Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

It looks like it is time to replace my heater core. While I am in there I plan to change the A/C evaporator and the accumulator. Am I missing anything that should be replaced at this time? Looks like Napa, Auto Zone, and Rock Auto all have the same heater core a "Spectra Premium". Has anyone had any bad luck on the evaporator and the accumulator on a specific brand?

I have watched a video on removal. Any tricks that I should be aware of? I know the blend door is important to position that properly. Any advice is appreciated!

I did my heater core and evaporator last year, and like everyone said expect a broken dash, Mine has had a cover since new and that was the first time i pulled the cover off in about 12 or 13 years, and I was shocked ! after I was all done I just put the dash cover back on and forget about it for now

and I see you have an automatic trans. when you drop your steering column, don't do what I did and forget to disconnect the shift indicator cable. I no longer have a shift indicator :doh:

• Like 1

I just replaced both not long ago, I had the entire dash out to fiberglass reinforce the back side. While I had the hvac unit apart I replaced all of the deteriorated foam on the doors as well. Your top dash WILL break, there's no two ways about it.

*Pro tip* 

Don't forget to run the vacuum line back out the hole in the firewall as your reinstalling the HVAC unit, if not you will have to pull it back out. How far along you are with the reassembly when you find this out is directly related to the amount swearing you will do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the job done! No extra parts. Went for a drive and my selector switch didn't work. Then realized I hadn't hooked up the switch.:doh:

Now, when I removed the a/c core this is what I found. I know the answer is going to be simple. But, I have to ask. How did all of that crap get there?

The most important thing of all is that the dashboard is in one piece!:clap:

IMG_0830.JPG

Edited by gassernomore

5 hours ago, gassernomore said:

Got the job done! No extra parts. Went for a drive and my selector switch didn't work. Then realized I hadn't hooked up the switch.:doh:

Now, when I removed the a/c core this is what I found. I know the answer is going to be simple. But, I have to ask. How did all of that crap get there?

The most important thing of all is that the dashboard is in one piece!:clap:

IMG_0830.JPG

Looks like you drove behind a bushwhaker for a good 10 miles. 

This may sound a little redneck but some trimmed home AC filter taped over the vent helps. Knew a handful of guys in south Texas doing that in high dust conditions they said it actually helped and it was cheap.

39 minutes ago, dripley said:

IIRC there is no filter to stop any debris from getting there. Mine had some debris but only about half what you have.

Same here mostly dirt and dust. My aftermarket hood is probably what helps since the hood covers the AC vents up.