• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Manual Trans Conversion - Seeking Advice/Tips/Issues/etc

@dripley I wonder if you could have somehow got a defective clutch kit? Mine has not been grabby at all and feels just like the LUK clutch that came out of it. I also asked the guys at DAP when I bought it if they'd had any bad feedback and they said no, so it mustn't be a common thing....the throw out bearing going bad at 70k doesn't surprise me though after hearing Katoom's failed at 5k. I tried finding out from Valair who makes the one in their kit before I installed mine, and they said they get them from multiple different suppliers and that they didn't think they were US made. They told me that it's very hard to find any bearing that are made in the US? Anyway I took Katoom's advice and picked up an SKF throw out bearing when I did the install.

I bought my SB from DAP and they tried to steer me to a Valair DD organic. After my experience with the single I just did not want to take the chance on the same brand again. I even spoke with Jacob about what clutch he ran and it was the same SB I wanted. 

Maybe  a bad kit, I dont know. A throw out bearing should last the life of the clutch, my oe did to the tune of 255k. I does not sound like Valair knows what they are getting either. Now lets just hope I am not here in 50k miles with another bad bearing.

I am not by any means trying to say that Valair is a trash company. I am in a small minority of folks with problems. Just did not want to have the same problem again. Then I would be kicking my self.

Hi Everyone,

Well small update, parts order for the big items are being finalized tomorrow with an expected arrival of parts first week of July over three (3) separate shipments.  This is getting exciting but i am now nervous about everything working when i get done with the swap....rethinking the computer flashes.  The thought is to "make" the truck think its in neutral by keeping the NSS closed for the first bit until i can get the computers flashed.  Is that going to bite me? 

Hi Everyone,

I have purchased all the components but a clutch/flywheel kit as I am still in debate. I went to a diesel event with a good buddy last night and we got to talking about truck goals. He has an 07 5.9 and is getting ready to build his 48re & add EFI live tunes to be in the 450hp range. This got me thinking that I hadn't really crunched the numbers on my long term goal, as I was so focused on the swap itself.

I came up with the following calcs below, does anyone have any impute?

• Stock Engine = 235hp

• TS MVP = 65hp @ wheels, roughly 75hp @ crank is considering 15% drain train loss

• RV275 injectors (future mod) 40hp gain @ crank

• Small Water/methanol injection (future mod) assuming max 50hp @ wheels, 58hp @ crank

That would mean I could roughly have 408hp @ the crank, which is well beyond what I envisioned when thinking about the mods to my truck. I could nix the water/methanol kit but want to keep the stock turbo while having the ability to lower egt's when towing.

HX35 swap. You can get a used one for $300 or less. Better top end and keeps things cooler. Direct swap. I ran a WH1C(old HX35) with 100hp injectors and edge comp with no heat issues. On the other hand, I ran 60hp injectors and edge EZ with HY35 and things got toasty. 

I'm expecting a detailed write up with pictures for this manual conversion :)

On 6/26/2016 at 0:52 PM, CTcummins24V said:

HX35 swap. You can get a used one for $300 or less. Better top end and keeps things cooler. Direct swap. I ran a WH1C(old HX35) with 100hp injectors and edge comp with no heat issues. On the other hand, I ran 60hp injectors and edge EZ with HY35 and things got toasty. 

I'm expecting a detailed write up with pictures for this manual conversion :)

?

What exactly are you looking for to be answered, so I can make sure to try & best answer that item ? I have mapped out the deconstruction & install sequences, maybe I am not understanding the work required... but it looks pretty straight forward.  

Few Pictures from today's work - total time spent was 1 1/4 hrs due to other commitments.  The truck is setup in the work shop and the interior (front half) is all removed.  Next weekend is the heavy/greasy stuff and all of the parts will be in hand by next Thursday.

Work Shop.jpg

Work Shop 2.jpg

20160703_133641.jpg

20160703_133656.jpg

20160703_153443.jpg

20160703_153447.jpg

20160703_153453.jpg

• Like 2

Well, the truck is ready for the manual trans install next weekend !  Tear down/decommissioning of the auto took me about 5hrs worth of work.  I did not take any photos as i was way too dirty to handle my phone.

Post any questions in this thread if you have them and I will do my best to answer.

:cheers:

• Owner

Don't forget to get your new cup holder for the floor and change the dash cup holder (auto) for the pocket (manual). Being you'll not be able to fold down the old dash one with a stick in the way. Take notice to the dimples in the floor metal that is where 2 screw are shot in for the cup holder the other two where use for the old floor trim around the transfer case lever.

Well everyone, I will sum up this weekend's work in the following manner.  To answer the quick question....no its not road worthy yet and that's a sore subject.... Enjoy and a true update with photos to come this week. 

Sat Start: :thumb1:

25% thru Weekend: :doh:

50% thru Weekend: :ahhh:

75% thru Weekend: :broke:  (after 3 trips to the store....)

Sunday Evening: :mad:

Edited by NightHawk

On 7/18/2016 at 6:56 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Usually so much better to have both truck sitting side by side also the same year and start swapping parts and pieces. Always end up looking for some small part you over looked or don't have.

Well the store trips were rather my bad, one was for hardware I failed to buy online (bolts for clutch hydros), one for RTV (my tube in the box was bad) and the last one was for alignment dowels for the trans install.  Regardless it burned up too much time.

As for the current status, the NV4500 is installed & the only major component left to install is the transfercase which will be this Sat morning.  The truck should be driveable by Sat afternoon if all goes per my plan (when does that happen though),  The trans install was very difficult for those who are thinking about this swap,  Why you wonder, well without a proper transmission jack (i don't have one), the proper angle of the engine/trans install was hard to achieve.  It took my dad & myself 5 attempts to get everything to slid together nicely.

Cutting the floor in the proper location also slowed us down too, as we had to retrim 3-4 times (went too small on purpose) as I am somewhat of a perfectionist. 

9 hours ago, NightHawk said:

Well the store trips were rather my bad, one was for hardware I failed to buy online (bolts for clutch hydros), one for RTV (my tube in the box was bad) and the last one was for alignment dowels for the trans install.  Regardless it burned up too much time.

As for the current status, the NV4500 is installed & the only major component left to install is the transfercase which will be this Sat morning.  The truck should be driveable by Sat afternoon if all goes per my plan (when does that happen though),  The trans install was very difficult for those who are thinking about this swap,  Why you wonder, well without a proper transmission jack (i don't have one), the proper angle of the engine/trans install was hard to achieve.  It took my dad & myself 5 attempts to get everything to slid together nicely.

Cutting the floor in the proper location also slowed us down too, as we had to retrim 3-4 times (went too small on purpose) as I am somewhat of a perfectionist. 

Try an nv5600 with a floor jack and a 5'4" weakling :lol: 

I feel your struggle!

I was very lucky with my first trans removal. Only had a floor jack and it went on first try. My wife persuaded it on the last 1.5" with her freaking #4 tennis shoe. A lucky day. The second time I had a HF tranny jack with the adjusters. It is rated at 600# IIRC. The way it sat on the  jack I could only use one of the adjusters with out the help of some large pliers. It did not turn out any easier but it was much more stable than the floor jack.

Edited by dripley