• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cracked dash

• Owner

Geez... I'm not getting break here. Well just finished my gauge project and now found my first crack in my dash on the passenger side of the truck. I was doing a bit of surfing the forum and links of dash providers seem to of gotten old so I'm going to ask all you what you used for dash replacement, caps, etc.

This is a timely question.  I just had a piece of the dash fall completely out and went down inside somewhere on my gen 2 truck. :duh:

I had a dash carpet over the cracked dash but that only covers the problem and doesn't fix anything.

I am thinking the piece that fell out (into the inner workings of the dash) has likely lodged into something that has caused my heater vent door from working properly now.

I started looking for some overlay dash that can be glued in place.

I've seen the Geno's offering and the LMC one also.  I have no experience in this kind of replacement or the product offerings of these two company's.

Certainly want some thing that will work good.

I'm am interested in finding a solution also and am looking at the overlay dash fix.

I've been looking at the molded plastic dash covers that geno's sells, I don't like the carpet covers and a full replacement dash is pricey, This would be the version for your truck: http://www.genosgarage.com/DODGE-RAM-DASH-COVER-BLACK-98-02/productinfo/DASHTOP-998/#.VDnLDx-c3Qo 

Does anyone have any pics of this dash cover installed?  Is it really obvious?  I'm a bit OCD with the looks of my truck...

Caps and covers never look good to me. A buddy of mine has done several dash top replacements with the geno's style replacement but from a different company and they look good but color doesn't match to my liking. Dodge sells 94-97 dash replacements for a couple hundred dollars, don't know why they don't offer 98-02.

• Owner

I have a coverlay dash replacement in YabbaDoo and I use to use those when I had my detailing and interior repair business. They have always held up well and have a lifetime warranty http://coverlaymfg.com/lookup.html?clearparts=true&PartTypeTree=Dash+Board+Cover  I use to dye them to match the interior :thumb1:

I want to hear more... How about installing and fitting?

I use to dye them to match the interior

How using what materials?

Don't you guys have any junk yards with these trucks  in them that have a good dash? An option for you.... I picked up  a whole truck  with leather interior  and wood grain ,and a pefrect dash for $700. I junked the truck and made enough to keep the interior and even have the driver seat re-covered. My dash I currently have is crack free ...don't seem to see alot of cracked ones around here...watch when i go to get in my truck next time :doh:

I have been lucky as well and have never had a cracked dash but my rigs sit inside most of the time except when I leave for the day and I think that makes a huge difference along with keeping it wiped clean on occasion. I see very few cracked dashes overall in my area.

• Owner
Don't you guys have any junk yards with these trucks  in them that have a good dash?

No, not locally. I would have to call down to Ontario, OR or Boise, ID for a good wrecking yard to see if I could fix such a animal. Most of the local yards have crushed everything and gone belly up and closed their doors. :cry:

But on another note I'm not really wanting to do all the work of changing dashes to have the new dash to be on its last leg too. Be my luck... (Murphy's Law)

I have been lucky as well and have never had a cracked dash but my rigs sit inside most of the time except when I leave for the day and I think that makes a huge difference along with keeping it wiped clean on occasion.

I also keep mine indoors too except when at work. But every weekend I wash it all down and clean the interior too.

But on another note I'm not really wanting to do all the work of changing dashes to have the new dash to be on its last leg too. Be my luck... (Murphy's Law)

Murphy was an optimist.......