually will be part of the read door.  The pointy bit is currently WAY too pointy.  The whole things needs to be gapped properly, but as proof of concept it'll work...I'll likely change my mind 4 times before I really settle.  I'm still leaning towards a pointy type bit but blunt it a bit.  Know that that is about 6'8" in the air....so not as worried about spearing myself on it as much as it getting damaged thru an "oops" moment.  Other thought is to possibly make a small section live on the top sill and fill in a inch or so down between the 2 doors (making more 90 degree type joints), but it adds a few more body lines and gaps I'm trying to avoid (too busy).

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I curious how your going to latch and deal with that pointed top of the rear quad door.

JMHO, I think both doors need to be built up to have square corners so they marry at the top. Perhaps have the front door overlap in such a way that driving rain can't get in. I think this may be the most challenging part of this project and part of the reason I mentioned a solid rear door... not only keeping the cab stronger but to help eliminate some design/ fabrication problems. again.... JMHO. 

Top infill panel all in, just need to finish it with a piece of 1/8" weld rod on the top edge.  I know several here have said make the seam vertical, but that just does not go with the styling of the cab, so pointy bit it will be.....trust me.

20210321_155650.jpg

20210321_155701.jpg

Edited by PilotHouse2500
  • Like 2