• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Throaty, Spooly 2nd gen

Same here, although I feel the more I felt I listened for it, the more I thought it was there. But if I just was driving and enjoying the sounds, it wasn't a bother. It does get fairly loud at highway speeds but not terrible unless under decent loud or grade.

23 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

Thanks guys. Might start with Diamond Eye 4" without muffler and go from there.ncan always add a muffler later if my wife decides it's too loud.?

That's what exactly the way I approached adding mine. Figured I'd start straight and add a can later if I wanted. Doing it the other way around is a little harder. You won't be disappointed with a DE that's for sure.

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I never understood the drone thing.  I have a cheap 4" straight pipe and really all you ever hear is injection and induction noise, at least when cruising.

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I done a Diamond Eye 4" on a 1995 Dodge turned out awesome with muffler. The Diamond Eye muffler is a straight through like mine is and its still got a bit of noise but no drone and nice cruising with.

My dad did the same thing with his 96 and the drone in the cab was horrible. It was giving us both headaches, so he stuffed another muffler on it. The same thing happened with my brother's CR. 4" exhaust, and droned horribly! The 24Vs don't seem to be as bad. Mine didn't have much even with a straight pipe and aftermarket turbo. 

Edited by TFaoro

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Only if you have full length 3" or 4" exhaust system. If the exhaust pipe is shorten or dumps early or under the truck is still going to drone. Bigger the exhaust pipe the more chance of drone.

See the 12V had the stock turbo, then a 3-4" down pipe, then a 4" diamond eye muffler, then exited the stock location. It's an eclb as well. Idk why it did what it did but it was unbearable!

My brother's 05 got MUCH worse when he went from a stock he351 to a phatshaft 62/65/14. After he put twins on though all drone is gone.

I used to run a straight piped stock exhaust.  The truck acquired a drone when towing above 2000 RPM until I strapped a T post to the section of exhaust where the muffler and resonator were originally mounted which reduced the drone to almost nothing.  Overall sound was nice but tended to be a little sharp and rappy, especially when accelerating hard with a load.

I now have a straight pipe 4" system and when installing it I specifically used all the available mounts and hangers so as to keep the pipe taught, movement free, and exit in the same stock manner.  Because the common reason for exhaust droning is not only the reverberation of exhaust waves traveling through the pipe without interference or obstruction but when the exhaust pipe is allowed to hum like a guitar string from lack of support.

Also, this 4" exhaust sounds much deeper and throatier and sounds more mellow too.  And even though there is no muffler, its not that loud either unless I'm on the throttle hard, then you know I'm there.

I also blanketed about 6 feet of the pipe beside the transmission to stop radiant exhaust heat from heating up the transmission and transfer case, so I cant say if that material did much of anything to reduce noise. :thumbup2: