• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starter Bolt missing, stranded with loose starter

no only 1bolt was left and it was lose, also it's not the factory bolt (hex instead of 12pt) so I'm not sure if they backed out because they where not long enough to grab enough thread the shop where I got the starter done must have replaced oem screws. thank you guys for quick answer.

Are bolt sizes the same for 2nd gen 2 bolt starters and 3rd gen 3 bolt starters ? I ask because P/N 3903834 is coming up for 94-98 ram 2500.

Edited by Ed's5.9
typo
  • Like 1

Got the truck home and now trying to figure a more proper solution, I found some metal shavings on bolt threads when pulling the starter off to inspect threads so there was some damage to the threads. Looks like I will have to helicoil/timesert the holes or at least 2 out of 3 (noticed one of the threads is a pass through which should allow me to use a longer bolt with a nut to lock it in.)

On another note does anyone know if these trucks are suppose to have some sort of starter support bracket ? I didn't see one on there but wasn't sure if it even had one to begin with.

Last year I had the starter changed by a local shop, I was in a bit of a jam so I couldn't do it my self and now I'm paying the price ... So now that I have the time to do it my self I want to do it right so any tips or recommendations are welcomed, thank you !

• Staff

I've replaced my starter motor twice now, thank you NAPA lifetime warranty, and pulled it down once to replace the crankshaft sensor. There is no bracket for it.  Ya it's a little on the heavy side but no big deal.   

Before you go through the trouble of helicoiling the holes see if you have enough 'meat' left in the holes to run a tap down them and clean them up.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying the factory bolts from cummins, pulled the starter, generously sprayed holes with brake cleaner, hit it with some air and used a small caliper to get confirmed hole depths. Once I had proper depth measurement i proceeded to clean the threads by carefully threading the bolts in, once I started feeling any resistance I would back out spray and clean and then keep going until I got resistance and then rinse and repeat until I got the bolts in all the way to proper depth after performing this process on all 3 bolts I took starter to local rebuild shop for thorough inspection which was a good call because some of the bolts had came lose in the starter from all the rattling. With starter back in proper working order and clean threads with fresh bolts I put everything back together and tightened bolts as close to 37-40ft lbs as my scale certified hands could get it. At this point just for good measure I got a white sharpie paint marker and made straight lines down the side of the bolt heads and on the the housing of the starter of all three bolts to easily identify if bolts start to back out in the future. Its been a couple of weeks now and all line marks are still lined up, so as of now looks like its resolved but I will check periodically once or twice a week and keep a wrench an extra wrench in the truck for the next month or so. 

Also I learned something that may serve others that have this issue in the future. Visibly from the exterior it looks like only 1 bolt passes through but in reality 2 of them do the other passes through into the flex plate area I didnt confirm if alignment would permit it but it almost looked like if you use too long of a bolt you could possibly drive starter bolt into flex plate (made me feel at ease that I went with factory bolts...)  but for others that go with longer bolts you may want to take this into consideration. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...