• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wheels and tires

I am re-building my 2000 CTD 2 wd truck after several bad MICHIGAN salty winters...geesh I wish I would have oiled the insides of everything like I know I should have....

Anyway I am looking to upgrade the wheels and tires and need to know "what fits" from other years ect? Looking to go with maybe a newer take off wheel in a larger diameter. This will be only a road truck, no off road, stock height, fiberglass boards, I do tow a 5 th wheel. I heard that 8 lug ford wheels were the same. I do not plan to buy new wheels but would like to find some in ex condition somewhere and get new tires. So ! any ideas??  Many thanks to all on this forum for all you do

• Staff

Randy, I buy 95 thru 97 Ford aluminum wheels. They fit the old standard size on the lugs. The newer Ford rims will not work. The 95 thru 97's are the only years Ford had these rims made by Alcoa because they were too expensive. They are also probably the strongest highest quality wheel you can find in a 16 inch used wheel. The offset will put them out about another 3/4 inches which is a bum deal but I can live with that and may get some small fender flares eventually. I buy them off craiglist every now and then with a full set costing about $200 in good condition. One set was not bad for $70 but had to remove old tires.

You can see Alcoa rims on cement trucks on the front and is the same profile but larger. Take note of what the aluminum looks like, because, unlike a cast wheel, a forged wheel has a distinctive color/ look to it.

The thing I like is the weight rating of 3750.

• Like 1

TFaoro. I am thinking I like the 2012 wheels you have on yours !

Dieselfuture. What are the difference in the 04 brakes? Larger? would I need caliper brackets and all? rotors?

Yes, bigger by 30%. You'll need rotors pads and caliper brackets, 03 should work too, I went with 04 to be safe. Got all my parts from local parts store cheaper then anywhere else with lifetime. Driver side looks Chinese but passenger is from dodge, for some reason all parts stores I went to were same with china for passenger side and dodge for driver side, same with calipers they have rebuilt ones from dodge that fit driver side and for odd reason Chinese for passenger.

Almost forgot you'll need 17's if you do this.

Edited by Dieselfuture

So just to be clear, sorry. You use the stock calipers with larger pads?? Doesn't seem to make sense to me that you would retain the stock 2000 calipers on 2004 "larger brackets, pads, rotors...

That's what it is, I didn't come up with it, just following someone else's lead. Maybe they didn't change calipers until later like 05-06 but did put bigger rotors in 03.

• Owner

Like I just put a fresh set of tires on my beast. Kept the 235/85 R16 size but now doing some talking to the sales rep for Tire Factory he suggested for the amount of power I'm putting down to avoid the A/T tire and give Black Lion a try. He admits the highway traction will improve but the offroad traction will suffer. So since I'm 4WD I can use that to make up for the loss.

http://www.blackliontires.com/tires/BC86.html

post-1-0-54860800-1428166083_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68715800-1428166169_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-35365300-1428166259_thumb.jpg

Like I just put a fresh set of tires on my beast. Kept the 235/85 R16 size but now doing some talking to the sales rep for Tire Factory he suggested for the amount of power I'm putting down to avoid the A/T tire and give Black Lion a try. He admits the highway traction will improve but the offroad traction will suffer. So since I'm 4WD I can use that to make up for the loss.

http://www.blackliontires.com/tires/BC86.html

Have you taken them for a ride yet?

• Owner

Well I'm interested to know how they perform in the dirt. What was the tire dealers reason for avoiding AT tires? Softer compound?

A/T the lugs tend to fold over and tear. Where a solid tread tire is less likely to tear from the torque. I've dealt with this tire shop for over 20 years and trust these guys.

Seriously I really never had to use my 4WD very much in the life of the truck. Now I'll be using it a bit more but 242k miles not worried.

EDIT:

They did very well hauling tail to a vehicle accident today.