• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cracked dash

Writeup:

1. find old RV from the early 70s.

2. tear out old green, yellow & burnt orange carpet.

3. slather old dash with glue.

4. apply carpet & trim.....

Ed

Ah..... the monkey fur dash , reminds me of my youth , wait do I still remember back that far ? 

Some days yes, as to the Dashcap I learn to the LMC replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If this helps, I fixed my dash with some plastic glue where broke, then sand down entire underside of dash with like 60 grit, used fiberglass hair like green resin on first layer and then put another 3 of clear liquidy stuff with mash material. It was a bit messy but didn't take to long, put extra hardener and only takes 20 or so minutes to set up. I basically field it to top of ribs on inside and some over. Been about a year now holding up good from what I can tell. You can still see fine lines but they're all as one. I might have $50 in it, and have left over fiberglass. To take dash out is easy ones you figure it out. Few screws from bottom in middle are hidden, only put one of them back in for future, and if you take it out keep vent tubing bolted to dash cover instead of trying to find all screws that you can't see that hold it to cover. I actually left all vent work on dash when did fiberglass that way it kept it's curved shape and some pieces together. One problem I had was smell from resin that took a good mount to come out. Burns your eyes. Have fun.

Just figured out how to post pictures, so here are few. Not sure how long it's going to last but sofa so good.

post-1102-0-30240700-1422214629_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-85369600-1422214642_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-60175500-1422214663_thumb.jp

Edited by Dieselfuture

I agree Mike ,My dash had so many cracks ,it broke in small pieces but I live in Arizona and the sun destroys plastic here. Like mike said it's a lot of work ,if it cracks once it will crack again. A new dash should fix it forever.

• Staff

I was thinking about laminating over the top of mine with cow hide. Letting the old ranch brands show. I will cut pieces or buy remnants and use rubber cement to overlay and overlap the pieces. I wonder.... with enough laminated leather it should hold up fine.

A tru cowboy dash    :burnout:

Edited by JAG1

I was thinking about laminating over the top of mine with cow hide. Letting the old ranch brands show. I will cut pieces or buy remnants and use rubber cement to overlay and overlap the pieces. I wonder.... with enough laminated leather it should hold up fine.

A tru cowboy dash

It should, that's a good idea. Next time I take dash out ill do something similar. Some sort of leather, so it will look good when armoralled.

• Staff

OMG... :duh::lol:

Well its a solution I guess I wonder how much it would flop around with leather?

You could leave some flaps loose so it sounds more like a real truck when the window is down....... :cookoo:  :lol:

Seriously though...... I'm thinking about doing this so it looks good. Cowhide is strong full thick leather but buy it tanned a nice color.

Them guys with the King Ranch trucks be lookin' like this :drool:  at my truck. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1