• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New truck!!

The return hose for the AD came with the ends already on them. It was just plug and play quick disconnects. I have heard people have had problems out of them. Mine have been trouble free, though I might be have an issue with them now I just need some decent weather to investigate that. All of my lines came with the ends already on them. The VP and engine return lines just stayed stock and plugged back into the existing return on the basket. Pretty simple actually

Actually one end had quick disconnects you just pinch and release and the other end needs a removal tool to disconnect them. Not sure why they were different on each end. Must be an AD thing.

Ah ok. On my setup, the only stock lines that are still being used are going to be the stock return line from the VP. If AD didn't have the QA 'issues' as of late I probably would've just gone with them since they seem to do this process on their system. I'm basically trying to merge the AD fuel module setup with the FASS setup.

Either way I think I got the kinks worked out from my screw ups and things should work out.

I just need to try and clean my tank out as best as possible and then everything's going back on the truck.

I went a similar route as dripley and my vp returns through the OE quick disconnect and Fass returns to the OE pick-up. I just did what Eric said the disable the check valve so all the return fuel goes right back into the basket. I've only ran it down just until the fuel light turns on at 1/8 of a tank and all was well so far

• Staff
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, IBMobile said:

He pulled me over.  Said he was looking for you.  I pled the 5th.     56b810f5e06bc_animated-smileys-vehicles-

I'll never park next you after the stuff I found in my truck. No wonder he's looking...:lol3:

Edited by JAG1

37 minutes ago, BBHD said:

I went a similar route as dripley and my vp returns through the OE quick disconnect and Fass returns to the OE pick-up. I just did what Eric said the disable the check valve so all the return fuel goes right back into the basket. I've only ran it down just until the fuel light turns on at 1/8 of a tank and all was well so far

What check valve are you referring too?

2 hours ago, notlimah said:

Ah ok. On my setup, the only stock lines that are still being used are going to be the stock return line from the VP. If AD didn't have the QA 'issues' as of late I probably would've just gone with them since they seem to do this process on their system. I'm basically trying to merge the AD fuel module setup with the FASS setup.

Either way I think I got the kinks worked out from my screw ups and things should work out.

I just need to try and clean my tank out as best as possible and then everything's going back on the truck.

The only stock lines I used were the VP/engine(back of the head)lines. They are joined by a tee at the back of the engine. Your are pretty much doing the same thing(return fuel to the basket)in a different manor. Both ways work.  think you did the right thing getting a Fass and not the AD. 

Not sure i remember a check valve, but i did install mine 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notlimah said:

What check valve are you referring too?

IMG_2928.JPG.389030f2c2893374a1aaf931a5b

just above where the in tank pump was mounted. Yours is cut out now where you have a larger return for the FASS. I just used the quick connect that came with my pump that has a quick connect to the stock suction. I hope that makes sense 

Ok @dripley & @BBHD I think I'm trackin with what you're saying. You just used the OEM suction lines, just used a quick connect and added it to them. Either way I think were all ending up with the same result, just taking different ways of getting there!

Mine is 1/2 suction via the drawstraw, 1/2 return from the FASS via extra fitting/straw, and the OEM return from VP/engine to the OEM return port up top.

So here's an update on my slow progress (its tough getting work done with a 14week old at home!)

So I got my module finalized with wires clipped that I don't need anymore, the OEM suction hose gone, and put a small yellow rubber screw cap on the end of the OEM suction line. I filled it with JB weld and slid it over and let dry, that way no debris would be able to get inside.

IMG_2954.JPG.5bf53061cf1a35a7c8233e40881IMG_2953.JPG.23433611e40a02e2ad88447c28f

I'm hoping I have enough hose to run my return and supply lines to the FASS since my fitting are facing the opposite way, but I'm sort of limited with where they can go due to stock fittings. Should work out no problem, and worse comes to worse I'll order more hose.

Oh and if anyone was every wondering the size comparison between the stock carter, in tank pump and the FASS, here ya go!

IMG_2952.JPG.2d079dbfd4e1b9e7395a7c8a7ab

Edited by notlimah
  • Like 1

You should have enough hose to route then the way you want. My DSV fitting is facing the same way. I had enough hose to run to stock filter housing then to vp and still had about 16" left. Never used the 1/2" line that came with the big line kit. Awesome thread with great pics by the way :thumbup2: 

Edited by BBHD
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dripley said:

I was surprised when I saw the in tank pump and the fact that a portion of the flow of that pump is diverted to open the little flapper in the bottom of the basket to help draw fuel into the basket. Lot a work for that little pump to do.

I thought the same thing. I mean, I'm not sure what alls workable on the carter and what's "for show" sort a speak, but it's pretty crazy what a difference they are.

13 minutes ago, BBHD said:

You should have enough hose to route then the way you want. My DSV fitting is facing the same way. I had enough hose to run to stock filter housing then to vp and still had about 16" left. Never used the 1/2" line that came with the big line kit. Awesome thread with great pics by the way :thumbup2:

Good to hear! Hoping to get the fuel module back in tank and tank back on the truck tomorrow!

Anyways, more to come!

• Owner

Only problem with FAS it so friggin' huge...

5FASSANDAIRDOG.jpg.3a8539609ee9fcb19e209

Makes for difficult time hiding the pump and filter somewhere out of the debris path of the tires also out of the direct wind of winter cold. So the FASS can't go in my hiding spot. It just too big. So consider you mounting location very careful. Frame rail mounting will place the filters in striking path of any kicked up road debris. It would really suck to run over something and wipe out the filters. 

DSCF4641.JPG.4fbc994a8b21dfa4511a8ed3c93

• Staff

I have a swing away protection plate using 1/4'' aluminum plate under my large Racor filter. When I need access I loosen one bolt and the plate pivot/ swings out of the way. Basicaly it is an extension of the skid plate already under there but, lapped the correct way to not snag anything.

Edited by JAG1

***PROGRESS REPORT***

Well got these fuel module reinstalled in the tank. 

image.jpeg.1895c61a85480b58f15a980632995

Of course as soon as I snugged it down I panicked and couldn't remember if I plugged in the electrical connector inside, so off it came! (Of course it was plugged in)

Used the ol harness hoist maneuver to get the tank back up under the truck

image.jpeg.0c1a9356a03b399e0e4cfee308a08

I'd highly suggest that you shave down your forward most tank strap. It makes it possible to get the strap out without loosening the carrier bearing bolts.

image.jpeg.ed4b63bbc1b872a0844234a0b3fe3

I probably should've trimmed more off since I still had to muscle it into place but it was still doable with all the carrier bearing bolts fully tightened down. 

Anyways, tanks still slung under the truck loosely so I can route hoses for the FASS tomorrow. Started to route the wiring but these little s@!#s broke! Both the ones supplied from FASS broke so it was off the ACE I went 

image.jpeg.5f554ef3d376a45eedb0eca24a7f2

It wasn't a huge problem, and my fault but set me back enough that I killed all my remekning daylight. So tomorrow I'm hoping to get the FASS wiring and tubing done tomorrow and should make good headway on the gauge install as well. I'm not planning on teeing into the stock fuel filter and I don't need to cut the filler tube so I'm hoping that saves some time. 

Anyways, more to come!

• Staff
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:59 PM, notlimah said:

Oh and if anyone was every wondering the size comparison between the stock carter, in tank pump and the FASS, here ya go!

That little in tank pump looks just like the type Volvo used in their tanks (1976-1992) to feed the main Bosch fuel pump. They didn't hold up to well either.