• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What to look for in 1st Gen?

• Staff

A couple thoughts;

Try to stay away from the auto trans, but here's what I'd be looking for;

extended cab

as much original as possible

stay under 150 k miles

if it's been taken care of

I think the 4wd front ends don't wear out like 2wd trucks.

Watch out for hacked electrical work under the dash or hood.

If you find one about 150 k miles test the clutch for slippage.

Try to stay with a 92 or 93

Bring a flashlite and look close at the fuel lines, look for leaks everywhere.

Pull air intake tube and check for bearing wear on the turbo fins and check how smooth it turns. No rubbing on sides when you pull it in/out, up/down.

Make sure she fires up right now and runs smooth within first few seconds.

• Thanks 1

• 6 years later...

Hey @JAG1, how much blow by is normal coming from the oil filler? Looked at a 93 today with only 126k miles, but he had the truck running when I got there, and it didn't have enough blow by to blow the cap off, but still noticable. Had a leak on the passenger side from the front somewhere, maybe the return line from the turbo, transfer case was leaking decently as well...

I will say, the rust was very minimal, mainly just surface, paint was peeling, but wasn't bad for a almost 30 year old truck

• Like 1

• Owner

The only time I've seen blow by is guys running large shower head nozzles and burn a piston a bit and then the blow by starts. For stock engines typically they are way under fueled to do much harm at all. Don't get me wrong excessive heavy loads and heavy throttle you can still do damage to a stock 1st Gen. 

The biggest thing is finding out if the KDP is handled? Gear case cracked or leaking?

Fuel heater been removed or is is leaking?

Lift pump in good condition? Typically about 4 PSI to 6 PSI fuel pressure.

Valves been adjusted?

When was the injectors and the injection pump possibly rebuilt if at all? Injectors are typically wore out about 100k to 150k miles. Injection pumps get some wear in internals not as bad as the VP44 but still P-pump do wear some. 

Timing? Did it slip? Common for all 12V p-pump engines the gear is without a key so its possible to slip timing. 

Rest is taking the time to look at all fluids and levels look for clues. Crawl under the truck and look up. I typically go truck shopping with overalls. Spend more time up-side-down under the truck there is more clues. The top side is typically power washed to hide leaks and other issues. 

I could go on for every things to look at... I would most likely buy it after a quick inspect then tear into things even deep and fix it all up solid. 

Ya, I asked him about the kdp, he said no, wasn't done, previous original owner didn't do anything to the truck unless recalled, but then said he was a diesel mechanic by trade? I asked about the leak on the passenger side near the oil return line for turbo/near gear case, and he was greatly annoyed that I even asked him to look at it..... again, no major rust, bench seat still mostly intact, I was just about to tell him ill buy it when he got back in the truck, put it in the shop(literally had a clean dry shop with light to look at it in, and he made me look in the rain at night, whatever)I said ill take the truck, he then said, not for sale....wow. I guess trying to be smart and give the truck a once over is wrong now, literally had cash in hand to make purchase.....

Frustrating when he was telling me someone from out of state would fly in and offer him more than double(supposedly) when we first got there. Oh well I guess, ill keep on looking

It was a 93, with the v.e. pump, not a p-pump if im correct. 

Appreciate the tips on what to look for. At least this gave me hands on experience on what to look at next time

It was embarrassing and frustrating for sure, plus 3 hours of driving. I didn't insult him either by picking the truck apart in front of him and pointing out everything single thing. The truck for the most part was decent for the year, and like I said, very minimal rust. Plus, my dad was chatting with him while my wife and I looked it over and test drove it, his change in attitude seriously came out of no where. People really have no respect for others these days, but it is what it is.

It was cool driving it, haven't test drove one before, different than the 01 for sure. Whats the best way to test for slippage in the clutch? It engaged super close to the top of pedal release.

• Staff

I bought one in 96 just like that one with 76,000 miles for $13,500. Drove it daily for almost 22 years. Except mine didn't have the extended cab. Thanks Dave 110 for posting that up..... brought back memories.

• Staff
14 hours ago, dave110 said:

If they take that erroneous zero off the price tag I’d buy it sight unseen.  

I’d love a clean 93 extra cab manual, especially in that paint scheme. I’ve never cared much for the P pump, but really like a VE

Still a bit pissed my brother traded his in 06. I’d have bought it for 150% of what he traded it for but he only told me about it after the deal was made. Saw that truck a couple years ago, beat to crap...what a waste. 

• Staff

I had a 92 for 21.5 years. I got tired of lots of things on it like the steering bracket metal fatigue. Not having a cup holder. Tired of the interior and the louder than tolerable constant cab noise. I'll keep my 2001 and my 2002 that have nicer appointments and quieter cab. They are far nicer by comparison even though I don't like not having manual locking hubs. The VP44 is okay too. Easier to change than the VE  injection pump.