• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

:lol: I'm near Denver I know mountains.

28k+ through the mountains with no issues?? It really isn't that bad, but that's my thoughts.

I'd never put an early 5600 back in anyway.

No I'd do a late NV5600, but an early can be swapped to a large input shaft right?

Also does any one know what i would have to change if i build it myself and where to get it

Build what? Need to be more specific.

No I'd do a late NV5600, but an early can be swapped to a large input shaft right?

Incorrect.... The early 5600 is stuck with the small shaft.

• Staff

:lol: I'm near Denver I know mountains.

28k+ through the mountains with no issues?? It really isn't that bad, but that's my thoughts.

Have you tried it with a NV5600?

The 3 to 4 drop is HUGE on a NV4500 at 67%. So you go from 2500 to 1500 which is below the place you want to be when heavy in the hills. 

On a NV5600 it is a 39% drop which goes from 2500 to 1700 which is still low but a lot better. 

It is very similar on the 2 to 3 shift. A 85% drop vs 66%. 

I haven't towed heavy, or with a Cummins, with a NV4500 but the gear split is quite large and I felt it. It was on a gas engine but that may make it better with a larger rpm band. 

Sorry ill be a bit more spacific can i rebuild it to the larger input shaft and newer style syncros if so what would one have to change to do that

It is not possible to change the input shaft to the larger version.

Syncros shouldn't be a problem. You just have to buy the ones you want.

Have you tried it with a NV5600?

The 3 to 4 drop is HUGE on a NV4500 at 67%. So you go from 2500 to 1500 which is below the place you want to be when heavy in the hills. 

On a NV5600 it is a 39% drop which goes from 2500 to 1700 which is still low but a lot better. 

It is very similar on the 2 to 3 shift. A 85% drop vs 66%. 

I haven't towed heavy, or with a Cummins, with a NV4500 but the gear split is quite large and I felt it. It was on a gas engine but that may make it better with a larger rpm band. 

Yes, I have driven a 5600 and I hate how they shift all notchy.

Taking the truck up to 2800 or so doesn't hurt anything and makes pulling out of 4th nice and easy. Of course it would take a lot of weight to need that.

• Staff

2800 is still under 1700 and based on where we tow that is an issue and is generally due to the elevation/grade and not as much weight.. but YMMV. 

I find the NV5600 to be very smooth shifting and notchy is not a term I would have ever used to describe it.. now certain G56s I have driven are notchy.

There is a reason that 5 speeds were dropped from the lineup and I don't think it is all marketing. 

I'll bet the 4500 is a lot more fun around town thou...

I have never had any trouble shifting mine 5600. Notchey is not a term I would use either. I can get thru them quickly if I want to except for the occasional 5th gear hiccup. i never had the Cummins with the 5 speed but I would have to agree with John on the fun part. My 96 had the 5 speed hooked up with a V10 and it was fun empty. It had a lot range in the gears with the wider rpm range. 

Gearing, gearing, and gearing...

If you don't tow much, or only in the flat land, it may not be as big of a deal but here in the mountains having that extra gear is great. 

That "extra gear" between 1st and OD is what makes the NV5600 the "cats dupe" for towing!!

I've had both.........................nv5600=way better!!!!!

Hijack. So, if i were to do a manual swap next summer :), 5600 is the way to go? NV 4500 are about $1000 less, even with hardened shafts. The extra gear for towing isn't a necessity for me, just having a stick shift and not a low stall converter...5600s known to last longer/stronger in general?

Will i have to chang the gears to put syncros in

I am no tranny guy and could not answer the question. i lost 4th gear in my OE tranny and started thinking about rebuilding. But after seeing what is inside that tranny i changed my mind. I understand that you have to have a 75 or 100 ton press for a couple of the bearings and the gear train in that thing is way over my head. There was a thread on CF of a guy the pulled his apart and I was astonished at what was in there. i am not trying to discourage you at all, go for it if you can. I have done alot to my truck that i would not have done if it was not for this forum. I might tackle a 5 speed but not my 6 speed. I ended up buying one from a junk yard. Supposedly with only 54k on it after i lost 4th. it has and still serves me well. it cost me $2500. I am not advising either way on what to do, just expressing my experience.

By the way it is still going strong 100k miles later.

Edited by dripley

Hijack. So, if i were to do a manual swap next summer :), 5600 is the way to go? NV 4500 are about $1000 less, even with hardened shafts. The extra gear for towing isn't a necessity for me, just having a stick shift and not a low stall converter...5600s known to last longer/stronger in general?

If you dont need or want the extra gear stay with the 5 speed. just my opinion.

2800 is still under 1700 and based on where we tow that is an issue and is generally due to the elevation/grade and not as much weight.. but YMMV. 

I find the NV5600 to be very smooth shifting and notchy is not a term I would have ever used to describe it.. now certain G56s I have driven are notchy.

There is a reason that 5 speeds were dropped from the lineup and I don't think it is all marketing. 

I'll bet the 4500 is a lot more fun around town thou...

I've got 25-30 psi of boost at 1700rpm  :)   - Just stoking the fire!! Yes I do understand a split gear between 3rd and 4th was a great idea and is ideal for towing. My point is even with very heavy loads it isn't hard to compensate for. The extra money just isn't worth it to me.

As for shifting, every one I have driven has been slightly notchy, then when a big boy clutch is put in they are terrible and don't like to go into gear. There's a million threads about hard shifting 5600s and many come after a big clutch is installed.

Y can it not be changed

I don't remember if it was the case that was different or something to that effect. Should be able to google it and find out.

Will i have to chang the gears to put syncros in

No. Gears do not need changed. It's the material on the syncro that wears out, not the cone on the gear itself. 

If you don't tow much I would say go with the 4500. If you tow I would say go with the 5600. The final gear on both transmissions are the same if not similar. All you really are getting out of a 5600 is a helper in the 3-4 range that would normally be on the 4500. But a 4500 with a bigger input shaft should be enough to get you through most everything. A few months ago I did the auto to manual swap and it wasn't cheap, but I did it right.

• Owner

I'm not sure why everyone is bent on the 5600. I really like the 4500.... it's cheap, parts are avaliable, and it's pretty dang strong.

NV4500 are cheaper and available being they where used in more than just Dodge trucks. Yes they are pretty darn strong. When I can get the tires to break loose in 4th. No 5th gear issues or input shaft issues.

Gearing, gearing, and gearing...

If you don't tow much, or only in the flat land, it may not be as big of a deal but here in the mountains having that extra gear is great. 

The only difference is down low gears. They added the between 2nd and 3rd gear on the 5 speed. Because the last two gears in both transmissions are exactly the same. 3rd gear is a rather a long reach to get to 4th when towing stock. But I'm no where near stock nor do I have that issues any longer. Stock power you will need the extra gear for steep mountain forestry roads and towing.