• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New truck!!

Yea, that's the only reason I went with this track bar, since it was built specifically for the 2nd gens. Just wish I didn't have drill out the bracket, but in the end, I'll take the 3/4in strength over the stock 5/8ths. I'm gonna have to get the run down from you on steering boxs here soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright everyone, I finally got around to wrenching on the truck some more. Time has bee. A little scarse (imagine that with a 6mo :cry:) but my parents were in town so my dad and I got out and out in the HX and also swapped out the stock battery cables for the ones from custombatterycables.com

On to pics!

So the batterey cables were straight forward. Just take out old, insert new. It's a little tough bending 2/0 cable to fit and go where you want but with a little muscle it'll listen. You will need to splice into the factory battery mounts on the passenger side negative.

image.jpeg

I had to cut this middle wire (yours may be different.) 

image.jpeg

The plastic 'Y' is what you want to KEEP so don't cut below that. You'll only want to solder one end of wire to another end. Stock battery cable was 8, the new upgraded cable was 6 so plan your splicing accordingly.

image.jpeg

The wire after soldering

image.jpeg

And this is the finished product. All in all I'm really happy with the products fit and finish and the military style terminals. I only wish the PO didn't put such big battery's in, they don't really fit in the batterey trays right now. 

The HX swap was really easy and straight forward, I didn't take as many pics as I usually do because I was extra greasy. I can go snap some pics of any extra stuff if you guys want.

• Like 2

Ok so just wanted to put this here so I can have everything I've done on the truck in one spot. 

I wanted to copied Mikes idea of putting lights up under the axle because I couldn't see anything when backing up :nono:

Anyways, using a couple different diagrams from people on here and on CF I was able to piece together a setup. 

I mainly used this diagram, just because it was the easiest for me to read. I'm not very electronically inclined

image.jpeg

I used these 35w lights with rubber housings that I got for like $15  a piece at my local tractor supply store. I spliced the existing wire from the light into a two prong waterproof plug

image.jpeg

You can see where I soldered and put shrink wrap where the wires change color. 

Then I shoved the the wiring into the rubber housing so that my solder was no longer exposed and put some rtv on the hole to keep water out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I then wired together the two lights and ran the rest of the wiring down the truck and up through the firewall into the cab. 

I ran a second single wire from the  trailer hitch wiring up to the cab as well. It was the purple with black striped wire. 

Once in the cab I connected two seperate inline fuses. One for the switch, one for the relay.

image.jpeg

I tapped into keyed on power where the red arrow shows. You can see my in line fuses to the left a bit. I really need to go back and clean up the wiring under my kick panel! :kick:

image.jpeg

Currently how I have the relay positioned.

image.jpeg

For now the switch is just hanging out under the steering wheel. I'll more then likely put it to the left of the steering wheel at the very top of the kick panel. I want to be able flip the switch without having to be all the way in the truck so that's why I'm thinking there. 

image.jpeg

And how things ended up looking in back. 

Overall I'm really happy with it! Got a little more in depth then I planned and had to make more trips to ACE then I would've liked but all in all a nice mod. The lights definitely aren't blinding but they illuminate plenty enough so you can see backing up or hitching a trailer. 

Thanks for inspiration on this mod Mike! :thumb1:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well still haven't picked a spot for my backup light switch. But I did finally get around to putting my trailer brake in this truck. I wanted to put it somewhere easy enough to reach so uncoils activate the brake override if needed but somewhere it was still out of the way a bit. I finally settled on just using the ash tray as my mounting location. Definitely nothing original here but it worked out well for me. I'm running a tekonsha p3 and it fit perfectly. I did trim the plastic holder a bit though. 

image.jpeg

I removed the entire ash tray cover and the 'metal' cover on top. Got a good idea of how I wanted my trailer brake holder mounted. Drilled holes and that was that. There are two plastic pieces that stick out that hold the tray cover in place and you can use these to mount your trailer brake on top giving it a slightly lower angle or below making it gave up more. You can as see (if you look hard enough) that I cut the tabs on the from outside portion of the plastic. This was so I could take the controller out without having to remove everything else just to take that out.

Here's a better shot of what I was talking about.

image.jpeg

Final install

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I really like how it's tucked up in the panels without looking too weird that one of the panels is missing. I was even thinking of trying to take apart the front plastic section of the ash tray to try and put a bit of a cover back on it to make it look more natural but we'll see.

• Like 1