• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Destroyed Dana 70 rear end...

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I was more worried about the ujoints than anything.

I was too... which is why I redid my driveshaft.  I never thought I'd kill a dana 60 or 70.  I really think it was badly abused by the previous owner.  

It does look like if I can get the torn up hub off and broken shaft out that I will be able to chase the threads and reassemble.  I am just worried that the force that pushed the hub off bent or damaged the differential or center section bearings.  

If I can't get the shaft out of the tube I'm going to need to totally disassemble it and push it out backwards.

3 hours ago, notlimah said:

So it putting an 80 in not a straight swap?

Need to shorten the driveshaft 1 inch or buy one for a Dana 80 rig and the u-bolts need to be changed as the axle tube diameter is bigger on the D80 and along with that comes with the matching u-bolt saddle & plates upper and lower to match the bigger diameter of the tubes. Not bad at all, I did the swap on my 02. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSM said:

I was too... which is why I redid my driveshaft.  I never thought I'd kill a dana 60 or 70.  I really think it was badly abused by the previous owner.  

It does look like if I can get the torn up hub off and broken shaft out that I will be able to chase the threads and reassemble.  I am just worried that the force that pushed the hub off bent or damaged the differential or center section bearings.  

If I can't get the shaft out of the tube I'm going to need to totally disassemble it and push it out backwards.

My drive shaft rebuild is coming soon. I think at 370k i got my moneys worth out of it. Plus I have a small vibration that I believe is in the carrier bearing or the balance is off. Might as well do the whole shaft. 

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

Need to shorten the driveshaft 1 inch or buy one for a Dana 80 rig and the u-bolts need to be changed as the axle tube diameter is bigger on the D80 and along with that comes with the matching u-bolt saddle & plates upper and lower to match the bigger diameter of the tubes. Not bad at all, I did the swap on my 02. 

Ahh ok, so basically just find a whole 80 for sale, driveshaft and all and your good to go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

Yes sir. Just make sure it is a 2500 D80 and not a 3500 dually D80, bit different width of axle tubes.

Or... just buy a 3rd gen and don't do crazy mods?  haha.  

• Like 1

Is there any markings on the axle to make certain what I have?  I am going to pull the remaining good axle and check the splines, but how do we tell a 70U from a 70?  

• Staff
1 hour ago, CSM said:

I'm looking for a 01.5 to 02 dana 80... if anybody has one...

I found one on E-BAY but it may be for drum brakes. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-Dodge-Ram-2500-Diesel-Spicer-Dana-80-Rear-Axle-limited-slip-New-Oem-/121937623247

Edited by IBMobile

11 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I found one on E-BAY but it may be for drum brakes. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-Dodge-Ram-2500-Diesel-Spicer-Dana-80-Rear-Axle-limited-slip-New-Oem-/121937623247

Looks like drums... but I don't know if they are interchangeable.  I kinda doubt it.