• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looks like I have may have lost a turbocharger!

Well everyone, was hoping that this was not the case but...

Two mornings in a row I got in the truck and started driving. Truck drove fine to about 30 mph then stopped accellerating. Did not matter what I did with the throttle and I had zero boost. I turned around and started to head home then it picked back up and drove fine. Next morning no issues. Following morning it did like above but after driving a bit longer the boost came on fine and truck drove ok...

Still this is not a good thing and finally this morning pulled the intake hose off of the turbo inlet. No real noticeable movement in the turbine up nor down but when I tried to turn it it sure seemed stiffer than normal and did not spin around as easily as I seem to remember. Am wondering if its started to coke up? 

Truck has about 160,000 miles on it and this could very well be the original turbocharger. Have attached a photo of the turbo as I am not even sure if its the original model or an upgraded version. Anyone ever overhauled these? I have done them on aircraft and its no big deal but have never done this model. 

Next question is, if I do need to replace this unit, is there any sort of upgrade that I should look at? The truck is just a driver, not really hot-rodded and I want good reliability more than more power. 

Thx,

Joe

Some trucks came with HY and some HX. The HX is an upgrade. Look at the ID plate and see which one it is. You'll need to know anyway I'd you rebuild. Aside from no longer rotating I have a hard time seeing what would cause a turbo to quit working without catastrophic failure. Sure you don't have a breach in the intercool or a bad elbow? Pressure test might be in order. Take off the air inlet hose and see if the turbo is turning while running.

Edited by joecool911

It is an HX35 model, as you have the 6 speed. Download the rebuild manual from Holset. PLEASE check runout on the shaft & diameter to see if it truly is rebuildable. Get a GENUINE Holset kit.

After reading the manual, YOU need to decide if you are capable, or have the proper tools & measuring equipment.

If you go for it & are capable, they are super simple to rebuild. I have done dozens of marine Holsets (Same kit & instrictions).

One trick is to soak it a couple days in trans fluid (Used is fine) to break up the carbon in the exhaust housing. It will make disassembly mucheasier.

Ed

One tip here:

when you go to  break loose the  bolts  holding the exhaust housing  to the  center section..   you'll  probably  'feel' it  get  tight again  as  soon as  it  breaks loose..   It'll be the rust  inside  balling up in the threads.

Don't  keep going,  Start  flooding it with   penetrating oil and  'excercise'  the  bolt.  Back and  forth..  a little more each time.      I spent  10 minutes  on one bolt  just a few days ago...  but  I WON!   Patience is   a  virtue, grasshopper!

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^ This!!

I was also thinking that there might be a connection problem with the MAP sensor. I left mine unplugged one time and it would get up to about 30 mph and thats it. Wouldnt build any boost. I thought it was a turbo/boost issue but it wasnt. The computer didnt see any boost and wouldnt give any fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds a bit more like a dead pedal than a turbo issue. If the truck would not accelerate past 30, it's not because of no boost, it's because of no fuel. You can drive a diesel soft enough to get to highway speed without ever seeing more than 5 psi of boost pressure. Check for codes first before pulling a turbo apart. 

• Owner

There is a rare thing that occurs where the AC noise level wipe out the ECM and creates what known as "Limited pedal". This is where the ECM seem to be governed out to like a set speed no matter what you do you can throttle more nor build any kind of boost. I would check AC noise level for the sake of knowing.

Sorry for the delay on this folks, have been out of town and simply too busy with work to fuss with truck stuff. As well things have gotten worse and it appears that I am losing the 3rd VP44 in 4 years! 

Please see this thread: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/9024-looks-like-i-may-have-lost-another-vp-44-looking-for-options-and-ideas/