• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 fill plug thread and pitch

I think sensor wont be completely in oil as it would be slinged all over the trans. Might have to have it lower for more accurate reading. Have you considered fass coolers that bolt up to pto, more room for extra oil, extra cooling and a hole for a sensor. I'm going to get one cooler and one filter for opposite side. 

3 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

When you're driving it won't be submerged. Not sure if that'll throw off your reading or not.

I'm going to tap one of the PTO covers on my g56 when I change the fluid.

Man that's scary we posted same thing at the same time.  

• Like 1

If memory serves, it's 3/4" NPT.  Like others said, it won't be submerged, though the air in the tranny will likely be about the same temp as the oil so maybe it doesn't matter.  :think:

TFaoro, I was going to ask you, what was all involved in your g56 swap?  I'm considering it myself as the NV4500 in the '96 needs a new clutch anyway, and I'm pretty sure the OP welded on 5th gear so I'm hesitant to throw to much power through it.

From what I've read I need clutch/flywheel, new/modified hydraulics, lengthened/shortened drive shafts, T-case shifter modification, and modified cross member.  Does that sound about right?

Thanks.

Edited by Cowboy

Correct, its a regular 3/4" NPT.  And yes, a 3/4" to 1/8" reducer will allow for a sensor port too.  It also wont matter if the sensor isnt fully submerged while the truck isnt moving either because the temperature difference will be negligible.  But no matter because the sensor will always touch fluid while you drive which is when you really care about the temperature anyways.  Plus, if you overfill by any amount then the sensor will always be in contact with the fluid.

But all that said, I highly suggest that you invest in some Fastcoolers.  Not only will the increase in dissipation be worth it but the added two quarts and the port location will be too.

I know they're about $200 or so which means you have to decide if you want to spend the money, which would still leave you with the fill plug reducer option.

I replaced my fill plug with a sight glass plug.

Along those lines, I'm befuddled as to why NV didnt add a drain plug in these transmissions.  There's clearly a bung intended for the drain located right under the fill hole but they didnt tap it.  Weird. :think:

• Owner

Well so far I got the bushing installed. Just driving back from New Meadows, ID to home I was hard pressed to even reach 120*F. So on the way home I ran up Elk Lake Rd which is another steep canyon road in 2 miles I was really hard pressed to barely touch 140*F. Back on the pavement and rolling 65 MPH temperature dropped to 115-120*F roughly. This transmission isn't making much heat.

Now to say I do realize the gears are flinging the oil every where inside the gear case. So over filling isn't exactly a requirement. So this is with the Mobil Delvac 50 SAE Synthetic Transmission Fluid being measured by a ISSPro EV2 gauge. My Edge Comp also took a relocation under the column since I rarely change the setting.

More to come...

DSCF3700.JPG

DSCF3702.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Yes from 15 MPH and down is blocked.

Here is the sensor stuff in the case. I'm going to say that I'm going to be studying really hard the changes of what the gear lubricant is going to do which its a lighter viscosity than the original NV4500 fluid. I'm also going to watch for MPG changes if any can be found.

DSCF3710.JPG

• Like 2

Glad its working out for you.

And your temperature readings are about right.  Not much heat comes from these transmissions unless you're towing, whereby you may see the temps get up to around 175*.  The higher temps should be only when you tow on grades in 3rd or 5th gear, or drive fast in 5th gear.  Its crazy how much heat is generated in the gear reduction value. :thumbup2:

• Owner

175*F is nothing to worry about.

Now yes I do see some serious summer temperatures here ranging around 110-115*F in the summer but its short lived. Now my winter temps are minus as I head south to New Meadows, ID and even more south of that. Again the extreme cold is short lived too.  So the coolers I would consider if I was in the desert and seeing much more hot periods. Being I'm running that 50 SAE synthetic transmission fluid and most likely going to shorten my change interval to 50k miles.

Just doing quick look for max running temperatures for the fluid I'm using there is nothing per say set in stone. Looking around most average answer says max operational temperature is 240-260*F roughly. I've still got the warning light in the ISSPro set for 220*F. Might bump down to 200*F but first I got to see some heavy towing to get a feel for what I'll see then readjust accordingly.

2 hours ago, Hawkez said:

That looks really good.  What the length or your wires from the sensor to the gauge adequate or did you have to add in wire?

As for the wire the full length of the sensor lead was used and still got a bit of slack under the dash. So the supplied wire that ISSPro provides is plenty.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

175*F is nothing to worry about.

Now yes I do see some serious summer temperatures here ranging around 110-115*F in the summer but its short lived. Now my winter temps are minus as I head south to New Meadows, ID and even more south of that. Again the extreme cold is short lived too.  So the coolers I would consider if I was in the desert and seeing much more hot periods. Being I'm running that 50 SAE synthetic transmission fluid and most likely going to shorten my change interval to 50k miles.

Just doing quick look for max running temperatures for the fluid I'm using there is nothing per say set in stone. Looking around most average answer says max operational temperature is 240-260*F roughly. I've still got the warning light in the ISSPro set for 220*F. Might bump down to 200*F but first I got to see some heavy towing to get a feel for what I'll see then readjust accordingly.

As for the wire the full length of the sensor lead was used and still got a bit of slack under the dash. So the supplied wire that ISSPro provides is plenty.

Agreed..... 175* is perfectly safe, and I'd be more than happy if that was as hot as it ever got too.  But guaranteed it will get hotter when you tow, especially if it gets as hot as you say where you live.

For instance, it was around 90* today and my transmission temperatures never got above 140*.  But as I've mentioned before, when I tow my trailer in the summer the transmission temps will normally maintain around 160*-170*.....as long as I keep it in 4th gear running on fairly flat highway doing 60 mph.  But the moment I have to downshift for s steep enough grade the temps will start to rise because of the gear reduction.  And after a long steady climb in 3rd gear in 90* weather I can see the temps run up around 200*.  Doesn't mean it will always get that hot but it can if the grade is long enough.  And if the weather is hot enough outside (say around 100*-110*) then I've seen my transmission temps remain around 190* while towing on the freeway simply because its so hot outside and it takes too long to cool between small grade differences throughout the drive.  I dont enjoy towing in that kind of heat either.....

Again, we agree that these are all still safe temperatures.  Its when fluid temps get around 225* and higher that I would be seriously concerned as my information what the 4500 can take comes from the older hot shot fellas over the years who found out back then that their 4500's would run as hot as 275* while working.  I dont care what temperatures a fluid can withstand.....thats just way too HOT for everything else in the tranny and resulted in those guys having issues.  I remember specifically one guy giving up after multiple go-arounds and eventually swapped in a 5600.  Not sure how that worked out for him either but I'm sure by the time he got enough miles racked up on it that he moved on to a newer truck.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

I would be seriously concerned as my information what the 4500 can take comes from the older hot shot fellas over the years who found out back then that their 4500's would run as hot as 275* while working. 

Even on automatic that's just way too hot period. Synthetic fluids are more thermally stable and able to tolerate heat but your right 275*F is way too hot for all the bearings, gears and everything. I'm really curious to see towing temperatures and how mine does for most of the grades here in Idaho. Most all highways are the typical 6-7% some short as few miles and like Whitebird Grade is 6-7% at about 7 miles long. 

• Like 1