• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball joints

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Other thought...... if the BJ's are really good then you worry about the bj socket or cup wearing.

This makes me think about getting the greasable ones.

my oe's were sealed and lasted 200k+ miles. wish i could find some more of those. Installing them is a pretty involved job, but picking which ones to use sucks.

• Staff

I think about the actual manufacturer. Wonder who they really are as all the brand label companies can subcontract to the different forges to be made. Then wonder who actually specifies the better metallurgical alloy.

Dave, my oems only lasted 65 k miles.

Edited by JAG1

@Mopar1973Man

It looks like most of the upper ball joints NAPA has are splined. Hell, the ones in the truck now may be splined, I seriously doubt they're stock with 300k miles on them. 

Keep in mind this is an advertisement for Raybestos so they are definitely going to make their products sound awesome. With that said it seems like they make quality parts and they say their warranty covers the replacement part PLUS labor. I'm going to give them a shot and see how it goes. 

• Staff

Mine had 29,000 on them when I bought the truck they were tight. So to be honest with you guys, the added 35,000 miles was mostly carrying a fully loaded truck camper around 3400 lbs fully loaded. But still seems premature to only last 64 k miles for oems on the 2002.

Source auto told me Spicer has met market demands by making two grades; affordable ones made in China and then the expensive USA made which last longer. They put in the USA made for me $1400 bucks w new tie rod ends and so far they are holding with no play in them.

I have seen the Spicer affordable grade but not the USA made. Do you happen to have a link to them?

Also I was looking around at ball joints again today. It would appear that McQuay Norris, and Raybestos fell under the same brand a while back. I also heard some where a good while back that Moog had fallen under the Federal Mogul umbrella. Then I saw this and it would appear that they all are under the FM umbrella. http://americanmachinist.com/news/federal-mogul-takes-over-affinia-chassis-components How do you know what you are getting from anyone anymore.

i

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I have seen the Spicer affordable grade but not the USA made. Do you happen to have a link to them?

Also I was looking around at ball joints again today. It would appear that McQuay Norris, and Raybestos fell under the same brand a while back. I also heard some where a good while back that Moog had fallen under the Federal Mogul umbrella. Then I saw this and it would appear that they all are under the FM umbrella. http://americanmachinist.com/news/federal-mogul-takes-over-affinia-chassis-components How do you know what you are getting from anyone anymore.

i

There's no real way to know what the hell your buying anymore.

I'd try the Dynatrac ball joints but I can't drop $550 on them right now. 

• Staff

Dave Ripley, I don't have any information on those. I'm just repeating what the owner down at Source automotive told me about the better USA made Spicers. They do BJ's all the time and would have to guess that this has been their experience with them. I would call them for a line on getting them. Source Automotive 503 654-9004. Rip Rook is his name. Rip is his nick name and Rook is his real last name. I used his dad many years ago for legal advice, a very good attorney back in the day.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:wtf:

Dude... I couldn't even do that... :omg:

Part of that post is missing :doh:

I would try them if they lasted significantly longer than what's currently available and I could afford $500 for them. According to CF I'd still be a cheap a$$ because I didn't spend $1000+ on Carli joints lol.

I'm still going to try the Raybestos Pro joints, I've heard a lot of good things about their parts.

I dont think Dynatrac even makes them for the 00-02. Even so at near $600 that is out of me league. If i knew for a fact they would last 150k+ I would think about.it. 

Thanks for the info Jag. I keep hearing about the more expensive ones but cant seem to find the.  Rip Rook, you gotta love name.