• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Drive without front driveshaft

Will I do any damage to my truck if I take out the front driveshaft and drive, obviously no 4x4? I have to check it this weekend for play, but I can afford to have the shaft rebuilt/yoke replaced right now. Reasoning behind this is a front end vibration at speeds. I'm having some new u joints pressed in today for both axle shafts but both u joints seem tight. Front end is new, new wheel bearings last year, ball joints are tight. Guy at the drivetrain shop said the yoke is probably shot...

34 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

Will I do any damage to my truck if I take out the front driveshaft and drive, obviously no 4x4? I have to check it this weekend for play, but I can afford to have the shaft rebuilt/yoke replaced right now. Reasoning behind this is a front end vibration at speeds. I'm having some new u joints pressed in today for both axle shafts but both u joints seem tight. Front end is new, new wheel bearings last year, ball joints are tight. Guy at the drivetrain shop said the yoke is probably shot...

Do you have a CAD? If so, the shaft shouldn't be spinning fast enough to cause a vibration....

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Do you have a vacuum motor on the passenger side rear of the axle or not? Basically CAD axle has a vacuum motor that slides a coupler ring between the inner and outer shafts of the passenger side shaft to bind them together. DSCF6052.JPG

Yes, I have that

When you're making sure the driveshaft is not unintentionally engaged have the engine running, because the vacuum pump is supplying vacuum only when the engine is on.  When the engines off the vacuum stops and if the problem is related to the vacuum switch on the TC then you may be misled.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Just want to chime in.. mine is a 99 and just because it doesn't spin.. it did have a vibration due to the cv joint being shot. 

I'm NOT attacking your comment, but let me just point a couple things out.  1) there's no CV joint on these trucks.  The double u-joint on the front driveshaft is called a double cardan joint.  Totally different than a CV (constant velocity) joint found on front wheel drive cars and independent front suspension 4wd vehicles.  2) If the 4wd system is "part-time" (only on the CAD trucks) then the driveshaft will not spin at road speeds in 2wd and will not cause any vibration.  Its impossible for it to do so as its hardly moving while in 2wd.  Your vibration had to be coming from some other source or the front driveshaft was somehow engaged while in 2wd.

Again, I dont want to seem like I'm hassling you.....just merely making some points clear. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

I'm NOT attacking your comment, but let me just point a couple things out.  1) there's no CV joint on these trucks.  The double u-joint on the front driveshaft is called a double cardan joint.  Totally different than a CV (constant velocity) joint found on front wheel drive cars and independent front suspension 4wd vehicles.  2) If the 4wd system is "part-time" (only on the CAD trucks) then the driveshaft will not spin at road speeds in 2wd and will not cause any vibration.  Its impossible for it to do so as its hardly moving while in 2wd.  Your vibration had to be coming from some other source or the front driveshaft was somehow engaged while in 2wd.

Again, I dont want to seem like I'm hassling you.....just merely making some points clear. :thumbup2:

Thanks for correcting me.. yes.. cardan joint.. sorry. However...  I did have a vibration coming from it.. as the joint was in so bad of shape it carried any engine vibration or road vibration right through it. Maybe a different vibration than a spinning shaft.... now stop hassling me :moon:

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie
  • Like 1

I think pictures do best for something like this.  In short, a CV joint is a constant velocity and a double cardan joint is a "near" constant velocity.  Its very common to hear them being called one in the same.  CV joints are found on front wheel drive vehicles and 4wd vehicles with independent front suspension.  Double cardan joints are found on driveshafts.  Some older luxury cars had dual double cardan driveshafts (one on each end of the driveshaft) so as to lessen any and all u-joint harmonics.

Here's some pictures of a CV joint and a double cardan joint, whereby you can clearly see they're nothing alike.  If you want to learn more about their mechanical differences then Google may be your best friend because I'd probably end up making a mockery of the explanation. :thumbup2:

35 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Thanks for correcting me.. yes.. cardan joint.. sorry. However...  I did have a vibration coming from it.. as the joint was in so bad of shape it carried any engine vibration or road vibration right through it. Maybe a different vibration than a spinning shaft.... now stop hassling me :moon:

Oh now the hassling is on like donkey kong..... :poke:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 4

Just keeping it real.....  How can someone learn from anything if no ones going to make sure the information being given is accurate.  I wouldn't know half the garbage I know today if it wasn't for someone thankfully setting me straight one way or another.

That doesnt mean I'm right either.....  I always tell my kids to question what you're being told because following blindly is no different than being controlled. :thumbup2:

• Like 2