• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How much play?

Probably not much play. You can have a bearing with zero play but have a galled race that would do exactly what you describe. The only  way to know for sure is to pull the bearings and examine them.

I just pulled the tires and axle out of the pass side and the inner bearing is sloppy with the outside one tight. Gotta find a wrench to get the nut off now.

I don't know if this has ever been apart. Red loctite and black paint still on the bolt heads.

I got it all done.  Bearings were in good shape, just needed repacked. Brake shoes were good also so while I had things apart I had the drums turned, one was slightly out of round. A propane torch did the job getting the axle bolts out. Made a drill guide bushing and drilled the broken bolts before removing the axle then with an easy out and a T handle and a small amount of patience until the propane torch did its job the broken ones turned easy also.

I haven't driven it yet but after I adjusted the pass side last week my vibration diminished some.  I hope it is all gone now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll let you know how the truck feels after I drive it to work tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still have vibration at speeds above 66 mph although it not as bad as it used to be. I had the drive line balanced as it was out of whack a bit but still shakes a bit.  Just found the lower pass side ball joint is not tight in the control arm so I have a new Moog control arm with ball joint and bushings already installed.  Thanksgiving weekend project to get that put in the truck. Going to try to get the transmission mount changed this weekend.  I've had it for a while but just haven't installed it yet. I am kinda throwing parts at it but it is things it needs and besides I now know what has been done and what shape it is in mechanically. :thumb1:

• Like 1

• Owner

During reloading with gear fluid I suggest you load the diff completely full till its running out. The find a large area and do several tight figure eights. Then check your level again. I typically load mine till the fluid runs out the hole slightly. Then checking fluids is really easy. Loosen the plug, tip, if fluid runs out its full, tighten.

I had axle rebuilt at Sadler power train and they also packed bearing with what looked like Vaseline and when I asked why it's all in oil anyway they said it was for brake in time and eventually oil will brake down grease and it will be fine. I'm guessing if a guy is just readjusting old bearing oil would be fine and if you put new bearings in maybe should go with special grease.

Edited by Dieselfuture