• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

Sorry Mike I was unable to get pics of the tools today. Today was not a good day.....

These transmissions are pretty dang simple.... I can't see the 5600 being any different other than another set of gears, meaning it shouldn't be bad with the correct tools. When I have the chance I'll get pics of the tools I have and list the others with pics from the book.

dripley, thank you for reading everything! It is a pretty dang long thread and I look forward to the days of posting about how the new parts work together. 

I see the trans manuals are up. Thank you!

Got the front end back together

IMG_20150712_163222_972_zpsw1t9owwx.jpg

Cleaned up the aluminum apps holder and made it shiny. Also cleaned up the "afe".

IMG_20150712_212931_155_zpsyw9hy5qj.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on a bearing for the trans to show up (Reverse needle bearing) then I'll stuff the trans back in. Also waiting on the bed to get back from paint. I got most of the interior back together so that's a huge win in my book. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the exhaust... I think I'll str8 pipe it right now, and if it drones put in a re resonator. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the exhaust... I think I'll str8 pipe it right now, and if it drones put in a re resonator. Thoughts?

I just installed a Diamond Eye 4" system, no muffler but I did install a 30" FTE resonator.  I really like that set up.  No drone but it does sound great and the install was super easy.

Right now I'm waiting on a bearing for the trans to show up (Reverse needle bearing) then I'll stuff the trans back in. Also waiting on the bed to get back from paint. I got most of the interior back together so that's a huge win in my book. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the exhaust... I think I'll str8 pipe it right now, and if it drones put in a re resonator. Thoughts?

I say straight pipe man! I'm the same as Hawkez except no resonator and I don't experience any major droning. Obviously some drone will occur but it's not bad. Plus I figure I could always add a resonator later if I wanted, but doing that the other way around would be a little tougher!

• Like 1

TFaoro, on 13 Jul 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:snapback.png

What ever you pick will be great, I want to hear this monster on the street going through the gears or moving along until break-in is over.

• Like 1

I'll check the PDF's tonight. Mike, those manuals should have the special parts list in there, so I won't post any pictures. I'm going to straight pipe it for now.... The bug got me! Then if it drones I'll add a resonator. Hawkez, does the resonator completely eliminate the whistle of the turbo through the exhaust? I was thinking about the shorter one.

TEASER! Turn the volume up.... That's only 1500rpm too.

Can anyone guess what the exhaust is and where it's recorded?

• Like 1

I run a 5" exhaust but only because it was practically given to me (new, never installed). It did not come with a muffler/resonator so I tried without, personally I think it's obnoxious loud! Not so bad driving solo but I ran a 600 mile trip towing my 22 ft tilt trailer with a half ton Ford on the back and that 600 miles cured me of ever wanting to run anything straight piped again! The drone was absolutely horrible. We were in the process of scrapping a dump truck and it had a good Shuttleworth muffler on it so I saved it and spliced it into my truck. Much better but truthfully it could still use a resonator.

If I buy another exhaust it will be a 4", in my opinion the 5 is a little much for these trucks.

• Like 1

TEASER! Turn the volume up.... That's only 1500rpm too.

Can anyone guess what the exhaust is and where it's recorded?

Okay, With my limited background on Cummins I would say it is recorded up front on the passenger side with an open exhaust or down pipe only. That's why the Turbo sounds like a fighter jet starting to lift off. Just a guess, the volume was up all the way. It would make a great ring tone. :woot: :woot:

• Like 1

Hawkez, does the resonator completely eliminate the whistle of the turbo through the exhaust? I was thinking about the shorter one.

No it doesn't eliminate it.  With the old exhaust I had I never heard the whistle, now I can.  It may not be as loud as the whistle in y our you tube link but you can certainly hear it.

Okay, With my limited background on Cummins I would say it is recorded up front on the passenger side with an open exhaust or down pipe only. That's why the Turbo sounds like a fighter jet starting to lift off. Just a guess, the volume was up all the way. It would make a great ring tone. :woot: :woot:

Winner! (Mostly) It's just the downpipe with the sound being recorded through the hole in the floor (You know.. the spot where a transmission should be)

No it doesn't eliminate it.  With the old exhaust I had I never heard the whistle, now I can.  It may not be as loud as the whistle in y our you tube link but you can certainly hear it.

So hard to decide on length....

• Like 2

Winner! (Mostly) It's just the downpipe with the sound being recorded through the hole in the floor (You know.. the spot where a transmission should be)

So hard to decide on length....

That's like close in Horseshoes lol, I thought your younger brother might be involved holding the drivers seat down and RPMs and you holding the recorder half way between the ground and top of fender. You can sell it as a ringtone, just make it longer. It would be cool to hear several phones going off at a meet full volume, I know....my wife says I'm not right either lol.

Wait a minute, did I win a ride down the street or at least in the driveway??????

Edited by Greenlee
  • Like 1

That's like close in Horseshoes lol, I thought your younger brother might be involved holding the drivers seat down and RPMs and you holding the recorder half way between the ground and top of fender. You can sell it as a ringtone, just make it longer. It would be cool to hear several phones going off at a meet full volume, I know....my wife says I'm not right either lol.

Wait a minute, did I win a ride down the street or at least in the driveway??????

He may be little but he's actually my older brother :lol: I'm 21 and he's 26!

If you make the trip up to CO I might even let you drive it down the driveway! :wow:

So I got my exhaust all taken apart on Tuesday. Started welding things together yesterday. I'm sure I'll need a resonator, so for now I don't care if I have to splice 4 pieces together to make it work. If / when I put a resonator on I'll route DP to resonator to single piece then over axle and out the side.  

Been chasing down a couple leaks. I've tracked one to the seal betweeing the timing case and vacuum pump. Surprisingly the seal between the vac pump and PS pump isn't leaking. Either way the whole kit is on the way and should be taken care of this weekend.

I've also got oil on the back side of the head that I'm not sure how it got there. Either I overfilled before the initial startup, the valve cover gasket is bad, or the rear head studs are holding the valve cover up. I bought some playdough to stick in the valve cover and see if the studs are in fact hitting. Everything else appears to be leak free.

The transmission bearing should be here today, so I'll stick that back together and at least get it started in the truck. It's hard to tell where the downpip is going to sit with the engin being able to move freely.

The bed was primed last night and should be painted today. I may also do the rhino lining on the lower part of the truck and inside the bed with the paint guy. (Spray type not roll on)

It would be nice to have it all done at once and not cost over $1,000 like LineX quoted me. So if it can be done, I'll take the truck over this weekent and have the rhino lining sprayed.

Interior is complete, except for the area around the shifter. I really do hate the dashes in these trucks :ahhh:

I kinda just want to drive it at this point.......

• Like 2

With all of the time and money put into this truck I would makes sure I had pretty good insurance coverage.  It has been fun to follow on the forum.

Sticking $50K into it still doesn't make it anymore valuable to a bank or ins company than book value unless it is a 40+ year old collectible. At best one can buy it back from the ins company and part it out or fix it up again, I have done this a few times in the past with different vehicles and trailers and even a motorcycle.