• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Artic Express Coming

Mopar1973Man

• Staff

I was just reading some forecasts on this, one reputable forecaster said Arctic blast will be of 'historic proportions' in that it comes so unusually early and with the way conditions are setting up. Doesn't happen very often. Last comparison to this time was back in 1955.

Edited by JAG1

Don't feel to bad, Mike. Where I live we are under a Winter Storm Warning starting tomorrow morning. The prediction for my area is 6" to 12" of snow and just south of me where all my kids live the prediction is for 12" to 18" of the white crap. There is even a Gale Warning for Lake Superior 10 miles from my house.

• Staff

Don't feel to bad, Mike. Where I live we are under a Winter Storm Warning starting tomorrow morning. The prediction for my area is 6" to 12" of snow and just south of me where all my kids live the prediction is for 12" to 18" of the white crap. There is even a Gale Warning for Lake Superior 10 miles from my house.

Living less than a hundred miles from the coast those conditions would be like the worse portion of our winters here in Oregon.

I feel for you guys because I know it will get worse as winter progresses for you out there.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Can you describe what -30 degrees is like? Do you all pee ice crystals in conditions like that? Not to be funny just really would like to know if that's true.

Also if you carry out a cup of hot coffee in a mug does the coffee mug crack and break too?

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

I'm close I can say that your breathe will freeze and turn to small crystals just breathing. The truck exhaust will have a long white vapor trail as you drive down the road. Crankcase vent will drift all the way to the rear bumper.

As for peeing I doesn't exactly freeze in mid air but it does freeze on the ground rather fast. As for the coffee mug it typically holds up well but the coffee turn cold rather fast. Basically no different that coolant in your truck it takes time to cool off. But gets shorter and short as the temps continue to fall in the minus.

• Like 1

Yep just like Tom said. The cup will be ok but the water disappears fast. You have to keep your mouth and nose covered when super cold like that too. At least for me, I could feel pain in my chest from the air freezing inside of me! It is kind of neat to watch the vapor trail from the exhaust too. I always had to keep scraping the inside of the windows to keep the ice down. Even going down the freeway for a couple hours, just the shear difference in temp from inside to outside the ice builds constantly. Every gearbox just groans and moans and everything creaks and cracks. It is definitely an experience. We got down to about -58 one night. That was the coldest night the whole year. Both of my batteries froze solid!!!

• Like 1

• Staff

Wow! How about if you wet your lips do they freeze together? Gotta' hurt. In any case, I see a big need for chapstick.

minus 58.... can't imagine working in those conditions.

42 degrees here in Western Oregon this morning.

Edited by JAG1

That was the actual air temp. There seemed to be about a 10-20 mph wind all the time and I didn't even bother trying to figure out what the wind chill factor would have been. It was truly almost impossible to go outside long enough to unplug the truck, get in, start it, and then run back inside until the truck was warm enough to drive.

Just imagine this, we had 71 days (almost consecutively) that the actual air temp never came above 0* F!!! It was a big wake up call for me, someone who grew up in central WA state. We may have seen as low as 10 above a couple times but nothing worse than that.

• Owner

I'm lucky. If I want colder weather head to New Meadows, ID proper (South). If I want it warmer head towards Riggins, ID (north). Riggins, ID rarely ever see snow and rarely every get down below 0 numbers. But in New Meadows, ID valley you can almost promise a minus number every single winter and hold it for about 1 month on average.

Global What? Global Warming??? :lmao::lmao2::lol:

Hey, Will, the record low for Grand Forks was -43* on January 3, 2004 so you are probably thinking wind chill temperatures. Either way, it was mighty cold last winter. We had 75 days below zero here too..........

• Like 2

Yabba, the temp here at my house right now is 19*. We will be close to zero by the weekend...... I am thinking about going full time in my fiver and chasing the warmer temperatures.......