• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Would there be any interest in a interior refinishing write up?

Specificly on the early 2nd gen (94-97) trucks. I'm going to be doing some interior work on my 96' so it won't look like a hooptie anymore lol. I'm going to recover my headliner, add texture to fiberglass repaired panels, and paint them. I'm still debating building my own top dash but not sure yet. If there is any interest in this I will take pics and possibly some videos.

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 3

• Owner

I've got 2 well used trucks that could both have a bit of attention to the interior. Like the 02 has its first dash crack on the passenger side very small at this point. The 96 need attention to plastic parts that are broken or damaged over the years. the 96 dash is in excellent condition yet. Both trucks need the carpet yanked out and power washed. Trust me that really brightens up the carpet and looks good afterwards. All the plastic panels take some Simple Green and scrub brush.

So I'm going to follow this thread because MoparMom and myself have decided to keep the 1996 Dodge and restore it a bit that include a paint job this year. I'll be doing the paint and body work.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

My top dash is gone. It crumbled in to so many pieces there was nothing I could do. The bottom dash was completely broken out around the cup ejectors and the glove box hinges were about to break off. It was also broken around the hvac controls and O/D off button. 

How the door panels looked before:

20151215_165111.jpg.4d379e5001f8af9d942b

And after:

20151215_165134.jpg.c603b8297c9c23ae0a51

Rebuilt the whole top section here, sill have more finishing to do. One thing I learned about fiberglass is that you get what you pay for. The crap sold at Walmart and the like is just that, crap. I'll be ordering fiberglass and resin from one of the quality auto supply vendors online from now on. 

20151215_165226.jpg.cca4ce87044966441ed7

Below you can see where it had started to crack. A layer of glass behind the entire lower dash put an end to that. Because of the added thickness of the fiberglass the original push-in clips no longer work. So, I'm going to smooth over the holes where the original push-in threaded clips went, drill a hole in the center, and epoxy flat threaded plates on the back side for the dash to attach to. 

20151215_170301.jpg.cbec9f4231e84f7367d5

Please bear with me on this project. I know some of you couldn't fathom the thought of doing something like this to your interior. My problem was that I  had no choice because of all the damage. I've already had people make fun of my truck because it "looks like a piece of s%!t" right now. My interior is FAR from finished, I plan on making it look factory fresh but it's going to take time. I'm keeping this truck for the long haul so it's all worth it to me. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got 2 well used trucks that could both have a bit of attention to the interior. Like the 02 has its first dash crack on the passenger side very small at this point. The 96 need attention to plastic parts that are broken or damaged over the years. the 96 dash is in excellent condition yet. Both trucks need the carpet yanked out and power washed. Trust me that really brightens up the carpet and looks good afterwards. All the plastic panels take some Simple Green and scrub brush.

So I'm going to follow this thread because MoparMom and myself have decided to keep the 1996 Dodge and restore it a bit that include a paint job this year. I'll be doing the paint and body work.

So Mike, what did you do that you are lucky to have dashes in great shape, Do you live in a controlled environment or something

• Owner

@01cummins4ever Summer time temperatures reaching 117*F and winter time temperatures down to -25*F. Nope... Not a controlled environment.  Mostly I kept my truck out of the direct sunlight as much as possible. Always used a sun visor on the windshield, kept the two windows rolled down about 2 inches so cab temperatures never got higher than needed. Like if I park outside I park in the shade of the trees in the yard. Weird but true I used armor-all for many years on this dash. I can tell you it will not cause it to crack but it sure does attract dust and dirt. Wasn't till recently I gave up using it that I noticed the first small crack open up on the driver side right near the defroster vent.  I'm wanting to move over to dash rug more so now.

As for my dash bezel I broke a chunk out of it from having the GPS cord sneaking out right there and the cord was enough to break the chunk out with all the dash vibrations.

@The_Hammer What year of truck do you have? You have the old school head light switch and newer door panels? 98.5 truck? I love the way your door panel came out. What did you use to glue the carpet down? Did you paint the panel too?

Edited by Mopar1973Man

@Mopar1973Man

My truck is a 96. They're early 2nd gen panels, the truck had the Infinity sound system upgrade. 

After doing a TON of research decided to use Dupli-Color vinyl and fabric paint. I also used Dupli-Color adhesion promoter clear primer. The fabric inserts and the panel were painted with the same color, Charcoal Grey. Seems people have had great luck with this paint, no fading, chipping, or peeling issues as long as you use the adhesion promoter. 

Prep was extremely simply.

* Wipe the panel down with a degreaser that doesn't leave a residue, I used acetone.

* Spray 3 light coats of adhesion promoter, allowing 3 minutes between each coat. Apply topcoat within 10 minutes of final primer coat. 

* Apply up to 3 coats of the vinyl and fabric paint, waiting for the paint to become tacky between coats. It dries pretty quick and can be handled in about 15-20 minutes in ~60% humidity and 70°. Oddly enough there are NO dry times listed on the can. The dry time I listed is from today under those conditions. 

I think I'm going to end up buying a replacement dash when I have the funds. I could probably build one myself but the time and money involved would be pretty high. I found the OEM dash for a little over $200 and have heard they are now made from ABS plastic. I definitely will be confirming this before purchasing. 

I'll be recovering my headliner soon, I have it out and removed all the old material and foam. I should have taken some pictures but honestly removing the old headliner material and foam is simple. Step 1, grab material and pull. Step 2, take a wire brush and scrub the old foam off the fiberboard. You could also use a grinder with a wire wheel but the possibility of ripping through the fiberboard is high if not careful. 

Almost forgot, @Mopar1973Man

I never thought about pressure washing the carpet. I tested a spot with that fabric paint and the carpet looked great other than needing to be cleaned. I'll pull it out, pressure wash it,  and when it's try hit it with the vinyl paint. 

• Owner

The door panel fabric is dirty and stained over the years. The carpet is no longer grey in color but a mixture of grey and earth brown. The seats are wore out and I really know they need help. Fabric is starting to tear. Don't help with "Diesel" bounding in over the back of the driver seat. It always been the fall back rig.

So I'll start getting busy pulling the carpet pretty soon. I've got a seat out back with electric motor so I can fix my electric driver seat. Been dragging tail about it.

Just came across this http://www.seatzmfg.com/seatz/index.htm

They offer actual upholstery kits and NOT covers, and unlike ebay they offer materials other than leather. 

These are a couple hundred more http://www.carandtruckupholstery.com/p-307-1994-99-dodge-truck-standard-cab-front-bench-and-rear-bench-upholstery-woven-clothvelour.aspx

Edited by The_Hammer