• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best scan reader

So this morning was a bit chilly for us around these parts (weather read 27* fells like 19*) so I go out to get the truck started and let the 3cyl do its job for a bit. I turn the high idle switch to off since I hadn't left it plugged in, WTS goes out and I give it a crank. She starts a bit rough, but only stumbles for a second maybe and fires up. Thinking nothing more, I turn the switch to 3cyl and head back inside. I come back out and notice a CEL on. Truck still is driving fine, although it seems like the truck might have a little less power, but not sure if it was just a combo of the CEL light being on and it being a little icy or what but just a feeling.

Anyways, this is the first CEL I've had since owning this truck so and I figured it'd be a good time to get something to scan the truck myself so I can handle problems and not throw money away at the dealership.

Any inputs on code readers or what may have caused my CEL would be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone's enjoying their thanksgiving weekend!

Mike has started using a wireless or bluetooth OBDII scan tool that looks neat.  I can't find the exact model on amazon right now...  I really like the looks of what Mike has though. 

I have a smarty, so I use that. 

• Owner

Take your pick...

http://www.obdlink.com/

What I've got is The OBDLink LX. I've considered getting the USB version for some in depth CANBus hacking. Then for the shop I thought of upgrading to the OBDLink MX so I can cover the newer Ford and Chevy protocols that the LX can't do. I never know what rolls into the shop these days.

Still to this day the ScanGauge II is the best trip computer over all other products.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

If you just want to read codes you can buy a cheap code reader for about $50 and up. Their are so many out there with some giving just codes, while others give codes and live data, and others will graph the data. I have two code readers a Launch 129 and a Matco Tool MD1032.  I use the Matco reader more even though it is less capable. It gives me the info I need.

You should buy what you really need. If you just what to read codes get an inexpensive one but if you want live data and other options then the sky's the limit. Don't forget to read the product reviews and watch out for Chines junk knock offs.     

So I'm thinking one of two ways to go about this.

Get a scan tool I can use on both trucks (Dodge and GMC) OR get something that does scan reading and a better trip counter and MPGs (which seems to be the scangauge)

On the OBDlink I'd be limited to the wi-fi version since the only windows based computer I have is my desktop. Everything else I have is iOS (insert apple fanboy jokes here) so I think that the wi-fi version is my only option, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So Mike are you using the Bluetooth version of the OBDlink? If so, do you know what the range is? I was thinking if the range is long enough I might be able to pick it up from the desktop. If not, what I'm thinking is getting the USB version and just getting a 50ft or so cable extension and just run it in the house to the computer.

• Owner

Bluetooth range is extremely limited like 6-7 feet tops from the dongle.

WiFi Range will be greater how much I'm not sure.

USB cable length... High speed is limited to 5 meters or 16 feet 5 inches. Low Speed is limited 3 meters or  9 feet 10 inches. So I doubt your going to make it into the house and keep signal running good.

You could buy a cheap Droid Tablet like I did. ($40 bucks for a Azpen A729) Then you got a device for your dongle.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9684027&CatId=11943

• Owner

In a nutshell that's about it. Now if you want to go farther there is people now hacking the CANBus signal and learning how to control things in the vehicle like stereo, headlight and other things with a simple cellphone or tablet. There is several other videos other like this where people create all kinds of features with a simple OBDII dongle.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Ah ok! Got it!

Well this looks like a win win for me. I've been wanting to get the wife some sort of tablet/laptop type device so she doesn't have to always use her phone for everything so I think I'll get her a little higher end tablet so she can use it for her stuff and then when I need it to read the ODBII I can use it as well! :hyper:

• Like 2

I have scan gauge II. Which I'm glad. 25 to 50 percent of the time when I run high idle I get a cel and need to clear it. It's the 0500 speed sensor. Right side of the computer doesn't tell the left side "hey I'm going to do a high idle so don't  worry that we are not moving" 

• Like 1

That's good to hear! Hoping that's all this is. I just ordered the OBDlink MX and an Android tablet for the wife, but for me to commandeer during times like these! I'll update once I get everything hooked up.

Also, for anyone interested the OBDlink MX is 50% off on Amazon right now link HERE

• Like 1

Alright guys so I got the OBDLINK up and running. It's a really cool tool and really eye opening to how much you and monitor and track. 

Anyways, I'm throwing a 1291 code, and from the quick lookup I did, it seems like it's related to the high idle kit. I'm not 100% sure but it'd be nice if I could just clear it and be done.