• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No clutch pedal, can't get NV4500 into gear

So, I was towing my boat back and no issues until I went to put it in reverse.   It was acting like it was stuck.  After I backed in the boat, I put the brake on, unhooked the boat.  Jumped back in and then tried putting it in first, with the brake on...:doh:

So, soon after getting home that I tried to put it in reverse and no go.  the pedal went right to the floor, and it would not go into gear unless the engine was off.

Is this a broken clutch fork, stuck throwout bearing.and do I need a new clutch master/salve  cylinder?  I rebuilt the tranny last year, replaced the clutch 2 years ago, and now have 350,000 miles, with about 70k on the clutch.

Thanks for any help 

GSX455

• Owner
23 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

If you get new clutch hydros, I recomend autozone. The ones I got from them have a heavy cast aluminum master and slave cylinder. It even has a bleeder screw! They are about $150.

Even buying the part separated from Autozone you can do it for $95... that's a $55 dollar saving do it your self and bleeding the system out before you install it.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/clutch-master-cylinder/duralast-clutch-master-cylinder/dodge/ram-2500-3-4-ton-4wd/2002/6-cylinders-6-5-9l-turbo-diesel/426195_0_0/?checkfit=true

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/clutch-slave-cylinder/duralast-clutch-slave-cylinder/dodge/ram-2500-3-4-ton-4wd/2002/6-cylinders-6-5-9l-turbo-diesel/426213_0_0/

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Owner
8 hours ago, joecool911 said:

When my clutch went out on my gasser, I'd start it in 1st gear and shift without the clutch. Should be able to get a reasonable distance without a clutch.

Not exactly something I suggest doing but in a pinch it will get you home if you know what your doing. I've practise with my truck off and on and very capable of rowing up and down without a clutch at all. Just need the clutch to launch beyond that I can float all the gears up or down. Again this is not something I suggest...

So, I looked at the interior clutch rod to the master and it is wet with brake (?) fluid.  I'll disconnect the slave from the tranny to make sure the fork is still engaged.

I had my other car in running condition, so I'll install the master/slave this weekend.  Thanks for all the help

If you buy the separated master and slave cylinders from a parts store then you'll have to assemble them and bench bleed the system before installing because the hydraulic line from master to the slave runs up and over the hydro assist system which prevents air from purging.  Just so you know..... :thumbup2:

• Like 1

I don't disagree with bench bleeding before install, but to me it's worth a little extra $ to get the new line and not have to fiddle with removing and attaching new master and slave cylinders to the line. If you get the whole setup, all you gota do is hang it vertically, do a few good squeezes on the slave with the reservoir cap off to make sure there's no air, and your good to go. Then if you got the setup from autozone, and you do have issues after the install, you've got a bleeder screw to work with. No more taking it off the truck to bench bleed at that point. Just my opinion of course :thumbup2:

That was not me implying one was better than the other but merely stating a fact for someone who may or may have not known that you cant simply install your local parts store master/slave and expect to bleed it on the truck.....

• Like 1

• Owner

The bleed screw editions of hydros tend to be really fun and easy to screw up. Being the reservoir is only a few ounces of fluid and you trying to push air downhill hill while the air attempting to rise up hill. Just easier to remove remove it and push the air up hill. The master / reservoir doesn't have the volume like the brake system for bleeding. Like Chevy truck of got this and it still a fight to clear the system of air because again pushing air downhill while it attempting to rise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions,  the bleeding and re-install  went well  enough.  The clutch was spongy at first, but then tightened up better after a day of driving.   I bought the Auto Zone slave cylinder, and it has a bleeder screw.  Is it worth it for the last bit of spongy feeling to try the bleeder screw, or leave it alone, since it is driveable?  

Thanks!