• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

13 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Are you going to powder coat the valve cover or polish?

My plan right now is to polish the raised sections and paint the rest. (Self etching primer then gloss black)

1 hour ago, crf450ish said:

@TFaoro I just read your stolen truck thread up until you got it back and then read the following page. You are one lucky dude and seeing that reaffirms why valet mode was written into the quad software. I'll be using it when I venture into the stupid city. 

I am very lucky. Shout out to Nick for helping all of us with that. 

I managed to get the truck back together today and even stuffed in @trreed's old injectors. Whew hard to remember how slow they are stock! With the quad CRANKED I can still manage 50psi out of it though :lol: EGTs won't go above 1200 with a 2100us fuel stretch.

Picture time. Started out by wrapping the hot pipe between the turbos with titanium wrap. I'm trying to keep it from melting my wiring looming more.

IMG_20170226_124549174_zpsxkylm8kw.jpg

I then mounted the manifold. Yes I know some of the stock bolts are in there. Thanks BD for sending 2 bolts and expecting us to use the stockers. I found 4 stainless bolts at Ace Hardware. Not sure where I'm going to find the rest but I'm working on it. The back half are stainless, so it'll be easy to replace the front half. 

I also bolted the primary mount to the turbo and hung it in the bay. The new mount fits perfect!

IMG_20170226_145012951_HDR_zpstklptl8r.j

IMG_20170226_145026576_HDR_zpsdkgxexav.j

The BD manifold came with two tapped ports which are on the bottom (because I flipped the manifold over) so I'll have to drill another hole in it to make the quad egt probe work. My autometer is plenty long, but quad's is pretty short (hint hint)

IMG_20170226_145037011_HDR_zpseupkeo7a.j

Slid the secondary in and hooked up its pretty blue drain line.

IMG_20170226_152216538_HDR_zpspoelk2on.j

Finished buttoning up the twins and dropped the injectors in. You can also see where I have the bypass hose run. It's currently over on the driver side sending pressure data to the quad via the fuel pressure sensor. 

IMG_20170226_163107767_HDR_zpsvy9cth0o.j

Here's the interesting part. I am not seeing readings anywhere close to what the videos in the CF thread had. At 2K rpm coolant pressure is at 16psi. At 3K rpm it's 30psi, and at 3500-3600 it's 50psi. I'm considering pulling one of the plugs in the head and seeing if the readings there are the same. The thread on CF had 20psi at idle, but he was tapped into the back of the head. 

BTW the thremostat being open or closed made zero difference in my pressure readings. (and yes I bled the line)

21 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I managed to get the truck back together today and even stuffed in @trreed's old injectors. Whew hard to remember how slow they are stock! With the quad CRANKED I can still manage 50psi out of it though :lol: EGTs won't go above 1200 with a 2100us fuel stretch.

I bet right now those stock injectors are my best shot at keeping up with you on the freeway...

15 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Sorry I forgot my new vc on the table when I left my apartment Friday night. I'll get a pic this coming weekend.

:shifty: I spent 6 hours hand sanding mine tonight. Shines like a diamond though! Pictures look like crap, but once it's painted black around it it'll look good!

All the letters and lines look like the U, M, 4, and V.

And to answer any coming questions - Yes that's the dining room table, yes that's starting fluid, and yes that's the butter knife I used to spread the airplane stripper on :lol: 

IMG_20170228_243034008_zps9ebudhuy.jpg

2 hours ago, trreed said:

I bet right now those stock injectors are my best shot at keeping up with you on the freeway...

You also thought you could take my little VW.... but we both know how that turned out :lmao: 

2 hours ago, BBHD said:

@TFaoro I'm heading up your way Wednesday...if you want to run your old 125's for a while?

If you're looking to sell em :stirthepot: 

Selling those wasn't my brightest move :( 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

:drool: wish I had more time these days, be polishing few things myself. 

This was horrible because of the raised parts. I spent probably 15 hours on it -__-

On straight aluminum pieces that aren't painted it's much faster if you have the right tools. An air grinder with different grit pads can make the process pretty quick. 

57 minutes ago, trreed said:

There it is!  I knew it'd show up sooner or later

You're special and got to see it early!

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I think I've seen it on FB :lmao: 

BTW @jlbayes I think they can be polished up pretty nicely! I haven't even had a chance to use the aluminum polish on the raised parts yet. 

PhotoGrid_1488340817341_zpszr7a8roe.png

A buddy had his polished, whole thing and it really never shined. I love the way that looks over his.

20170228_202843_zpstm2qhxxg.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jlbayes said:

A buddy had his polished, whole thing and it really never shined. I love the way that looks over his.

Polishing is very difficult to do by hand with all of the raised parts. I'm considering taking my stocker, shaving everything smooth, and polishing it into a mirror. We'll see.

6 hours ago, jlbayes said:

20170228_202843_zpstm2qhxxg.jpg

That looks about right :lmao: 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Polishing is very difficult to do by hand with all of the raised parts. I'm considering taking my stocker, shaving everything smooth, and polishing it into a mirror. We'll see.

That looks about right :lmao: 

Need a half empty pizza box on the table too

40 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Not sure what you paid for your cover Tyler, but I came across this when looking in case some other people were thinking of going the same route.

https://www.hoeslidiesel.com/collections/1998-5-2002-cummins-24-valve/products/cast-aluminum-valve-cover

Those are no longer available. Cummins quit casting them.

Well I should say no new covers are available. If they have any they are used.

Edited by jlbayes
  • Like 1