• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Elk hunting starts Saturday!

joecool911

Ok, just to satisfy the pic guys...

34BF0057-1B85-4669-AF53-36DAADF761E5.jpg

01E468C8-601D-4CCF-A10A-C22E57BCE1FF.jpg

That don't look like the vehicle in your "signature"!!!

If'n you're going for a "heart/lung" shot.............be sure to aim more toward the head of the animal than you think necessary.  The bulk of elk heart/lung area is hidden nicely behind the bulk of the shoulder!!!

Bow hunting..................a slightly quartering away shot is the ideal!!!!

Edited by dorkweed

One of my clients gave me one last year :thumb1:  However they guy he paid to skin and process the doe did a crappy job :doh: Heck I could have skinned it better with a butter knife!!  On the bright side my dogs got about 10# of meat off the hide :thumb1: Took a while to flesh it and get it right...  I can't seem to find the folder where I took the last pictures before I rolled it up to finish at a later date... All I have to do is soften the hide now and it will most likely be a bed throw in the RV :cool: post-1978-0-23555400-1409369257_thumb.jppost-1978-0-77975900-1409369274_thumb.jppost-1978-0-29187700-1409369294_thumb.jppost-1978-0-17891800-1409369308_thumb.jppost-1978-0-83039400-1409369321_thumb.jppost-1978-0-95706900-1409369339_thumb.jppost-1978-0-83544000-1409369359_thumb.jppost-1978-0-17750600-1409369378_thumb.jp

I'll be waiting on the new hide Joe  :thumb1:

I've got a bear and elk hide still to do yet. Been debating what to do with the elk,turn it all into leather or keep it hair on and make a blanket.the bear hide will definitely be kept with hair on.I've done a couple Deer hides and they turn out good. Just wish I turned them into leather instead!

Also, buy an ulu knife. Stretch the hide and let it get dry.you can flesh it very nicely and get even all the membrane off. The more you get off,the softer the leather can become. You can also use a drill with a wire wheel of your careful.

Make sure to lock the hair first before you do anything if you want a hair on tan.

Edited by hex0rz
  • Like 1

I've got a few hair-off elk hides hiding in various closets around the house, not sure what to do with them yet...

Our season doesn't start until next month.. too friggin hot for me right now anyhow.

Holsters, sheaths, bootlaces, gloves, hats, sky is the limit! I want to make some good moccasins out of my leather. Matter of fact, sell your leather to me!

I've got a few hair-off elk hides hiding in various closets around the house, not sure what to do with them yet...

Our season doesn't start until next month.. too friggin hot for me right now anyhow.

Send them to me :thumb1:  I will make awesome drums with them!!!

Hex what you charge for a pair of moccasins? Leather sole or ?? I like the classic Indian style. Pm me.

I have yet to make some. But that's a plan of mine this winter when things are slow.

I have a couple approaches to making them. May try and find a pattern or reverse engineer some I already own... Have an old pair of sheepskin moccasins that are 4 years old and they are still holding together! Cant say that about shoes, these days! :thumb1:

I just recently picked up a coon after work on the way home on night and skinned it out. I think this one is big enough. This time I can try my hand at making a coon hat. I had one that I was trying to make but ran short of hide as it was too small. May try and fix it and make a small one for one of my nephews.

Edited by hex0rz

I have some "mountain man" ones that were made for my foot 20 or so years ago. They are starting to show their age. Granted I don't use them but a few times a year. Amazingly comfortable though.

These are elk, cow and deer hide.

Someone offered to make some new soles from horse once, I was to broke at the time to be able to.